World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of a place called hale(not sure of the spelling) harbour, which apparently is in cornwall somewhere. Just Wondering if anyone has been there as it is supposedly good for bass.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hayle harbour,near St Ives.Hayle harbour is built on a tidal estuary,where at different states of the tide and weather most species of local inshore fish can be had from mackerel to bass and your usual flats(flounder,plaice)There is also a tidal pool nearby where gilthead bream have been rumoured to have been caught.Good fishing can be had year round in St Ives bay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has anyone actually caught a gilthead in that pool? Everyone seems to have heard you get them there but have'nt spoken to anyone who has actually managed to snag one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
a friend of mine caught a 4 lber from the pool, was a beautiful fish. im pretty sure ive heard of an 8 lber caught a couple of years back though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi all, on the question of big bass in the estuary.... I think there definitely are! I know of a 7 1/2lber caught a couple of years ago, with several 3 - 5 lbers....all on live s/eel....but numbers are dwindling because of the heavy impact of the boats in the mouth of the estuary all summer long!! :mad:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes it is true there are a lot of gilthead bream here and recently a 9lb has been caught they are getting bigger as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No one mentioned the fab mullet on offer....currently over 1000 fish up by copper house pool.....try catching them though....mmmm....very difficult at the moment.

A 7lb bass caught last week near the entrance........so I am reliably informed....the giltheads seem to have disappeared with only the odd small one showing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts