World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone on the sunny IOW has had any luck with the skate/rays yet. I've heard that some have been caught at Chale, but wanted to get some verification before I make that trip!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just wondered if anyone on the sunny IOW has had any luck with the skate/rays yet. I've heard that some have been caught at Chale, but wanted to get some verification before I make that trip!
Been here for weeks now mate. IOW undulate record went about a week ago, 17lb! 16lb'er caught about 10 mins later or before too (can't remember which). Don't go down on Fri/Sat night, unless you like being wedged in between 50 other anglers and thier 1000watt head lamps.

Steve.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Went last Friday, 1 small painted, 7 dogs, half a dozen pout. Only 3 groups fishing there then. Apparently, it didnt fish well on Saturday night. Yaverland is throwing up a few.....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems that maybe they never left as I've heard of catches throughout the winter. Didn't realise there were any great numbers though.

Is there a comp on Friday or Saturday night as I've only seen a handful of other anglers down there when I've been before.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not sure, check in last weeks County Press.
We went down last Saturday, big match on. Must have been 30 anglers lining the beach, each with his own headlamp. Never seen it so busy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks like the sheep have arrived!:unsure: :unsure:
just because you had 1 small ray and a few eels you think the hole of the iow is going to fish down there i think not!! all the comps are set out at the beginning of the YEAR brook fishes well this time of year so that is y theres a comp there!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks like the sheep have arrived!:unsure: :unsure:
Im guessing someone has seen that there was a 3lb 5oz (probably undersize) spotted caught at brook and thought christ we better have a comp there, that looks good:rolleyes:.

So if someone fishes a spot after there has been some fish caught their a sheep!!!
I dont really understand that remark to be honest, if you dont want people to fish where you fish i wouldnt broadcast it to thousands of people on a public forum

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Im guessing someone has seen that there was a 3lb 5oz (probably undersize) spotted caught at brook and thought christ we better have a comp there, that looks good:rolleyes:.

So if someone fishes a spot after there has been some fish caught their a sheep!!!
I dont really understand that remark to be honest, if you dont want people to fish where you fish i wouldnt broadcast it to thousands of people on a public forum
It was actually a private joke to a mate who i know who was interested in the thread.
I mistakenly hit the quote button on daz`s post instead of reply but the remark was not aimed at him and if i deleted the post now, it wouldn't be right.
I couldn't care less who fishes there as like you say, i wouldn't have put up a report if i was worried about the beach being invaded over a small ray would i?
Its fishing ok there it seems, good luck to anyone who gives it a bash.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

best just to say compton,save's the hastle from the start but there are a few rays about.http://www.beachandboat.co.uk/index.cgi?board=catch&action=display&thread=1174515814

·
Registered
102 Posts
As Daz said, these fixed venue comps are planned a long time in advance based on where will fish at certain times of the year...so they aren't 'sheep', its just a coincidence that there is a comp there.

You will always get sheep however, based on sucessful trips, and I've found the best thing to do (if you want to fish there the next night/next set of tides) is keep the venue to yourself. I realise this is a forum for all things sea fishing but would never publish for all to see, the bits and pieces of knowlege it takes years (and many blank sessions!) to compile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts