World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come across any wrasse in the Fife area yet? I realise it's probably too early but you never know - with all this talk of mackerel someone might have had one or two. Any advice gratefully received.

Ta
Blenny

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Bit early yet Blenny,first one I had last year was early June.Usually the first things to show for the summer are wee brown cod in May,which get redder,(and bigger)as the time passes up until June/July when there's most, until September or so when they start to fade awayThe wrasse start appearing in June,getting more common until September/October when they are at their height.Then disappear overnight practically.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Bit early yet Blenny,first one I had last year was early June.Usually the first things to show for the summer are wee brown cod in May,which get redder,(and bigger)as the time passes up until June/July when there's most, until September or so when they start to fade awayThe wrasse start appearing in June,getting more common until September/October when they are at their height.Then disappear overnight practically.

have you ever tried hardback crabs up that way like we see henry do on the box ?

Mark

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
i though about that marcus not sure how they go on hook henry never seem to show unless i missed it

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
have you ever tried hardback crabs up that way like we see henry do on the box ?

Mark
Yep,but with little success for some reason.As you say,seems to work in some areas.A good wrasse bait round here,which is along the similar lines,is small hermit crabs that you find in the rock pools.I just crack the shells with a pair of self grips and then hook then once through the back and leave the soft tail dangling.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
i though about that marcus not sure how they go on hook henry never seem to show unless i missed it
I think the idea is to simply hook then through the back of the shell from underneath,(the wee bit we call the purse round here),and have the hook point poking out the back.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey Adeys, pull a middle leg off, pop the hook through the hole & bring it our just inside the middle 'plate ' on the underside. Goes on no probs, stays on, other legs 'wriggle' & tiny wee ones under a float are :) IMO cheers keith

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the info gents. I did see a hermit presented as a great bait on another thread. It looked the business. That's another thing to try out later in the year.
:clap3:

Blenny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts