World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a disturbing e-mail tonight, something I feel I should post on here so that everybody can read. Now this is not from me and I haven't put the name on the e-mail, so this e-mail is not accusing anybody but it more speculating on who "might" be involved.

Arrogant Anglers: Could you tell me if there are any governing bodies that set rules and regulations regarding shore fishing as our local beach isalmost unusable due to the inconsiderate anglers that use it - Reckitts sac of Hull - to name but one club that use the beach. (If you have their phone number I would be grateful so that I can complain directly to them, as I can't find any number for them).

As a family we are no longer able to go down to our local beach for fear of one of our children or dogs getting impailed on one of the numerous hooks that are constantly being left behind, not to mention rotting fish heads strewn along the beach - not nice when your young child brings one to you, lord knows what germs are on them?

Is it just this inconsiderate club from Hull or is it written in the rules that you have to discard as many hooks as possible and maim as many young children in order to win a match?!

Whilst I have no objection to people enjoying what ever past time they choose, I do object however when it puts my family at risk.
This is a very sad situation and something that does absolutely nothing for our sport. We really need to try and hammer this into some anglers and clubs, that they are an ambassador for the sport each and every time they venture onto a beach.

If anybody has any info or has heard anything about this, I would be grateful if you could PM it to me.

Mike Jr

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i can understand this persons anger and frustration mike, hooks are very dangerous especially where children are concerned, when i tie hooks in the house my youngest is not allowed near me until i have cleaned up and finished. we all enjoy our fishing and would not want to loseit. this person obviously enjoys his walks on the beach with his family, and so he should too, i think thats a sad story, very sad. you cant blame the person in question..he has every right to be annoyed..

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup it is poach, its not what we need as anglers, it really isnt, makes me angry.

I'm going to reply to her in the morning, try and make her understand were not all like this.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
ok mike u tell her theres 1400 anglers on here who are just as annoyed as her, we dont always fish, we take our kids to the seaside as well m8..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Was fishing at Arbroath yesterday on the prom behind the night club. I had to pick up hooks, line and discarded lug and squid bait from the previous night before I could start. It wont be long before complaints go in and Angus council put a stop to fishing in the area on the grounds of safety. They would be quite correct to do this as well and being a safety consultant I could not criticise them for taking that sort of action. The area is used by families walking with their children and pets and also runners. The question that we have to ask ourselves is how we put a stop to it. Do we confront the individuals and risk a broken nose or worse? The only thing that we as responsible anglers can do is to pick up other peoples discarded fishing tackle and dispose of it. That is until our sport is banned on the grounds of safety, and there are enough people such as NGO’s and council’s lining up to do this.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
We get the same here line loads of it hooks and litter only on certain parts of the stretch where i fish.
the council even provided bins but i see cars drive up and empty their household rubbish in them.
i just put all my litter in the bins all unused bait thrown into river

·
Registered
568 Posts
Unfortunately, this is an age old problem. The mindless minority get us all a bad name. This happens in every walk of life (no excuse though)

I have lost count of the number of times I have taken home other peoples litter I have found at a mark. More of a problem with casual/holiday anglers over here - the clubs are much more responsible (but even then, in the rush to get back to the weigh in...)

I do feel in this particular instance that the club should face some kind of punishment - perhaps they are affiliated to NFSA, if so then they need to be informed.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Sad I know but this litter bug has infected so many in this country. It started years ago and for years, as far as we anglers go, we've been picking up other people's (so called anglers') left-behinds. We inwardly curse as most times they've gone home to their stys. (sorry that was a little pigist - they're clean animals after all) We are aware of the potential for injury to human and other animals. We pocket or carrier bag the mono, cans, empty hook packets, bait packaging or whatever and deposit it safely later on. We need to keep doing it for a long while yet as the messy-message has not got through at all despite millions being spent on it in schools, workplaces and recreational places, and the courts being able to fine people. Thank god we don't jail them (yet!) as we'd have to double the number of establishments!

Why do we respond whilst others don't?

If only we knew, as nearly anyone who is tackled about it apologises and picks up their rubbish. There are always the violent ones however but then this is true of those prone to road rage etc. Therefore I can understand that some are reticent to say anything to anyone. Being a natural loudmouth I always do, quietly to start with at least! When confronted by a gang however I have been known to say enthusiastically, "Don't you want this then?" and then pick up the offending material and put it in MY rubbish carrier bag. I havn't had my sainthood yet, but seriously setting an example is the only way.

The original e-mail however was sent after a shore competition run by a bone-fida angling club. They have addresses and officials. Occasionally it must be possible to find out 'who-they-were!' and respond. If this cannot be done then perhaps it's up to Virtual Magazines like ours and the print versions to Name and Shame.

Some club in Hull was it? Hopefully they will respond when one of you tells them what's been written about them

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with you Manx, Swellyman and Sultzer about the club being fined but it’s not the club it’s the individuals that carry out this disgrace. The club can throw them out they will still drop or leave the offending articles as individulas. The local authorities are only looking for excuses to stop us from using the sea fronts or even to charge us some ridiculous fee to make money from us on the pretext it will be for cleaning up our mess. I am off to the Mains of Usan tomorrow near Montrose to fish and after the competition at the weekend I can bet that there and Boddin and Auchmithie will be like a tip. As to confronting individuals or gangs, I was a public servant for many years before emigrating to Scotland and believe me you don’t confront people in isolated places like the areas we fish., you just don’t. I have no magic cure for it, personally I would jail the b’s but my wife tells me I am politically just a little right of Gengis Khan……………

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mike
this needs to be taken further and perhaps a metion in a couple of well known
fishing mags say total sea fishing might help
in total agreement
lardy boy

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I am forced to make a flippant comment, in the middle of an extremely serious & important discussion, but if we find out which club it is, that forces a weigh-in of rubbish I'm gonna join it, I knew there was some way I could win a prize!
blueskip

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Never! If your fishing etiquette is as wise as your (non-flippant) comments then you lose again I'm afraid Blueskip bach!

Seriously though does this weigh-in of 'rubbish' take place elsewhere? Anybody? As a non-competing angler I have no idea, but this seems to indicate that some clubs are trying to address the apparently insoluble problem. Recycling rubbish into points seems a posibility and if some cheat and pick up someone elses throwaway's what a great way of rewarding proactive thought!

As someone who shys away from crowded shorelines and looks for the secluded instead can anyone answer any of the following:
  • Do the National Comp. beaches resemble rubbish heaps the day after the circus leaves town?
  • Do the organisers of 'large' comps. not have 'Litter Marshalls'?
  • Are all club comps. registered and (returnable fees) paid in to local authorities to cover possible clean-ups
I agree this would not deter the 'private' anglers who are the most probable litter louts but it would get talked about and pennies might slowly drop. (Is that a Friesian cow I see flying by?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts