World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Has anyone who reads this forum fished the river Kent estuary at Arnside? I have fished there a couple of times and have caught half a dozen flounder on black lug. I was wondering what other species are present here and what the best tactics / tide states are the most productive. Any advice is greatfully appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ainside is fished 2-3 hour into low water and just after when the flood starts, depending on the sizes of tide it would be advice to finish fishing the mud banks before the flood starts as sometime with a big spring tide they get a bore wave which can be deadly and 'WILL' throw you in.Pegs fishes best towards the left near to the moored boats there.Some anglers me inculded have fished the pier there nearing high water,but there isn't a long fishing session.Rigs used is a one up one down or 2 hook flapper.Hook size needs to be long sharks 2.0.Lug or mackerl strips best, but maddies (harbour rag)the killer bait along the river.A light beach rod will do plus using a plain 2oz lead with water condition allows being the method and the baited rig is wind in slowly to make the bait more attractive to the flounders on offer.The down side to this kind of flattie fishing is the deep hooked fish which results in damage gills and blood everywhere.Most anglers locally used the quiver tip rod set up with keep nets to store fishes for wiegth in, in matches which throw up great sport on light tackle.as always do watch out for quick sands along this river and if a horn is heard its a warning the 'BORE WAVE' is heading towards you!!!You have been warn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for your reply. The advice is greatly appreciated. I also found that as soon as I added large illuminous beads to the rig I was getting more bites. I was talking to a local angler a couple of weeks ago and he reported catching a couple ofd whiting. Do you know what sort of size they reach in this stretch of water?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never remembering catching whitlings, but i have seem sea trout jumping, plus caught a 3lbs mullet on the peir.Pictures of the mullet on my site..There a few other venues for flounder fishing on the northwest coastline.Ainside is very quiet and nice looking mark, but only fish this if there isn't a lot of rain water entering the rivers or snow melting.Connar's quay on the dee is ok but fishing times are limited to tide pulls, with just on high water being the magic hour for the flounders to feed.Preston docks being another flounder mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody this is my first post. I have not done any fishing for at least 30 years and having retired recently I decided to dust off my tackle and see if I still enjoyed it as much as I used to.

And I did, to my surprise I could still cast.

I went to my old haunt of Arnside.

I fished from the pier from around 2 hours before the tide came in to high water.

Things were totally quiet until the tide flooded and I had a 45 min period of bites ( no fish) and things went dead. The bites were on frozen black lug, mackerel strip was totally ignored. I was using 2.0 long shank hooks which could have been a bit big.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and I will be fishing again soon.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
could you all please tell me what fish are being caught what area of arnsides coast and on what bate please
:) elo glyn , there are 2 top baits at arnside m8 , one is maddies ( tiny little harbour rag ) or very very rotten lug ( and i mean rotten :yucky: ) those flounder luv it,
as for species , i have only caught flounder and mullet there but as in a previouse post i have seen the sea trout jumping about :boat:
cuberd,
ps ,, a 1s or 1.0 s aberdeen hook is the top hook to use too:)

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
could you all please tell me what fish are being caught what area of arnsides coast and on what bate please
if you want some fun --try float fishing with light gear . area -boat house and cafe
just before end of run off and after low water. best bait creeper tipped whith mackeral for flounders

·
Registered
137 Posts
Whenever I have fished the river Kent I have fished just further down the estuary than Arnside as it is quieter and seems to be better fishing. You go up the hill past the pub on your left and then turn right at the top of the hill. You follow the road around until there is another turn off on your right which is signed as a dead-end. You go down the road which is potholed until you come to the bottom and you can park by the side of the estuary.

If you walk to your left as you look out on the estuary the best spot to fish is just to the right of where the sand meets the rocks. Generally find that you will start to catch from as early as 2 hours after high although you may need to use a grip lead until the tide eases.

I have tried lug but without much sucess. My favourite bait is a king rag cut in half tipped with a small piece of mackrel (having tried half a rag without mackeral the mackeral definately seems to make a difference). Usually when me and my brother go with 2 rods each we catch around 40 flounder between us.

Hope this is of help.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
this is the end of that road ,
[/IMG]
and is this the fishing spot you were on about benjos ?
[/IMG]
oh and welcome to wsf matey, probably see you about,
cuberd

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
thats not a bad spot there plenty of parkin and fairly quiet

nice pics them dave ......

oh and welcome to the wsf benjos

tightlines....................daz

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
yea m8, thats the farm at the end of the road, i took 50 photographs that day , all the way from the car , right round the point looking back to heysham power station, i also took a few of the river and sandside on the way back,
cuberd

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
this is a closer picky of the lads in the photo above looking back towards arnside,
[/IMG]
and this is one of sandside coming out of arnside,
[/IMG]
and this is the lovely river kent, ( the estuary is just round the bend to the left ),
[/IMG]
if you want more just tell me and if im'e boring you just ignore it :d}
cuberd

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah the first photo is where I park but I don't go as far round as that spot in the second photo.

The spot I fish is probably about opposite the house on the first photo. Opposite the car parking spaces the bank of the estuary is sand, then roughly opposite the house or maybe slightly further downstream it changes to rocks and pebbles. I usually fish just slightly upstream of where the rocks begin. I've tried further upstream but it doesn't seem to be as productive for some reason.

Another trick I have found seems to work well there is using 3 or 4 Lumibeads on the snoods. I have tried rigs with them and without and the ones with the lumi-beads on seem to outfish the ones without every time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cubbie: You're right, the photo you posted is a good place to park at Arnside.

Just to add that when I went a few months ago there was a notice saying there was a £1 parking charge at that spot. But no one ever showed and there was no box to put the money in. :victory:

·
Registered
13 Posts
cupboardlad any chance you can post some more pics or even stick them on photobucket or summot like that,only its just a top area infact my fav place to fish.

cheers
Shaun:clap3:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts