World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new challenge.
I’ve been fishing for years, over half my life now (I’m only 34...)

Being static is just boring...I’ve fallen out of love. Time for a new start...which brings me here!

Lure fishing, something I’ve messed about with in the past, caught a few bass with but never been serious about it and now I might shift all my other gear for long early morning walks along the coastline with a rod and reel in hand.

Have I picked the worst time of year to start?!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I did something very similar where since last November I've focused my efforts on lure fishing for bass and learning the craft. Almost a year later I don't think I'll ever look back! The more you learn/experience the more you realise you don't know and that, along with the ease of travelling light and mobile, makes it something that's easy to get hooked on! There are so many great posts on here if you look through the bass lure forum and a lot of this has made a big difference to how my year has gone so far. Quite a lot of anglers say their favourite time of the year to target bass is in Autumn if that helps to answer your question, I know from when I targeted them on bait that Autumn was the best chance of a bigger fish so I can't see why it would be much different on lures. It also depends on where you're located, in the South West anglers will catch bass near enough all year round apart from maybe Jan-April if it's a cold year whilst the further north the season is shorter, though I think this is changing with warming waters.

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
I wouldnt look to get rid of your gear. Lure fishing isnt an all year round option for most of the country. And there will be times when you juast fancy sitting and fishing in one spot.
I do all types of shore fishing. Bass on beaches, pollock from the rocks and even lrf. All with lures but different set ups. I also love my beach fishing which could be from dabs, flounders, plaice and bass on clean beaches to heavy rock fishing into kelp for cod.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I fished all year round when I lived in the UK (IOW) just a change of species and tactics. If anything, fine weather was my least favourite time to fish, not saying I fished in terrible weather but somewhere in-between. Yes you never stop learning until you give up!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts