World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
I've never seen a Cuckoo, but the one on the left is definitely a Thornback, probably both of them are

Ubd

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
No problem mate.. the false eye spots on Thornies quite often make people think that they are Cuckoo Rays, even though most of the time the colours on the spots are reversed. The other dead givaway is the Cuckoo hasn't got a single row of spines running down the centre of the tail but it has two parallel rows of small spines running down the centre of the tail.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No problem mate.. the false eye spots on Thornies quite often make people think that they are Cuckoo Rays, even though most of the time the colours on the spots are reversed. The other dead givaway is the Cuckoo hasn't got a single row of spines running down the centre of the tail but it has two parallel rows of small spines running down the centre of the tail.
fooled me!I had a spotted ray with a black head today,never seen that before :unsure:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If somebody stuck a filleting knife in my field of vision I reckon I might change colour as well, my face would go paler, & my drawers would take on a khaki hue!
blueskip

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya Rob,

The fish on the left of pic is a thornie, the fish on the right is a spotted ray.

Rob
Sorry mate.. it's a Thornie..
you have probably been fooled by the eye spots as are most people. Spotted Rays have a light background to the eye spots on the wing not dark backgrounds, the Spots also tend to be larger and brown it also has barred markings on it's tail, something that only Thornbacks have. Also despite their name Thornbacks don't always have lots of thorns on them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts