World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Anything from the boats in swansea?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  doggy hater 
#1 ·
got a trip next saturday out of swansea. just wondering if anything decent is coming out of the water down west.

any info would be appreciated

#2 ·
It depends a lot on who you are going out with, & what the anglers on the boat are capable of! If you have 6 "rod hires" & 2 anglers the skipper wont put much effort into it, because if you start catching & the "rod hires" dont, they get the hump, so he will be happy to go doggy bashing for the majority.
Most of the skippers are spot on, & know the bay & surrounding water well, but if they are given a boatful of "spewy hughies" they will look for somewhere comfortable to anchor.
To be sure of success, pick a tide that under 38ft, & either high water, or low water, at 0900hrs, that will give you the maximum time fishing the optimum tidal run. You will get 4+hrs of either ebb or flood & a couple of hrs of ebb or flood before you come back in, perfect times but very few of them in the book, book early to avoid dissapointment!
Rigs simple 5/6ft flowing trace with a pennel rig of 4/0 Mustad Vikings, pile the lug on, & tip with squid or cuttle, if its easy to cast its too small!!!!! If you can get the back of the boat & let it drift around the stern thats ideal, & DONT STRIKE, wait until the tip is in the water then just lift into it & reel.
Paul Radford who used to be the skipper of the "Lady Helen" & one of the early Swansea cod legends used to say "striking is for miners not anglers", cruel, but he was right.
blueskip

#3 ·
Blue do you anlways use a 5/6ft trace when after the cod, cos i sometimes drop down to a smaller say 3/4ft trace if the tide is pushing realy hard. I was always under the impersion that a longer trace would move to much for mr cod to get his mouth around in a fast flowing/brown sea. Or is that not the case?
hope you can help mate, doggy

#5 ·
Blue Thunder We've been out with Mark a few times last year, few bass/black bream in the summer, and had a few blondes in the middle of the year.

it's just the fact that worm is so expensive, i am just wondering whether as there's no cod showing, should I just keep to plain old mack flappers? For 2lb's of worm, I could get enough fish bait to keep me going for months!

#7 ·
If you are going with Mark on Blue Thunder you are certainly on a good boat, with a good skipper, if they are there he will find them!
Regarding trace length, It depends on the run of tide, sometimes they need some movement to encourage them, but with 4/5 lugworm & a calamari on the hooks I wonder if it moves at all? could be you are right about the shorter trace working better, if you dont fish a "dogs dinner" like I tend to.
Regarding bait, last I heard Dragon Bait in Port Talbot are doing lug at £10 lb thats the best price I have heard of, you can locate them on www.Yell.co.uk it gives you a multimap of exactly where they are in Sandfields Port Talbot.
good hunting.
blueskip

#8 ·
I've always found youngs boat yard provide top bait especailly the black lug when it's about, £11 a lb, squid £1.50 a box . I Often ring them a few day's b4 a trip for availability( They'll check with thier diggers and get back to you ) and 2 order, always very obliging. Mark on Blue thunder is a top skipper, he's always prepared to move to another spot if it's not fishing and is very knowlegable and always prepared to help experienced and novices alike. I've had a number of trips with him the last three years and caught some nice fish.

#9 ·
on the bait front, i tend to use dragon baits too, but what i will say is if you have the chance to get out there and dig your own lug it will often out fish your "factory" lug. But with working most days i don't get the chance so i'm a lazy fisher too. It looks like the weather is getting rough for the next few days so i think i'll hit the beaches to see if i can find any good shell fish baits to add to my bait frezzer, i normaly find that razor fish and clams out fish your expensive blacks after a good blow, so its worth taking some for any fishing trips on the weekend. best of luck lads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.