World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going out on that boat on Saturday. Heard it's good for mackerel but wondering if anyone's caught anything else off it and using what rigs.
Tight lines all round!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have been out from Largs but the boat we went on has since stopped doing fishing trips. We caught loads of mackerel and I managed a codling (we only fished with feathers). You might get pollack and codling as well as mackerel. I would take a disposable bbq if you can and cook up some fresh mackerel onboard. Lovely!

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
it depends on if you have booked the boat or not if the boat is your booking get him to take you to the catalina wreak of milport or to the north end of milport there is not bad fishing but can get into a mackeral bash if left to skipper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went out to a few marks around Greater and Little Cumbrae with mackerel being almost the sole species caught, though in good numbers and a few good sized.
Tiny codling and saithe also made a show, though wished they didn't as the tiny codling invariably died from hooking trauma. Skipper, a seasoned 74 year old gent,
did try for some pollack for us but to no avail.
I think Tony Wass's Rachael Claire is the only boat from the Ayrshire coast from which a good chance of catching decent fish presides.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Could anyone give me a name/number of the boat at Largs as I feel like a bit of Mackerel bashing coming on, although I'm trying to find somewhere for the w/e . I believe the boat that doesnt do trips anymore was the Flying Eagle out of the Yacht Marina. I used to go on it quite a bit, it was a really nice boat and good fun but the best cod I witnessed on it was about 2lb :( . Saying that, his brochure had a picture of a 10lber caught off Millport a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Think this is the boat you are talking about.....

http://www.flying-eagle.co.uk/

Was gonna book a trip myself but cant get a date when all of my fishing buddys can get time of work together... :mad:

Anyway good luck m8 if you get a trip on boat, mind and let us know how you get on...

cheers :) :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The boat I was on goes out from Largs beach itself on weekends. There is a 10am to 2pm then a 2.30 to 6.30 trip at £20 per head for a 4 hour trip. The boat is a renovated open wood boat aboat 75 years old. Lovely boat well renovated and cared for.
It was my mate who booked it so I'll need to get the number off him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Think this is the boat you are talking about.....

http://www.flying-eagle.co.uk/

Was gonna book a trip myself but cant get a date when all of my fishing buddys can get time of work together... :mad:

Anyway good luck m8 if you get a trip on boat, mind and let us know how you get on...

cheers :) :cool:
phoned that number and an answer machine and it said they do not do sea angling trips anymore.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Last time I went out on a wooden boat form largs left from the beach in front of the carpark.

skippers first name was Derek,can't remember second name,

The mobile number I have is 07931275571.

mind you I've had that number for two years, the boats name was SILVERSPRAY.

Hope that helps............tight lines

Eck

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I think Derek's boat is still there but not sure. Knew the guys who renovated it and they spent a lot of time! The thing was parked in view of the road in fairlie for a year or so while it was being done and every time I went past it I used to try and picture it in the water!

Eventually it went in and started doing tourist trips etc.

A slow relaxed and enjoyable trip out I'm sure. Don't expect to be zipping out to a dozen marks in a day though!

·
Registered
456 Posts
The boat I was on goes out from Largs beach itself on weekends. There is a 10am to 2pm then a 2.30 to 6.30 trip at £20 per head for a 4 hour trip. The boat is a renovated open wood boat aboat 75 years old. Lovely boat well renovated and cared for.
It was my mate who booked it so I'll need to get the number off him.
C'mon Iain I know lots of these things have auto pilot and such like but to say the boat you were on goes out from Largs beach itself, takes a little believing don't you think :roll1::roll1:

If it's not got skipper on it I'm not getting on it : :whistling:whistling

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
There were a few wooden boats that Dougie ran from Largs promenade.

The White Heather is the only 1 remember.

Then again that was 30 years ago:bye2:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Haha Norrie! Well spotted, quite sharp for a, *cough* older chap aren't you!

We can blame the newb above who restarted it, obviously was searching through old threads and saw this one before he replied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts