World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent fishing trips have been a bit of a let down so i thought best way to get a decent fish....get out in a boat.This i did from Arbroath i went out on ultimate predator the catamaran. My thoughts were running to maybe getting 5lb cod or near enough it but lady luck was not on my side.
We set out around 2 o'clock in the afternoon flat calm water a lovely day.I was using my own gear and i took mackie,lugworm,squid,sandeel for bait this was a 3 hour trip.It didn't take long to get out to fishing area fighting amongst the creels they are everywhere,there was i think 12 on the boat.Fish were slow in coming aboard mainly cod to small to keep,i think there was about 7 or 8 that were brought up and were keepers.There was a few coalfish caught and i think 4 mackerel.There was a couple of guys rigged up with feathers hoping for mackie but they didn't show in any numbers.Myself i caught 5 codling all to small to keep i caught bigger at St Andrews.No pics as everyone was busy trying to catch fish.I thought it would have been better because the guy in charge of boat had said previous trips had brought up decent cod but not this trip i'm afraid.I will have to take another trip out on boat one of these days.
I noticed there were a few guys fishing of the cliffs when we were heading back,i should have taken beach rods and gave that a shot myself.Not to worry i did get a fish home with me, one of the guys was staying at a b&b and was not taking fish home so i got his only cod.
My total catch 5 codling.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi mike, unlucky on no gettin one of ur own to take home, a found last year that the 3 hour trips where for mackie bashing more than the cod, as a was plugging away for cod and everyone was pullin in mack's , so ask'd the skip and he told me that the wee short trips were more for mack's. Think the giant hockias wi prawns on them seem to do the biz for the cod out in the boat. Better luck next time m8.cheers.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer 6 hour trips on those boats out of Arbroath.They only do 3 hours during the week.But it had been a few years since i was last out on a boat from there.Maybe next trip will be a better one.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yeah the 6 hour trips are better, am sure a seen a post sayin that the boat u were on goes out to the bell rock, hope u get a better result next time.cheers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Unlucky. Last time I went out with Alex, we had plenty of cod and mackerel on a 3hr trip. Now we are in midsummer thought the 6hr Bell Rock trips are likely to be better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was out yesterday with a few mates and family members. Unfortunately we arrived slightly late due to boneheads sleeping in for a 7.30am two hour drive :yucky: but it all worked out well in the end! We were out for six hours but didn't head out to the bell rock and stayed close to within a couple of miles to the shore weaving in and out of the lobster creels!

I took the biggest cod out of us all landing one at 6lb but there was a woman on the boat took about an 8lb cod home with her and her husband ( she seemed to be reeling fish in all day but easily out caught more than us) :notworthy. We each well enough mackerel to keep our attention going for the six hours but landed on average about eight/half dozen cod each most of thee were caught on hokai with lug tracers. There were also a few ling caught as well but none of them of any size and one of the guys managed to catch wrasse after wrasse on the set ups he was using ( mostly mussel and lug combinations). Only other fish caught were mini sea scorpions whose spines added a bit of fun :rolleyes: as the boat chopped around. Fantastic weather though :sun:eek:n mostly calm"ish" sea.

Highlight of the day though must have been being surrounded by about 30 dolphin swimming round the boat! Good day and well chuffed with the company and the staff and would definitely use Alex and the predator again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts