1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Theres a few scad about.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Just wondering if the scad are about, was catching them this time last year but i havent heard of any being caught yet?
Ask a stupid question - why would you want Scad ?? are we talking horse mackeral, or I am being stupid !!:cc_surren

Not much use for bait, and no good for eating...We hit in to them on Lundy....added to the rubby dubby !!

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Ask a stupid question - why would you want Scad ?? are we talking horse mackeral, or I am being stupid !!:cc_surren

Not much use for bait, and no good for eating...We hit in to them on Lundy....added to the rubby dubby !!
Some peeps say they are good to eat,others say they arent.They aint too bad for potbait and ive known people catch the odd conger on them.Good sport on very light gear. Or it could be a club specimen size fish he wants to catch???

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Dad caught some Scad in Portugal the other day and ate them! Couldn't believe it when he said they were delicious, not my cup of tea ;) Bass or Bream any day!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Some peeps say they are good to eat,others say they arent.They aint too bad for potbait and ive known people catch the odd conger on them.Good sport on very light gear. Or it could be a club specimen size fish he wants to catch???
Fair shout, just wondering...... but hey - a fishy is a fishy & if you want to catch scad for what ever reason, good luck and tight lines.:fishing1:

I have tried them for bait, when all of the macky had gone - but never had anything.

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Dad caught some Scad in Portugal the other day and ate them! Couldn't believe it when he said they were delicious, not my cup of tea ;) Bass or Bream any day!
Tut,tut!!!! Fancy killing and eating an amazing and beautifull fish like a bass,shame on you!!!!:cry::cry::cry::shutup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well firstly i want to catch one so i can weigh in another species in my club/CFSA, Secondly its the mounts bay angling society festival at the moment and there is a certificate for the best scad.

They are great fun on light gear (mullet rod, 10gr float, 8lb line) , i enjoy sitting on newlyn pier float fishing for mackies, scad and garfish on summers evening....but this year there dont seem to be any mackies there and therefore no gars and scad!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well firstly i want to catch one so i can weigh in another species in my club/CFSA, Secondly its the mounts bay angling society festival at the moment and there is a certificate for the best scad.

They are great fun on light gear (mullet rod, 10gr float, 8lb line) , i enjoy sitting on newlyn pier float fishing for mackies, scad and garfish on summers evening....but this year there dont seem to be any mackies there and therefore no gars and scad!!
Its also one of the named species on the CFSA Festival. Prizes for best shore caught Scad And also 2nd best shore caught Scad.

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Went seineing last night and had a couple of biggish scad amongst other things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts