World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont quite know where to put this thread but decided to put in on here as it may be down to regional dialect,
anyhow tonight during my nightly vist to my nan in hospital we got to talking about fish and she can remenber when she was a kid her mum and uncle both getting a fish called
"TOERAG" :blink: from the fishmongers or what ever,this was cooked and served with boiled spuds.
Anyone any ideas what this fish is or was cos it got me stumped:unsure:
oh and my nan is 94 in june if that helps

·
Registered
631 Posts
hummm toerag i dont know what to say about that one dee:g: 94 is she it might just be her age m8 if you know what i mean

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hummm toerag i dont know what to say about that one dee:g: 94 is she it might just be her age m8 if you know what i mean
naw mate my nan is as sharp as thay come,nowt wrong with her grey matter or memory.
shes only in hospital cos she fell and snapped her femur.some of the stories she can recall are amazing.
having to make starling and blackbird pies during the war comes to mind

·
Registered
631 Posts
naw mate my nan is as sharp as thay come,nowt wrong with her grey matter or memory.
shes only in hospital cos she fell and snapped her femur.some of the stories she can recall are amazing.
having to make starling and blackbird pies during the war comes to mind
well at 94 m8 she is one hell of a strong bird , hope she gets out soon , i used to call my brother a toerag when i was a kid , ill have to look it up now :notworthy

·
Registered
2 Posts
My father was a fish monger - toerag was a salted cod - dried and enrusted with salt - it was popular with the penioners in Swansea - we assume it got the name toerag as it stunk of old cheesy feet. I never got up the bottle to try it though the old man used to eat it regularly and stink the house out.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Beautiful, saltfish that has been dried in salt (the old method before freezers were invented), soaked overnight to get the salt out, then rinsed in fresh water, & boiled in milk with a few onions, catholics always had it on Fridays, still popular in parts of Southern Ireland, my father used to call it "Board of Trade Salmon"?
blueskip

·
Registered
276 Posts
`Toerag` as a term of mild abuse comes from the colonial English.. who else... who took it from the Saharan tribe Tuareg. They must have considered them untrustworthy...pots and kettles I reckon..lol

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
`Toerag` as a term of mild abuse comes from the colonial English.. who else... who took it from the Saharan tribe Tuareg. They must have considered them untrustworthy...pots and kettles I reckon..lol
and sleep..................................lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts