World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>1st trip out of the year from ardglass,..headed towards st john point fishing for pollack,mackeral and codling with baited hokias...only 2 mackeral for my trouble,however things should improve this month,.Stephen.</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<font color='#000000'>went this evening again, slightly better,some nice codling to 3lb and small pollack in good number of st johns point lighthouse,some small whiting also....no mack however....Stephen.</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>heaps of mackeral on flooding tide,fished from 6pm til 11pm just general drifting over rough marks looking ling and cod,that many macks about bait never got to bottom,few small whiting and 1 lone rock cod,sea was flat calm and boat was surrounded by harbour porpoise, nice to see them so...Stephen</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>club outing today in Carlingford Lough with the NLSA,http://louthanglers8k.com ,steamed out 8 miles to the wreck of the "crusader" a motor yacht which sank in the 1920s,usually good for ling ,pout,wrasse,and the odd conger.tides were making drifting fast,1 ling and 1 pout was all that was caught,i didnt even get a nibble ,then moved to hellyhunter buoy,i faired better here with 5 little plaice and a doggie...few whiting showed to the others also 1 solitary haddock all of 6" long&#33;&#33;,ended up over the wreck on the connemara which is at the mouth of carlingford lough,usually a half decent pollack mark, but as tide was on turn,rip over it was racing, needless to say fishing was wick with no bites at all...530pm came comp over and an end to a good day weather wise,but fishing poor...though only 20 miles to the north is my local haunt of ardglass,were theres abundant mackeral,pollack,coalies etc etc,....funny old game this fishing......Stephen</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>out last night from ardglass,..joey mackeral in good amounts,pin whiting and odd codling,was fishing around gunns island. Stephen.</font>

L

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Stephen

I normally go out to Portrush (there last Sunday and caught a load of pollacl on float and wrasse on bottom at the Blue Pool. I&#39;d love to try Ardglass, especially as its closer to Belfast &#33;&#33;
Where do you suggest I go and what tactics do you suggest, considering its unlikely I&#39;ll be able to secure rag or lug.

Thanks for any help you can give

Loughers</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>out 10am this morning,...heavy shower enroute to the st johns light house,however the soaking was worth it as some nice codling to 3lb and 1 ling @4lb,mackeral now 10 a doz..sea alive with them, also a scorpion fish,...once it hit high water things went slack fishing wise,...steamed to ardglass bank,which was poor then on to the Georgetown Victory wreck which is just south of Strangford Lough,couldnt settle as it got a bit choppy so at 6pm called it a day....all for now,am of to bed...wobbling a bit, ........Stephen.</font>

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Been fishing out of Ardglass since Easter experiencing similar catches to Stephen, plenty of Mackeral and some nice pollack off Killard point. Thought it might be a good day to share some waypoints for the wrecks mentioned above and also any others people know of&#33;
</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>hi, was fishing on monday and tuesday evenings this week,...on monday went around to the lighthouse and some good cod to 4lb and pollack to 5lb over rough ground 50 yards of the point,in 35ft of water,any gods given amount of mackeral,930pm or so headed back towards ardglass,stopping of at the golf course side for another few drops....some small gurnard and whiting on fish baits on the bottom,....all in all a good night,...as for tuesday, even calmer night, sea was like a sheet of glass,didnt venture as far but went as far as killough bay close to the pot markers along the coast and got some nice pollack to 3lb,tried the golf course again on the way in and again,small cod,whiting and a small dab/flounder...back in berth for 10pm....hoping to have another trip on friday weather permitting...Stephen.</font>

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Sounds like you are having a lot of luck&#33; WHat are you using for bait when catching the cod and pollack?

We headed for Killard point last Sunday, got some great pollack on red gills. Sat off st patricks rock for most of the day - lots of small cod and off sand eel, good craic&#33;

Hopefully get out a fair bit this weekend, good luck boys&#33;&#33;

Ryan &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font color='#000000'>hi all,...reports for tuesday 13th july and sunday 18th july...midday start to both....and both around and about the st johns point lighthouse,using baited hokkias and baited feathers,and rag and mackeral on running ledger...surprised to take cookoo wrasse so close to the shore, some nice specimens about,ling plentiful heaviest at 7lb,...though 3 or 4lb more plentiful,..cod to 5lb though mostly 3 and 4lb in good nimbers,drifts from the pink pot markers towards lighthouse very productive,also on out into dundrum bay drifting toward rosglass shore we picked up some fine cod and the odd pollack to 4lb......been good sport of late and its nice to catch something big enough to eat,....Stephen</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Right Lads, I would do my fishing closer to Strangford as I live between there and Downpatrick. Ballyhornan Cliffs (Sheepland) is a good spot for Wrasse i caught a few there by chance, few congers in strangford 9an octopus - seriously&#33; and many mackerael last year.

Caught few giant sea bass last year at same spot.

This is good for pollack some very big ones too, walk along cliff top and keep looking out to sea and you should see them rounding up baitfish. I caught large specimins by launching a 85g on 20lbs bs &nbsp;- Condor eel Spinner out straight on top of them and taking it back to shore quite fast. The fish took it 10 feet from where i was standing.

Was in Strangford 2 weeks ago tide flowing in and mackeral chasing baitfish straight out of the water. First Shoal i seen this year. never caught one tho a ******** in a boat ran over my line and i lost my dexter wedge.

I seen you mention St Johns Point whats this spot like?
I never fished there before. Done ardglass Newcastle, cranfield, Rostrevor and all around strangford lough but never there whats its like?

The meeting of the waters is good near Kilief / Killard point if you can cast far enough - no boat (yet)

maybe cya about</font>

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Another weekend on the water penciled in this week, lets hope the weather is a bit more forgiving&#33;

Was out last sunday caught a few nice cod and a few doggies, was just short of gunns island using mackerel baited Hokais. Then up to Killard trolling for pollack with redgills, was quite successful.

Good luck boys,
Ryan
</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font color='#000000'>hi all,...was out last night for a few hours,...was foggy and bit of a swell, however,...headed towards gunns island and caught several ling, 1 of which was 5lb,few cod to 3lb and small whiting ,mackeral plenty,..using baited hokkias and white feathers,....giving settled weather and calm seas for the weekend....so maybe do an all day sunday...slept on boat last sat night....not a good idea...however the fry was good in the morn, lol....see yous all soon, Stephen</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font color='#000000'>hi,on sunday fished from 12am til 11pm,...headed to st johns point,were the marie k was already fishing..twas a little choppy and done a few drifts just of the lighthouse, few cod and cookoo wrasse and a lone ling,moved on out into dundrum bay and tied to a pot marker for a while found doggies wrasse and a few cod,1 young lad wed out with us hooked and brought to the side of the boat a great lump of cod easily 10lb in weight,biggest ive seen from there attempts to lift it were fruitless and it slipped of the hook...bad luck noel&#33;&#33;...was a good day all in and wed a sainburys bucket full of cod and ling for our efforts...freezer well stocked now, lol...all for now tight lines...Stephen.</font>

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Had a great weekend fishing, went out on Sat night and got few lovely pollack.

On sunday went out just after dawn and fished to midday. First headed out into Dundrum bay and then tight on to the lighthouse. Got some decent size ling and cod. Decided to troll then up toward coastguard where we hooked some pollack and coalfish using red gills.

Plenty of mackerel around as always&#33;

Good Luck
Ryan

I posted a few pics taken a while back off Killard pt.

</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font color='#000000'>hi, out last night for a few hours, headed to guns island and on out about 3 miles off into 102 feet of water,lots of pin whiting about and some rather large mackeral,on the way back in to harbour stopped near phennick point and young lad had a ling of about 5lb which was lost lifting it into the boat,...saw a basking shark too, which at twice the size of the boat was a tad daunting,...poor weather forecast for sunday so doubt il be out,...be in touch soon, Stephen.</font>

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Headed into Dundrum bay on Sat & Sun. Weather was great on sat pretty calm, not so on sunday, wasnt too bad initially but got pretty dirty on high tide. Upside was the fishing was excellent. Both on the sat & sun we landed decent codling and rock codling along with some nice Pollack and a cuckoo wrasse. Fished with the now infamous baited hokais and feathers, using mackerel strips and lug. Mackerel didnt &nbsp;seem as thick as earlier in the summer but enough around for the bait tank.

How did you get on Stephen - I saw you coming into Killough for shelter at one stage did you have much luck?

Take er easy
Ryan
</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi folks

Have fished out of Ballywalter this year. Not many mackeral but the Pollack have been superb. Good hauls of fish to 10ibs just off shore on jelly worms. Plenty of smaller coalies or Blocken too. Would love to fish out of ardglass if there were any free rods? Any offers?</font>

R

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi folks just joined up after searching Google for info on fishing marks. &nbsp;Great site and useful information. &nbsp;

I normally fish along the South down coastline from Kilkeel to Bloody Bridge outside Newcastle. &nbsp;I can report plenty of makeral and small codling in the harbour area of Kilkeel in the last month at high tide.
Was up in Portrush 3 times in the last fortnight and hooked a few pollack and wrasse in the vacinity of the Blue pool using ragworm.
Mate caught a nice ballan wrasse of over 3lb yesterday at the same mark using a float baited with rag. &nbsp;The weather was overcast and the swell was on the strong side making it difficult to identify bites.
St Johns point looks good from all accounts, can it be accessed from the shore? &nbsp;Directions would be useful too coming from the Castlewellan direction.</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts