World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help?

I am a true beginner to fishing and need any advice anyone can give me - from strength of line I'll need, size of hooks, how to use my reel (I am serious!), to what bait to use and anything else that you think would be useful.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Gibbsy.... :)

How long is a piece of string?

It depends where you're fishing, what you're hoping to catch etc..but I guess 20lb line covers most situations, hooks from size 4 to 4/0, leads from 1oz to 5oz plain and gripped. Most tackle shops will sell ready made rigs, some aimed at a particular species, but a general 2-3 hook rig with size 2 hooks would be a good start.

Do you have a local Angling club? They should be able to give you advice as should your tackle shop and the magazines..

Talk to other anglers in your area I'm sure they won't bite (a bit like the fish lately....)

Good luck and enjoy!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to WSF Gibbsy.
AS the previous post says...Read all the links on the site and ask as many questions as you can. All the lads and lasses on here started somewhere
and we are all more than happy to share info.
Whereabouts are you bud?
All the best
Terry F. :) :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
hi gibbsy

have you read the main tackle tips pages on this site and many of the other pages too.

if you have a tackle shop in town that sells fishing gear ask them, some owners are anglers themselves and will only be too happy to help.

where do you live? are you close to the sea? if you are take a walk along the beach and ask any anglers you see.... most will help you out.

Please don't think that you must buy the most expensive tackle, rods or reels to start off with... If you really enjoy sea fishing after a few months then look at the more expensive gear. it will save you a great deal of money in the long run...

have a great time in a great sport

Michael :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Hi gibbsy - check out the sports section of your local library. Chances are thay will have a couple of fishing books on the shelves with useful basic info on various types of tackle, rigs, knots, baits, etc It's a good place to start to familiarise yourself with the terms anglers will use when they talk about fishing.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome to the site gibbsy, as bassbites says theres no need 2 start off expensive m8, see if u can find some 1 who fishes near you, and try an tag along with them, hope u enjoy it, cant beat a spot of fishing........gets me away from the mrs anyway, but dun tell er ok........

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
The best advice I can give is find someone in your area who can help show you the ropes. There are a lot of good people on this site who will help you as much as they can. Good luck with the fishing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome gibbsy

I am a real novice too. My advice is read all the stuff on the left, white on blue, and as many mags as you can lay your hands on. Anything you're not sure about post a thread. It is better to ask one question at a time and be specific. If you are not, it will only result in questions coming back, not answers. For example if you want advice on a rod you must state where it is to be used, boat, beach, rocks uptide, downtide. The more info you give, the better the reply.

I now follow this principle and the info floods in.

Happy fishing

Fred

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Gibbsy,

Welcome to the great world of Sea Angling in general and to this Forum in particular.

I have a large collection of old Sea Angler magazines that are about to be thrown away within the next few months, if you want them they are yours for the asking.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
325 Posts
Gibbsy don't take them, he's a Scot. He gives the magazines away, but charges an absolute fortune for the old cardboard boxes they are in. I speak with authority, my mother was a Scot, and my dad always told me to watch my pocket money.

Fred

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
welcome gibbsy,just go out there and injoy fishing,,u will learn more u go fishing and what baits to use,check this site out mike done a brillent job.shaggy

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Gibbo

Welcome to the site. If not sure ask? Where do u fish in the UK that does help to get local info/tips. But what the other guys have said the column on the left is the best for advice.

Woodster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts