World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all im off tomorow night for bass and im trying poping up my sandeel baits just like i do when dead baiting for my pike,my rig is a running ledger with 2 hooks on a long trace the end hook im attaching a small piece of foam on a piece of line to the eye of the last hook so the foam is about 6inces from the sandeel. this will pop up the bait from the bottom. the depth it sits at can be altered by a small lead shot so its not lifting too high in the water. ive never tried this sea fishing i know this method works for pike but just interested if this has been done and did it make a differance.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
If the tide is running hard your bait will not float so much, I tried floating beads and the Crabs still rob the bait, maybe they grab the line and haul it in, as they are cleverer than we think

·
Registered
142 Posts
I Use an anti crab polystyrene pop up on all my bass traces from the shore i usually chop them in half so the bait has neutral bouyance in the water, the bass dont mind the float as i colour it rather than using coloured beads i only use it at night never tried it in the day , as soon as the shore crabs head off deeper i'll stop using it, but have had great results using the pop up method :clap2:

·
Registered
829 Posts
i use floating beads some very large ones lately and the crabs love them they chew them to bits i told my mate about it and he didn't believe it till he saw it. The pop up style your on about is OK on lakes butt in the sea there is a running tide the idea of keeping the bait moving in the current is OK but i think to work it will have to used with a link leadure style paternoster +off a boat were you can control the rig better like when they fish eddystone eels for Pollock +bass :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
The best way to fish a running tide is if poss use a plain lead and let it move down the tide, this keeps the Crabs on the run and catch fish as they swim faster than Crabs, works with most fish including Flatties, always worth a try if the beach is not snaggy or busy

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I lived in felixstowe many years ago there was a gully about 80 yards out and we used similar tactics there, plain lead on a sliding swivel and about a 6 foot trace.

·
Registered
941 Posts
ive been using a float on a running trace since last year, the float is a 1.5 " section of a polystyrene cigar float, it definatley keeps the bait away from the crabs and it catches the bass, over 20 since last august up to 4lb. the place i fish is full of crabs without it your bait is gone in mins with the float the bait is usually still on after winding it in after 15mins or so.
for anyone interested this is the rig..its a flowing trace of 3ft off 25lb amnesia, swivel at one end, slip on bead ,float, bead. swivel at other end. secure position of bead/float/ bead with laccy band stop knot either side of b/f/b so it can be slid up and down trace. i usually leave the float at the hook end. tie on the hook length , 18" of 15lb amnesia, snell on a size 4 hook , ive been using mustard crab hooks for this and leave a tail of line about 4" long and tie on a 3/0 green mustard cod hook. its basicly a pennel rig with the top hook fixed. the reason for the small hook is we use rag as bait, slide the rag up the hook and head hook the rag on the small hook it gives great presentaion. should work great with sandeel. the reason for the seperate hooklength.. were plagued with snottys so it only requies a new hook length when they mess up the rig. out of all the fish on this rig about 75% were hooked on the top hook.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When the crabs are busy, I've tried a 2 or 3 hook flapper with about 3 ft of mono between the weight and lowest snood - about 6-12" each snood; the terminal rig is about 5-6 ft and clipped onto the reel line end swivel with a snap link and a small bubble float is clipped to that with another snap link to keep the baits off the bottom.
Tends to reduce the crab-chew considerably, but there have to be some mid-water feeders about to stand a chance of catching...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.