World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking back at old posts and can see the question has been asked before.
Has anyone had one in recent times? And if not, why not, the loch is plenty deep in parts.
Seems odd that a pack fish wouldn't be there given the mackies and other baitfish in the summer?
Joe

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Good question! Not heard of any in the past ten years, but you never know? Entry to the loch from the open sea is via the Kilbrannan Sound. It exceeds 300ft in places and is ideal skate / spurrie country but gets dredged for prawns every day that the rules permit. I've spent a fair bit of time fishing many areas from Peninver to Skipness, and many of those marks have been blanks apart from summer mackerel.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i can remember catching over a dozen spurs in a firth of clyde all night match early seventies.at cairndow.i am ashamed to say they were all killed as it was a comp and there were plenty of fish in these days.even COD.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We used to get spurries all over the firth of clyde last one I got was years ago at Carrick castle I also used to holiday and fish at Peninver we used to take pollack to 8lbs from the shore last time I was on holiday there I counted 70+ seals on the reefs at low tide and we never had a fish over 3/4 lb.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fished Fyne up and down for about 10years now and never seen any site of Spurs. Fished some very deep parts of Loch Fyne and never ever get a touch. Have spotted Basking Sharks, plenty of our flippered friends and i believe i have spotted tuna last summer !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Porty School sea angling club over night trip to inverary pier back in the day - approx 10 spurs from 9 - 12&1/4 lb ( then scottish shore caught record) - Umpteen Lsds to 3&1/2lb - thornbacks to 10lb - and must have been 9 or 10 other species including big cuckoo ray - Global warming, pollution, lack of sewage nutrients, time of the month? - I Cannae think of anything else that could have caused such a catastrophic decline without causing offence to certain parties........................:g:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts