World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the game took it up last year and looking for tips in which areas are good abound Inverness ,I mostly fish the fort George or fort rose over at the lighthouse

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Kevin,
not a lot of info to give you sadly, a couple of reports below your thread from the inner MF.
I only fish Nairn and Tarbat Ness TBH around here.
Nairns alright for flukies. Tarbat can be ok'ish for cod, better in the summer for pollack and wrasse.
Tackle graveyard mind, if fishing the bottom.
Leo (Highlandshorecaster) fishes all over and he may pop in later with some advice for you.
Some good areas in the Dornoch Firth for flukies too.
You can get a heap of info off the search function on here, just type in the area you want to know about.
Hope this helps.

Freck

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're fishing the lighthouse at Chanonry point, I'd recommend setting up just level with the t-off for the 4th hole. Used to be pretty good for flounders when I lived up there.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Fishing in the inner Moray Firth can be patchy due to the vast amounts of freshwater that come pouring into the sea from various points, however saying that the Flounder and Sea Trout fishing can be very good.
Nairn is a great Flounder hotspot and the best bit I have found is down near the bathing pool, with the bigger specimens seeming to come out around October time.
Lug tipped with mackerel the best bait and I use a 2 hook clipped rig as sometimes you may need to cast over sandbars to locate them and on other occasions they can be at your feet, - this gives me the option of dropping it short and clipping the baits down for maximum distance as required.
Red snood lines about 18 - 24 inches long with a size 1 hook seem to work best.
Both the Cromarty and Dornoch Firths are also good Flounder hotspots - best to explore these yourselves - loads of marks with easy access, although I am sure that someone with the time and prepared for a wee hike now and then could locate pockets of very good specimen Flounders along here.
Going onto the Black Isle my success rate has been fickle to say the least and to be honest I would rather go flattie bashing in one of the Firths than spend many fruitless hours exploring along here.
Burghead, Hopeman, Lossiemouth are all within an hour's drive and give you the chance of maybe something different, with Cod a possibility in big seas in the winter.
Findhorn Bay for Flounders and Sea Trout with rumours of Bass.

Living in Inverness you also have the option of going West as well once in a while, Fort William is an excellent base to start from with a chance of Dogfish, Pollack, Codling, Dabs, Thornback Rays all a possibility from the long stay carpark and other marks around that area.

Just a note on Sea Trout - there is a real chance that you will catch one from several places that you may chose to fish.
At this time of year it is probably best to return them as they are spent from spawning and very lean and unless you are fishing a more remote mark away from nosy bailiffs and busy bodies it probably best to put them back.
I have on occasion caught and kept the odd Sea Trout and they fight real good and taste great, but watch yourself regarding the law!

Good luck and happy exploring - keep a diary as you will pick things up quicker that way.
Cheers, Leo.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
P.S this time last year was very lean - probably due to the cold spring.
Warmer weather definitely improves the fishing in the Moray Firth - some of my best sessions have been warm, dry evenings coinciding with a night time high tide!!
Bigger springs normally fish better.
And I prefer to arrive about 1 hour before low tide and fish up and over high tide.
Night normally better too.
This info applies to fishing in general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts