1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bream..... and lots of them :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
yeah casting further helps, but once you find one of the spots stick to it.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
There CAN be plenty of bream.......had about 30 in one session recently; BUT, returned on an almost identical tide, with identical conditions and only had 3!!

There are as many pout/wrasse etc that you can catch using baby hokkais baited with a scrap of worm to use as live bait for the bass.....but both times I have been, the only bass I saw was about 6" long.

Mackie and Gars may be about (Southend rig or float will sort them out if they are).

I should be going there tomorrow....but the wife has ruined that (friend over from abroad, only chance to see her for another year, not seen her for a year....yada, yada...damn selfish if you ask me?!!).

Biggest mistake people generally make there when trying to catch the bream....is to use hooks that are too big....a size six or eight will give you about a 75% hook up ratio (and they will hook themselves).

Best of luck....let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going on Sunday night/Monday morning and wondering what (simple) rigs to use for bass and bream
maybe a few flatties,
i have a limited budget...
Because i'm a child
but still any help would be great

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
when i use to fish for bream there many moons ago,i use to fish on the right hand side on the top of the pier,right on the end before the platform,use to fish rag on size 4 hooks,when the bream bite they are quick,small mouths,i use to pick the rod up and hold it,if you miss the bite,pull a little then they go for it again then strike use to get a good few like that

·
Registered
175 Posts
They are definitely doing this illegally. They need to be shopped and imposed heavy heavy punishment!!!! :bones::bangin::boxing::preachon:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well im only a child and i want to go to some places to catch my first saltwater fish, i have been trying the eastern road many a time and have been seeing Mullet ( lots of them ) but no bites, i am going to try shore fishing tomorrow next to Clarence pier or go on the pier near the hot walls, but today im trying the pier near the Farmhouse pub, Has anybody tried there and is it good experience for me to get my first fish or is southsea better, Much Appreciated :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't try the farmhouse today, its flipping windy and your unlucky to get any smaller fish to keep your rod tip nodding, if your lucky it would be a bass, mullet or flounder, Try South Parade Pier or clarence as there are plenty of pout etc to keep you happy and catching

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went yesterday caught 2 sea bass (First time i've ever caught one)
and a mackie,
using a bream rig,
but no bream :eek:hmy:
but still decent day fishing and a man we call "god of the sea" caught over 7 mackeral in 15 minutes just by dropping in feathers

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well done matie :)
was that on spp?? And what sort of size were the bass??

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote: Went for a walk along there last sunday, was a lot of small wrasse 3-4"being cuaght by the chinese and our other imagrant freinds,they where taking these buy the bucket load, is this legal? what do they do with them eat or put them in our currys?

Again it's the same old story. Not wanting to hijack the thread but we seem to be reading stories like this more and more.

I know it's a hot potato, but if a a sea fishing licence ensured that there were plenty of Fisheries Protection Officers who could pick up on this I would gladly see such 'anglers' fined very heavily. 500 quid would do for starters.. Hacks me off big time.

Rant over :crazy:

BuzzerJJ

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Quote: Went for a walk along there last sunday, was a lot of small wrasse 3-4"being cuaght by the chinese and our other imagrant freinds,they where taking these buy the bucket load, is this legal? what do they do with them eat or put them in our currys?

Again it's the same old story. Not wanting to hijack the thread but we seem to be reading stories like this more and more.

I know it's a hot potato, but if a a sea fishing licence ensured that there were plenty of Fisheries Protection Officers who could pick up on this I would gladly see such 'anglers' fined very heavily. 500 quid would do for starters.. Hacks me off big time.

Rant over :crazy:

BuzzerJJ

i totally agree, ive fished there since i was a kid. i learnt how to fish there. the place can be a cracking spot to fish, great for kids etc

i fished there last week. had 2 bass both 2.5lb on live pout. both returned. the amount of small fish thats kept of there is disgusting. the problem is alot of them are chavs and cant be educated, some of them wouldnt think twice sticking something in your back when your not looking.

id defo support having a rod licence if it put a stop to the taking of undersize fish. the problem is also the owner of the pier, if they are not bothered who goes on there and what they keep then whats the point. lose lose situation me thinks

·
Registered
707 Posts
Probably need Fisheries Officers to go around in pairs I reckon, to 'educate' if they receive any 'resistance'.

On a serious note though, This total lack of regard or respect for size limits does need to be cracked down on sonehow. The only way forward is for officials to carry out checks and act accordingly, but without funding it ain't gonna happen.. unfortunately.

BuzzerJJ

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Probably need Fisheries Officers to go around in pairs I reckon, to 'educate' if they receive any 'resistance'.

On a serious note though, This total lack of regard or respect for size limits does need to be cracked down on sonehow. The only way forward is for officials to carry out checks and act accordingly, but without funding it ain't gonna happen.. unfortunately.

BuzzerJJ
i actually think this forum could help. especially by deleting pictures and posts where undersize fish has clearly been kept. like the thread where undersize bream and a flattie were kept and the bloke couldnt give a toss. delete that sort of crap for a start. as it gives of a bad vibe.

i also think the 3 major magazines could also do more by educating youngsters etc with arcticals on size limits etc. sea angler put aside about 50 pages a month on bass fishing so maybe they should put 2 pages aside on size limits and the damage it does to future fish stocks by keeping undersize fish. just a start!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a little report about my trip to the pier near farmhouse, i didnt get anything but the people round me was catching good, with one of them with a great sized bass, and they both threw back two bass which was small, i support 100 %, South Parade Peir Today hope it will be good, hoping to use Mackie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok Then been fishing down south parade peir quite a few times now and your right it is better down there, i dont know wether to try clarence peir or not, what would i catch down there ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts