World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrrrrrr.......closed the lids on my bait boxes in the fride (usually leave them open) - 26 quid of slush this morning (was still alive but bright pink & slushy)...

What happened - condensation? (they were fresh with sheets of newspaper in between)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Grrrrrrrr.......closed the lids on my bait boxes in the fride (usually leave them open) - 26 quid of slush this morning (was still alive but bright pink & slushy)...

What happened - condensation? (they were fresh with sheets of newspaper in between)
put them in vermicalite (get it at the builders merchants)and keep in a cool place.the rag i used to day ive had for 4 days and the rest il use this week.any damp will turn it to ****e,the vermicalite dispels damp.

·
Registered
340 Posts
that is bad news mate, i had 3score of yellows go belly up in a fridge @5'c after 2days, changed water every day and they just turned overnight, smelled like the cat has shat in there!LOL! ...... i'm still trying to find a masterplan on worm care!!

i read somwhere about using vacumite for ragworm and the concensus was that it wasnt good for the worms, made them float because they eat/absorb it... dont quote me on that!? think it was sea angler mag tho??

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i always put mine in sea peat and the lowest part of the fridge and if i have none of that i wrap them in newspaper seems to work the only time they have went mushy is when i have had them all in together with sand or nothing

·
Registered
482 Posts
i always put mine in sea peat and the lowest part of the fridge and if i have none of that i wrap them in newspaper seems to work the only time they have went mushy is when i have had them all in together with sand or nothing

WHere do you get sea peat???

jan

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
With sympathy to the victims of the dastardly Rag Dying problem, and being a complete pedantic pratt, should this not be in the Baits section.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ive always kept mine in newspaper, which was changed dayily and kept in the fridge. The ragworm that i dug, are just in a bucket, with about 5 cm of mud, wher i have dug them from in the bottom of bucket, and a little seawater in with them. I have left these for about 7 days, and even tho u have 2 go through the mud with your hands to find them, when your wanting to use them, they were very much alive, and i find this the best method to keep freshly dug worms.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
With sympathy to the victims of the dastardly Rag Dying problem, and being a complete pedantic pratt, should this not be in the Baits section.

Just a thought.

I agree, moved to bait discussion.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Bought lug late in the afternoon left them in the garagewere its cool still wraped in newspaper,but left in the plastic bag mush the next morning,tackle shop said i should have removed them from the plastic bag,i thought from fridge to garage would be o/k,not so lernt a lesson there == PAT

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
that is bad news mate, i had 3score of yellows go belly up in a fridge @5'c after 2days, changed water every day and they just turned overnight, smelled like the cat has shat in there!LOL! ...... i'm still trying to find a masterplan on worm care!!

i read somwhere about using vacumite for ragworm and the concensus was that it wasnt good for the worms, made them float because they eat/absorb it... dont quote me on that!? think it was sea angler mag tho??
LOL,its been used for years,float my arse.the best thing for them,and always put them in new sea water before you start fishing,hardens them up.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
try having over £100 worth turning up as mush
An ex bait shop owner told me of £100.000 farmed rag dieing after the tanks were set to the wrong temp. This was a few years back.....DOH!!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I've had some right hard little buggers that 've dug myself and kept in the boot of the car for a couple of days in June and they were still OK (not exactly lively, but alive) and I've had them just give up after the same length of time when kept in the fridge.

Chap I get my bait fromnow has a gleaming little set up of tanks and pumps and all manner of stuff for his rag. Reckons he can get 6 months out of them if needs be, although apparantly they do shrink a bit!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
What me and a mate do is, wrap them in newspaper, and when we come to use them, just lay them all out, and give them a little bit of sea water, and they come back to life, like wiggling ad all that. Then you can wrap them up and they'll be fine for a while!

Ben

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
vermiculite
LOL,its been used for years,float my arse.the best thing for them,and always put them in new sea water before you start fishing,hardens them up.

here's a post from philtherod (who used to be a bait dealer and so knows about keeping bait)
notice he says wet the vermiculite with seawater first - in fact soak it . . . . and (though he doesn't say that) rinse it
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45776&page=2&highlight=vermiculite

I've said this before...DON'T USE DRY MICAFIL FOR STORING RAGWORMS...THEY EAT THE DAMN STUFF, IT STICKS IN THEIR INTESTINAL TRACT, THEY TRY TO MOVE IT BY SWALLOWING, BUT AS THEY ARE NOT IN LIQUID, WHICH IS INCOMPRESSIBLE, THE SWALLOWED AIR FORMS BUBBLES IN THE GUT DUE TO THE BLOCKAGE, WHICH IS WHY THE WORMS FIZZ AND BREAK WHEN TRYING TO PUT THE WORM ON THE HOOK. THE STUFF IS A BY-PRODUCT OF SMELTING METAL, AND CONTAINS SMALL QUANTITIES OF ACID ANHYDRIDES, WHICH ARE BASICALLY ACIDS WITH THE WATER TAKEN AWAY. ADD WATER FROM WET WORMS, THE PARENT ACID IS REGENERATED, AND BURNS THE WORMS SKIN. THAT IS THE CAUSE OF THE LESIONS OFTEN SEEN ON THESE WORMS.

ASK YOURSELF THIS: you are sitting in your fave restaurant, and have ordered a Chateaubriand fillet steak, it arrives at the table, when the chef comes out of the kitchen and over to you, saying "the final garnish", and scatters vermiculite and peat over your meal. What would you say? What does the fish think in the same situation? Remember their sense of smell is millions of times more sensitive than ours.

When I dealt in bait, the rag from Southend were sent to me in micafil which had been thoroughly soaked in seawater in a sack, and lightly squeezed to leave it just wet. The worms were superb, and could be stored after rinsing in trays of cold seawater for weeks. Try it with dry stored worms, and they will float, showing they have been swallowing air, and will be dead in a short time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts