World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im new to fishing full stop, though am picking things up fast, im just buying all my equipment and i have bought a 12" rod and bought this rod rest as well

ebay item No 110115944549

Are these any good? im not sure now though would love your opinions on this.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I wouldn't use it in a storm, it doesn't look to have a lot of weight to it. It does look like it'd do for your average pleasure angler, but there're no cups down the bottom to hold the rods so the butt'll be on the ground, but it should do the job if that doesn't bother you too much.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
dont use tripods myself but they look ok , i dont trust twist lock systems as they seem to fail after a time on certain stuff our mop to name one thing
bit pricey when postage is taken into account for me

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your replys, i will be buying thr tripod with the cups on eventually, i just needed something to do me for now. If and when i do go an buy the tripod with the cups on, do you recommend anywhere?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ian Golds are good, and although others criticise them I use a Mustad one myself, dunno where you'd get one, I live in Ireland and buy large stuff locally, only normally get small bits and bobs through the internet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi got thoes in aldi and lidi's for £5 same bit flimsy .but do to start with for that price got some stuff in not bad not good theo lol.cheap for starting with paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi got thoes in aldi and lidi's for £5 same bit flimsy .but do to start with for that price got some stuff in not bad not good theo lol.cheap for starting with paul
also got 12ft off ebay s/peare contender. good price s##t rod shatterd sunday had to tape up so could use could have spoilt day. but not catching did that lol. never mind always next time..

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I bought one from Lidl last year for a fiver and although not very robust, it still has its use for fishing the rod tip low in rough conditions and resting rods on the rocks. Adjustable legs and its super lightweight make it great for carrying and using on uneven ground, but dont use it at full stretch with your pride and joy on as it will end in tears if it blows over or collapses. I fixed the legs on with self tappers as they are only glued on and fell off occasionally.

I have an Ian Goulds and another basic one, the Ian Goulds one is pretty good with the fixed leg kit and is very easy to pick up and walk back when fishing a tide up. The points on the legs are good for finding holds in rocky marks etc but crap on sand so I have bought two walking stick end rubber stops which I plonk on, solved the problem instantly for £1 !

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I posted a review on how to modify the liddl on here. Doesn't cost much and makes it very useful. Take a look. Also explains the dangers of not modifying it.

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ajohn

Im looking for your post you mentioned on modifyinh the lidl one though cant find it, could you shed some light on this.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
same as the ones in lidl's 5.00 there tho looks to me you have been stitched up for 10.95 buy it now plus 5.95 postage

·
Global Moderator
5,203 Posts
Hi all

Im new to fishing full stop, though am picking things up fast, im just buying all my equipment and i have bought a 12" rod and bought this rod rest as well

ebay item No 110115944549

Are these any good? im not sure now though would love your opinions on this.

Thanks
Steve
I also own one of these,and like you,I am quite new to sea fishing,although I am a competent coarse match angler.

I got mine from the shop I go to ,and the first time I used it,I did have a few problems,but a carrier bag of sand will steady it up,though like it has been pointed out,their use will probably be better elsewhere.

I managed to pick a good quality tripod up,from a car boot sale,(where dealers often sell things they don't want in shop),for £20.

Look on bosfish.co.uk (bennetts of Sheffield),they are selling Shakey Tripods for £28,and the Daiwa ones for £29.99.

I let my lad use the one like yours now,and haven't looked back.

I would still use it in areas where space is at a premium,but for the rest,the best is used.

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
I found that the Lidl one is good for harbour wall fishing as long as you don't open it fully as it then becomes rather unstable.:blink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah like i said im new to fishing completeley and need to buy everything, sop will only use this rod rest until i buy another one in a months time.

steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts