World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks this was my first time on a boat

was very choppy and a lot worse than i expected. 3 folks on the boat of 9 were ill and being sick over the side. Personally i felt pretty ill, and was described as looking a bit green at one point, but managed not to chunder, however i did have to take a little 15 mins stand, take deep breaths and look at the cliffs break!

Anyway to the fishing -

Well over 200 mackies between us. At about 100 or so we all decided to start returning them (shaking off hooks) to the water, the skipper told us not to do that and he wanted to keep any mackies caught. So we continued and caught lots and lots more. All a good size and fought well.

We also had an abundance of coalies, bringing them up 3 at a time on feathers also, lots of coalies today, however we were told not to keep them as they did not taste good, skipper said by all means take them if you want but he wouldnt and advised us to put them back in.

Apart from that, there was not many other species.

1 Codling to around 1.5lbs and 1 wrasse to around 3lbs. The codling was kept by the angler, on captains advice for tea, while the wrasse went back in.

Skipper told us to take as many mackies as we wanted that were caught and leave the rest to him. I reckon he must have been left with 70-80 mackies. Anyway, i'm feeding the family, and the 18 i took home have all found their way to relatives houses for tea. No wasted mackies here. I didnt even keep any for the freezer!!

I would post pics, but its just really of a few guys catching mackies, so nowt special. Wrasse went back in too quickly for me to get a photo.

Just a final question, is it normal now, still sitting here typing and when i stand up to still feel like im on the boat swaying? Surreal feeling, feels like my body is still trying to account for the swells in the sea on the boat!

Scott

·
Registered
314 Posts
oh yes mate that is the norm something to do with the fluid in your ears cannals blah blah blah, oh did the skipper pay for the fish or did you just give him them if so he has proffed to. if it was me mate i would of cought what i wanted to keep the fished for myself and sod the skipper as you are paying for the charter.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he never paid us mate, he was pulling some out too when he parked up

Said he would use them as bait the ones that we never wanted, however the wee deckhand said they sold them too the lobstermen for bait.

however we couldnt take any more, not that we would have wanted them as we had loads ourselves. I was just a bit concerned that so many fish were being pulled out to be killed and probably never eaten. But oh well.

Still i enjoyed my day (feeling sick aside) everyone went home happy, including the skipper!

·
Registered
125 Posts
sounds like a good day, haven't been boat fishing since I lived in Scarborough, I'll need to keep an eye out for anybody looking for someone to make up numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts