World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys...

Has anyone managed to get down Aberavon recently and have they been catching?? Been down a couple of times recently, off the beach, but it's fairly quiet. Anyone catching?? Cheers lads

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Pottsy went there last night ,fished low tide in front of the naval ,couple of returned whiting, moved up to the steps around 6 and have some lovely whiting 2lb+ a couple of dabs returned ,plus a rather heavy bite which I failed to land not sure whats it was but rather excited before the bugger let go , by the way there was a ford sierra in the water as well some clown drove it in there the night before .
Cheers Jury

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Jury
What was the Sierra feeding on, perhaps that was the heavy bite you had? would have been a sod to carry to the scales though!
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Jury
After telling me about these 2lb whiting, & the heavy bite (you are not the first one to have this happen this week) I am definitely going to fish Aberavon instead of Amroth at the weekend, big tides should mean the fishing prospects are good.
I will definitely have the "bare arsed pennel rig" out, & if anything grabs hold of what I am reeling in, it will have a mouthful of Mustad Viking 70515 5/0 up his Khyber!
Where is best to fish the Naval Club end or the Lido area, & do you fish bottom up, half up & over, last two up first 2 back "or wot", lug, rag, lug/squid, "or wot" (as they say in Cardiff).
Any info would be a great help, I may even try a spark plug see if I can catch a Sierra!
blueskip

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one fellas!!!
Sounds like you've all done better than i have recently. After my escapades last week i took 2 rods down, one armed with Squid/lug and the other with the biggest damn mackerel head you ever seen and pelted it out and left it but didn't get any decent touches all nite!!!! Sods law...Still think there's a few Congers sniffin around...May get down there soon to check it out....
Fancy a new car..is the Sierra tax and M.O.T'd ???!!!

Catch ya soon fella's..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi all ,Well I went down early this morning for a walk 1.30am actually unable to sleep.
There were a couple of lads fishing at the ramp in the middle of the beach blanked all of them.
They were using lug and squid tipped .
I personally have never had much faith in squid (But ) I seen a pack being given to some lads that were off to Redwick in Dragon baits the other day and I thought for 2 squid pardon the punn,I'll have some of them ,they were not the Calamari type,but small hook size little buggers. there was about thirty or so of them in a pack ,and indeed that's what I had the whiting on ,I had half a pound of king rag and they picked up the dabs,and the blow did'nt attract anything except of course the Sierra!!!!!!
Two hook paternost. and a single hook clip down on the other rod were the tools for the night .
coulped with a G5 and fixed spool and my new Abu Conolon with a mag
As I stated ,I fished the lower end in front of the Naval for the low water.moving closer the the steps for the incoming tide which was just over 9 mtr.
The reason for the latter was I forgot my tip lights and there's enough light near the steps not to bother you ,plus having already lost a BMW from the car park last year, I was able to see my jeep from the mark .Not that I could have legged it if someone was after it,At 48 my running days are done.
There big tides this week will produce good fish i'm pretty certain of that so tight lines.
Cheers jury

G

·
I fished Aberavon from the beach last Friday 3/12/04 from 18:30 hrs to 21:30 with high tide at 22:22 hrs. The last hour and a bit was very busy with bites as soon as you cast in. Unfortunatley I only hooked a schoolie bass so he went back of course. But the rod tip did not stop rattling during my last hour of fishing until my bait ran out. I was using mackerel strips on a two hook paternoster. I was abit dissapointed that I did not catch anything substantial but at least there were fish out there which gives hope !!!!!!!

Bought some chineese calamari squid at the W/E from the local tackle shop. The owner reckons that this type of squid which is a miniture version of the baby squid you can buy is only available now and again. It is just small enough to fit one ona hook with out having to cut it up. Will give them a go next time out. Any body else used or come across these squid before.

Hoping to get down there again sooner rather than later.

Tight Lines........

T

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Now come on lads lets get this sorted out, am I going to catch anything this weekend at Aberavon, or am I going to blank on lug/squid cocktail, & catch on rag & macky heads, is somebody going to nick my Discovery & worse still drive it into the tide by the side of me. Do I go low water through to high fish 2 up & 2 back, or do I go on the p**s in the "worky". I fancy some of these big whiting, & a crack at the "mystery fish", but all these blanks are starting to get to me, & is my Abu484 too "dated" to catch? all these variables could send me back to Amroth!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
i know what u mean, i went there the other day to target this mistery fish with big baits and had no joy, however the whiting are being caught on mack and rag, nothing really on lug and squid

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Kelvin
Then Aberavon on Saturday/Sunday/or Monday night it is, with a bucket of rag & some smelly mackerel, & if I have any luck maybe a few razor as well.
Do you advise fishing from low water up, or from 3hrs b4 HW to 2hrs after HW, nothing worse than going to a mark when it doesn't fish!
blueskip

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it's pretty much hit or miss down there. When the fish are in, you can't stop catching with loads of bites but i've been down recenlty on the low tides and only had 1 or 2...Saying that the larger tides are swinging in, so anything from low tide to just after high seems to be best...Depends if you're into Sierra's or not....I've heard it's one to look out for.

Let us know how the comp went will you lads??? Any Cod/decent catches??

Cheers fellas

·
Registered
50 Posts
i phoned afan angling asking bout the beach and he told me loads of whiting were caught last nite but no cod. ill be going there saturday nite from bout 11ish till 7ish so ill let u know how i get on.

G

·
Thanks Kelvin for the info on the Comp. I did not fish it but does anybody know what won.

Hoping to get down there this weekend some time either early morning or evening tides. Can't decide yet.

I am looking for a tilley lamp any body out there know where the best place to get one of these.

Tight lines.........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts