World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to fishing and have previously used frozen baits. On reading magazines I see that you can buy numerous types of artificial baits which are obviously more convenient.
Any thoughts on using manufactured bait - is it effective? - is it cheating? I dont know.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like to consider myself open minded enough to try anything that might help me catch more fish, but I have to say that I simply am not a fan of these new fangled artificial baits.

I just can't see how you can improve on a well presented natural bait fished in the right place at the right time.

The artificial baits are convenient, and certainly beat having no bait at all, but I would rather spend an extra hour gathering real bait (which can often be found on or near the mark you are fishing) than waste it sat behind a rod with plastic bait on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
tryd some did not catch a fish in the sea mag they say it is brill i
will give it a go again but not that keen on it

·
Registered
38 Posts
This question comes up on forums almost as much as "What reel" or "what rod" and the general opinion is they are CR*P.

I have tried a few types and have yet to catch one single fish with these "baits". There are a few people who reckon the "Fish n Strips" one works but all agree they are nowhere near as good as real bait.

There is one on the market that says "Stays on the hook well", a few of us tried a few packets and the stuff fell off so easy it was a joke so we ended up using bait elastic and eventually threw the stuff away.

I assume you are not talking about Jelly worms, these work in a different way, as in moved about and work very well for fish such as Pollock and Coalfish.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an add on to my last reply.

Magazines make money by selling advertising space and they will never sell this space if they slag products off. Take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts