World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Berkley Whiplash Crystal Braid 20lb 0.06mm. Seems a bit thin for the poundage. Any thoughts on this braid for lure fishing

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Bag o shyte it's closer to 0.3mm the diameter was in inches when converted to mm they just changed a letter.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Crap I HATE the Berkeley braids never had one I've been happy with I even put it onto my wrecking reel just to use it up and it was rubbish there too so got binned, seemed soo much stiffer and definitely thicker than my sunline too.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,526 Posts
Whiplash is indeed .....rubbish.

Stick to powerpro if economy is important or go Japanese for the ultimate PE

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers chaps. I already use power pro that ive been using the last few years or may try a 8 strand braid. Need to get some more but my favourite channel isle shop doesn't seem to have power pro in stock

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noticed some write ups on Chinese fake PowerPro. I only order from shops i trust as ive ended up with coloured butchers string before

·
61,526 Posts

·
61,526 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick one of my trusted shops. Had some good service from them. Wanted a 300mts spool but they only do 150mtrs, so its 2 spools for me. Bought :thumbs:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Can really recommend the sunline castaway (they do some lovely lrf braids too like the small game and rockfish p.e) it really stands the test of time, wildly overpriced in the uk though. I payed about £30 for mine with taxes and shipping off one of the rakuten sites.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Funny, I really rate it and have never had a problem with it! Why do you all dislike it so much?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Funny, I really rate it and have never had a problem with it! Why do you all dislike it so much?
1. It doesn't cast well 2. I spent half my fishing time picking out wind knots 3. It blows all over the place (strange because it weighs more than my other braids) 4. 0 abrasion resistance

·
Registered
617 Posts
That's a pretty comprehensive answer al right!
Still find it strange though as I've got it on 3 of my reels and have never had any problem with it. I can't imagine we're doing anything that different with it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
20Lb snapped off with a 12g lure without any wind knots. Then had wind knots every cast rip the whole lot off in 30 mins. Was coming apart like cotton :nonono:

I only use the top stuff now, YGK, sunline and varivas. Not worth the hassle for 20 quid cheaper.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts