World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an update, as i work in Troon i heard that the Apollo was landing it's catch in Troon. I thought i would take a run down at after work, and was disgusted with what i saw!! Boxes and boxes of Thornbacks, Spurdogs and 3 common Skate one of them was tagged!! When i say boxes! not the small fish boxes in the fish market i mean the big red ones the size of one ton builders bags. The likes you would get at firststop, with a ton of chips in. There was a forkfift truck loading the fish into an artic lorry. As i fish Loch Etive/Sunart and Loch Aline and Oban areas, myself from my boat im very concerned about stock levels in these areas. I was speaking to one of the workers on the boat and he told me that he is heading back up the west coast of Scotland Monday evening for more of the same as he said it was a cracking trip!! :schmoll:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Thats a disgrace that- if you got photographic evidence of the tagged skate could they not get into serious trouble, or would people just turn a blind eye and ignore it.
Surely if its coming to wiping out tagged fish then the law has to step in at some point....

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
:schmoll: this is very sad news indeed , by the timesomething is done about this it will be too late , if it isnt already.

al

:g: :g: :schmoll: :uhuh:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Thats a disgrace that- if you got photographic evidence of the tagged skate could they not get into serious trouble, or would people just turn a blind eye and ignore it.
Surely if its coming to wiping out tagged fish then the law has to step in at some point....
Sadly Findus there is nothing to stop anyone taking a tagged fish :(

Richard a couple of questions re the tag
can you tell me what position it was on the fish, looking from the tail to the head?
was it yellow or red ?
Did it look clean ?

this could give us an idea as to where it was caught.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Riteup4it a while back on this forum i was advised that these long liners are also taking large numbers of LSD`s. Did you notice many of these in the catch?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Riteup4it a while back on this forum i was advised that these long liners are also taking large numbers of LSD`s. Did you notice many of these in the catch?
They certainly catch a lot of LSD's but the time I watched them haul a line all the LSD's were returned, when I say returned, the were jammed against the hull of the boat with a gaff and the hauler ripped the hook out it's mouth... so they may well have been returned but the survival rate wont be very high :( :( :(

·
Registered
775 Posts
:schmoll: this is very sad news indeed , by the timesomething is done about this it will be too late , if it isnt already.

al

:g: :g: :schmoll: :uhuh:
From the reports coming from the west coast of late I fear it may already be too late. which is very very sad, but we all knew he was in the area and this landing was inevetable - unfortunately.

As dale says we should aall be getting our act together and targeting this new government.

VEry sad state of affairs, this vessle is just too efficient. should be confined to southern waters, if not the docks.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
any pics of the appollo or description of it , might help others identify it
the more who know it the better it can be tracked and help build up a better picture of its routes ? .

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
thats a fair sized hold up front , that thing must take a tonnage to fill :uhuh:

one of two ships co owned by north quay and seamaster ,skipper greg smith or john hancock ?
is the sister ship working up here also ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
this guy wont stop until hes fished it out and its no longer financially viable,then he,ll be off to ruin some other fishery ,i,ve said it before and i,ll say it again its the useless that are in charge of things who really dont give a monkeys about conserving our marine habitat that are the real villains.ps sorry about the tone of this post but it makes me so angry.jimbo

1 - 20 of 149 Posts