1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing Hook Knot Tying Illustration

How to Snell a Fishing Hook

Fishing Hook Knot Tying - strongest fishing knots

Snelling is a very simple method of fishing hook knot tying and the snell knot is the strongest of all saltwater fishing hook knots.

Tying fishing hooks

First pass the trace through the eye of the hook from the front of the hook. Only pass it through about half an inch.
Hold the shank of the hook and the half inch tab end and wrap the trace around both the shank of the hook and the tab end 7 or 8 turns.
Pass the trace back down through the eye of the hook from the back of the hook.
Pull the trace tight while holding the hook to set the snell.
There should be very little or no tag end protruding when the knot is set.

Hi guys as described above the "Snell" knot , i find this nice & easy to tie , a bit easier than the uni knot i have been using

Anyone use this ?

Seems a bit strange just tied around the shank rather than the eye of the hook ?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Its a bit like tieing a spade end hook. I tie all my hooks spade end style but pass the line though the eye first. one of the easiest and neatest ways.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi guys as described above the "Snell" knot , i find this nice & easy to tie , a bit easier than the uni knot i have been using

Anyone use this ?

Seems a bit strange just tied around the shank rather than the eye of the hook ?
[/QUOTE]

seems like a knotless knot carp fishermen use to tie hair rigs,i use same knot 4 every thing so a new knot is a welcome knot,cheers
:roll1:

Reactions: shakey jake

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies :bounce:

I will continue to use this nice & easy knot then :)

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

seems like a knotless knot carp fishermen use to tie hair rigs,i use same knot 4 every thing so a new knot is a welcome knot,cheers
:roll1:

It was being used by sea anglers long before the carp guy's thought of it.

I use it a lot when bait fishing as when used on a normal "J" hook to aid in lip hooking as it gives you the anti eject effect that the carp guy's also used.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yep it's a variation of the hair rig (minus hair) very strong and reliable. Use it for big carp, chubb & barbel, and it's never failed me.
Grinner on light line never gives me 100% confidence.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use it a lot when bait fishing as when used on a normal "J" hook to aid in lip hooking as it gives you the anti eject effect that the carp guy's also used.

:thumbs:Exactly what I was going to say:bleh:

The knot kick,s the hook out, and aids better hook up,s also
years ago carp anglers used to bend the shank on trout pattern hooks , also to achieve the better hooking qualities ,they then used shrink tubing, steamed the same shape to hold the hook in the position ,this was named the (withy pool rig)and was very very effective ,then a few hook companies brought out curved shank hooks specifically for that
P.s the long shank nailers made by crap are us are redhot hooks imho for bait fishing for any species ,
I dont suppose its a million miles away from being set up like a half circle hook.
ignore my rambling I,m finding it difficult to explain what I mean:yawn::yawn::yawn:
It works well:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Many years ago a friend of mine had a lot of trouble snapping off when striking into fish. His line was new and we could not find any weaknesses but I eventually traced it to the way he tied on his hook which used the knot which is being described.

The problem was not with the knot but with the hooks which had a sharp edged on the eye. The line cut on this sharp edge and failed. So always check that the eye of the hook is smooth without rough edges when using this knot!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good point that Phil ,has happend to me in the past ,best tip is to pick hooks with minimal gap in the eye and also do the first whip on the shank of the hook on the opposite side to the gap that will sort that out :thumbs:

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Having looked at an illustration that was supplied then this is a simple whip finish equivalent of what I finish of a personal tied fly.

Very easy and very secure but most of all its really easy to tie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts