World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title says will probz head down tomorrow has anyone had any results there i know of people catching bass at the beach but not in big numbers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Never have but have often meant to
Don't know much about it but any time I've heard any reports there have been fish caught.

Reactions: kingloudog

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Far right Corner as ye drive up the pier has a set of steel ladders over the back, caught loads of Doggies here, but just keep an eye on the tide as a Spring will see ye up to your oxsters in water:), had Mackerel from the front of the pier on a high tide to Mackerel baits, some small Flatties. Only ever fished the pier with my Da, as he was sick and it was an easy mark to get to:cool2:

Still a few fish to keep ye happy if you fancy it KLD:D

Mark...;)

Reactions: kingloudog

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know Down in General is not supposed to be as ptoductive in general as Antrim (hopefully nothing controversial there, I've seen it written loads on this forum). But at the same time there are supposed to be spots. I wish they'd publish a guide like the wonderful one they did for The Causeway Coast and Glens.

All I know is this but you may have seen it:

https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore - down.htm

Very dated but probably of some relevance.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I know Down in General is not supposed to be as ptoductive in general as Antrim (hopefully nothing controversial there, I've seen it written loads on this forum). But at the same time there are supposed to be spots. I wish they'd publish a guide like the wonderful one they did for The Causeway Coast and Glens.

All I know is this but you may have seen it:

https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore - down.htm

Very dated but probably of some relevance.

Down used to be great but a lot of regular marks are useless now, I've went big I've went long on the cast on bigger power tackle and hit squat, on the sand and rough not even a nibble. No problemo, I'll just do something I've never really done before and target a specific species of fish, this year I'm going for flounder and have my spot picked out already. Our tourism board doesn't sell Co Down enough to anglers sea or Coarse. Antrim, err it's got like these naturally occurring pillars things made from volcanic basalt. Just because I was born in Antrim doesn't make me a lover of saffron. Up the down!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was fishing off Ballywalter Pier today at hight tide and on the turn. Local fisherman told me I was wasting my time that Ballyhalbert was better. On my way back to the car I heard the same advice from a local out for a walk. Caught zip. Was spinning and rubber lure. Did hear Ballywalter Beach was so so for Flounder though. Who knows though. The Down Coast is sparse of fish.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was fishing off Ballywalter Pier today at hight tide and on the turn. Local fisherman told me I was wasting my time that Ballyhalbert was better. On my way back to the car I heard the same advice from a local out for a walk. Caught zip. Was spinning and rubber lure. Did hear Ballywalter Beach was so so for Flounder though. Who knows though. The Down Coast is sparse of fish.
ballyhalbert ismy much better tbh lol ballywalter beach is gd for flounder have fished gd few time this year and last year and can throw up the odd surprise too

·
Registered
2 Posts
ballyhalbert ismy much better tbh lol ballywalter beach is gd for flounder have fished gd few time this year and last year and can throw up the odd surprise too
Cool.
I'm new to this and only getting into shore fishing. Can u please advise what bait and rig to use on Ballywalter Beach. Is there a particular month to fish? evening time ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool.
I'm new to this and only getting into shore fishing. Can u please advise what bait and rig to use on Ballywalter Beach. Is there a particular month to fish? evening time ?
blacklug/lug ragworm mackeral and bluey works best for me there coming into darkness and dark only time I catch there anytime realy in the year u will get flounder no problem

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Ballyhalbert pier does have fish over Winter, middle of the pier cast clean over the wall, your fishing over mixed ground close in but clean sand further out.

If you find your snagging a lot ? Learn how to cast :roflpuke:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ballyhalbert pier does have fish over Winter, middle of the pier cast clean over the wall, your fishing over mixed ground close in but clean sand further out.

If you find your snagging a lot ? Learn how to cast :roflpuke:

Fished that clean sand part many of times only dogs for me there and the odd smallish pollock and coalies on lures but I’ve yet to fish in winter I’d say on a winters night should throw up the odd codling

1 - 12 of 12 Posts