World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought about buying a couple of lobster pots but they seem quite expensive and postage isn't cheap. I've heard that some make their own and wondered if any of you guys had any instructions? Thanks Joanne.:clap3: P.S. JohnyP went fishing off Flambourough Head 2 weeks ago and caught loads of cod. When again last weekend and caught nothing - same place, same tackle, same conditions. Tis one of life's mysteries. P.P.S. JohnyP not very good with computer so I have to post his questions for him.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Thought about buying a couple of lobster pots but they seem quite expensive and postage isn't cheap. I've heard that some make their own and wondered if any of you guys had any instructions? Thanks Joanne.:clap3: P.S. JohnyP went fishing off Flambourough Head 2 weeks ago and caught loads of cod. When again last weekend and caught nothing - same place, same tackle, same conditions. Tis one of life's mysteries. P.P.S. JohnyP not very good with computer so I have to post his questions for him.
Hi Joanne,
Buy him one of those springy folding ones, they work very well and you should be able to pick one up for a fiver - tackle shops or eBay. I made one once, took me hours, then second trip out it was nicked. Never again! Caught two lobbys first trip though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not buying any more fishing equipment. I've already bought him a boat seat and pedestal. Last birthday I bought him 2 fishing rods and reels. Now he wants a colour screen GPS. (Wouldn't mind if he thought about buying me a bunch of flowers now and then - Thinks he's giving me the earth by bringing me a couple of cod home). Anyway, his mate reckons those cheap fold up ones are no good. Apparently they're too light weight to hold the bottom - too much movement for the lobby's to want to get in. How did you make yours? Luv Joanne

C

·
0 Posts
I'm not buying any more fishing equipment. I've already bought him a boat seat and pedestal. Last birthday I bought him 2 fishing rods and reels. Now he wants a colour screen GPS. (Wouldn't mind if he thought about buying me a bunch of flowers now and then - Thinks he's giving me the earth by bringing me a couple of cod home). Anyway, his mate reckons those cheap fold up ones are no good. Apparently they're too light weight to hold the bottom - too much movement for the lobby's to want to get in. How did you make yours? Luv Joanne
Will you marry me Joanne? My wife cant stand fish or fishing and would not dream of buying me any fishing tackle. Time to trade her in I think:unsure: .
If not then as mentioned before get a couple of the cheap fold up ones from Ebay, but weight them down well. They should last long enough for the novelty to wear off.
The other option is to have a look along the beach after a good storm for any washed up that may need minor repairs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha !! Can't believe it. I've been trying to get him to marry me for the last 8 years and a bloke I've never even met proposes to me !! Just my luck. Am going to order a couple of those fold up pots on eBay only £4.75 so even if they're no good it isn't a lot of money to lose.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hi joanne we were same loads of fish sat& sun this sun just two codling does he launch from south beach if so we,ll look out for you or give a call on radio the boats g force regards steve

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If you're after serious shellfish, steer well clear of the foldy ones. I tried one, didn't last 5 minutes. the net is not much heavier than the stuff they make the kids fishing nets out of from the bucket and spade shops, even small shore crabs/velevets will rip straight through it.

the other problem is the size of the eye, they're not very big so the post will fill with loads of small velvets, and undersized brown crabs

best bet is go find a working pot boat and ask to buy a couple. I got 3 for a tenner last year. they chap didn't want anything at first as the pots were in his opinion on their last legs for commercial gauling but for me they've been champion, couple of teeny holes to fill up with twine and that was it.

go for crab pots rather than true lobster prawn pots. the eyes are bigger so large brown crabs can get in and there's stacks more of them than lobsters around, but you still stand the chance of the odd lobby now and then.

they're not that expensive new though, and a couple of new ones will last a lifetime, unless you plan on going out everyday

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/ProductsMenu.aspx?cat_id=4478 27 quid apiece plus 7 quid for postage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Yazamaan. Yes, he goes out from the South Beach. His boat and his mate's boat are kept in the compound. JohnyP's boat is an 18' Picton Kingfisher called Sea Hawk and his mates' boat is an 18' Raider called Yahoo. Are you going to Brid this weekend? JohnyP is going down to do some work on his boat and might go out depending on weather. I might go with him cos we're thinking about selling up and moving to Brid permanent - so I might go looking for a house. Joanne.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hi again yes will be at brid at weekend we have a caravan at flamboro i have seen both boats in first compound saw yahoo launch about 11 on sat g force is in the 4th compound a raider 18 will say hello at the weekend regards steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi egbg,

Thanks for advice. Have just gone to gaelforcemarine website and had a look at their pots. Will take your advice on the crab pots being more diverse than the dedicated lobster pots.

Off to bed now - work in the morning.

Regards. Joanne

·
Registered
595 Posts
hi again yes will be at brid at weekend we have a caravan at flamboro i have seen both boats in first compound saw yahoo launch about 11 on sat g force is in the 4th compound a raider 18 will say hello at the weekend regards steve
ps don,t think the collapsable pots of ebay will last very long at flamboro also had probs with pots dissappearing commercial potters getting blame!! who knows steve

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Anyway, his mate reckons those cheap fold up ones are no good. Apparently they're too light weight to hold the bottom - too much movement for the lobby's to want to get in. How did you make yours? Luv Joanne
You need to weight them down, I use a length of pipe filled with concrete. The alternative is to clutter your boat up with big heavy (and expensive) creels - depends what you want. A folding pot is ideal to leave down while you are fishing, but would never last through a storm if you left it out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very interested in this collapsible lobster pot idea - for £7 inc P&P from ebay is worth a shot! I live on the South Coast near Swanage so will drop it off Old Harry / Durlston - Would I catch anything worth eating?

Could you also weight it, attach it to a buoy, then come back later or would it drift a lot?

C

·
0 Posts
Very interested in this collapsible lobster pot idea - for £7 inc P&P from ebay is worth a shot! I live on the South Coast near Swanage so will drop it off Old Harry / Durlston - Would I catch anything worth eating?

Could you also weight it, attach it to a buoy, then come back later or would it drift a lot?
That is what you need to do anyway otherwise how will you know where you left it?
I tried it with one of the Ebay ones off Portland last year and marked it on my plotter. We lifted and rebaited it every morning but all we got were spider crabs:yucky: .

The way I set mine up was with a very small anchor, then a few feet of 8mm rope, then the net weighted both ends, enough rope to reach the surface at high tide + another 20ft or so. Finally I attached 2 small buoys about 6 ft apart so that when we retrieved it we could see what way the tide was running to avoid running over the line.

T

·
0 Posts
The folding ones are really only big enough to get prawns in.

If you look att he size of the entrance holes they are usually smaller than a tennis ball... ...Not much of a crab or lobster will fit in there, however stick it by a harbour wall for a few hours whilst you are fishing and it should get quite a few good sized prawns.

If you truly want Brown Crabs and Lobster then you do really need to invest in a proper creel from the likes of http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/ProductsMenu.aspx?cat_id=4478

Big and Bulky, but it is designed for big and bulky beasties to crawl into.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cascars - I meant that the seller on ebay stated to bring a line into shore. I would just drop it off the back of the boat!!

I think I might try the collapsible ones – good for a bit of a laugh.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

If you look att he size of the entrance holes they are usually smaller than a tennis ball... ...Not much of a crab or lobster will fit in there, however stick it by a harbour wall for a few hours whilst you are fishing and it should get quite a few good sized prawns.

If you truly want Brown Crabs and Lobster then you do really need to invest in a proper creel from the likes of http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/ProductsMenu.aspx?cat_id=4478

Big and Bulky, but it is designed for big and bulky beasties to crawl into.
not true mate, got 1 of ebay bout 2 weeks ago and have a had a nice size lobby small conger, rocking and a loads of just undersized edibles:)

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
I have had plenty of crabs in mine, if you are a bit handy you could enlarge the entrance slightly as it is a soft eye stretched tight so the victims have to squeeze in and can't find the way out. Not a big job to enlarge the hole and re-fit the ties. For under £7 and taking up no storage space, I would try these first!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts