World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey off 2 Arbroath in the morning for my 1st trip this year! Only got a box of squid for bait going 2 give the cliffs a try was thinking of giving the dexter wedge a try aswell anyone any success with spinning from the cliffs? Still trying 2 catch my 1st east coast cod ;) cheers in advance

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can def get cod on the dexter but I've never tried it myself. Spose the trouble would be keeping it near the bottom without snagging. Could maybe change the trebles for single assist hooks but I don't know how that would affect its action. Also depends how clear the water is. Be same idea as casting jigs I would think. I know of folk getting cod on them in the summer. Prob still some pollock around too. Nice big baits are the more traditional cod tactics. I stuff my squid with mussels then bind it closed and puncture the squid a few times to let the juices ooze out. I keep a pre-baited rig with the bait soaking in the mussels juices in my bait tub. No idea how much difference it makes but it means the squids dripping in mussels juice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Saying that, squids good enough on its own, I've had plenty cod just on squid when I've been skint and only had a box of squid at the back of my freezer. Id put on 2 or 3 depending on size. Blueys are getting to be a local favourite too. A lot of folk swear by them over any other bait from November'ish. Something to do with the cod feeding more on sprats me believes but I've nor used them much yet. Something I'm going to test out this winter. 1 rod blueys and 1 rod lug and I'll see which gets the most attentio. Good luck on your sesh :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've had wee codling on dexter wedge several times. Usually an orange/silver 'un, though.
I get the impression that the cod is a lazy bugger, would rather be hoovering up baits on the bottom than expending energy on chasing baitfish.
I often take a spinning rod and never use it. Not that I'm too busy catching, usually,just that I never seem to get round to it what with rebaiting etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for all the advice big fat blank on both bait rods and also the spinner but hey enjoyed the fantastic scenery from the cliffs on a crisp October morning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I havent tried the cliffs myself, fish mostly the harbour wall or auchmithie. I have tried the back of ballies once, all i caught was a cold from there ;)

I like the harbour, seems to be the most comfortable of spots fishing from your car, and one place i have had the most luck. Auchmithie is fine when all you want is a peaceful days fishing but not somewhere i have had much success at though. The cliffs just sound too much like hard work! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
depends how clear the water is i think. from what i hear just now its coloured up so i doubt you'll get much on the spinners untill next summer. I think there might be some better pollock around but prob not at boddin. again its coloured up for winter and everyones concentrating on the coddies now. I cant see myself taking my spinning rod out till springtime next year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats what I had thought. Boddin was good today. There were 2 just finishing up when I arrived they had one codling for about 3.5 lbs.
I took a couple of wrasse biggest being about 2lbs, and one codling about a pound. I finished happy as third time fishing there and first time catching something...:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.