World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to fishing and have previously used frozen baits. On reading magazines I see that you can buy numerous types of artificial baits which are obviously more convenient.
Any thoughts on using manufactured bait - is it effective? - is it cheating? I dont know.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like to consider myself open minded enough to try anything that might help me catch more fish, but I have to say that I simply am not a fan of these new fangled artificial baits.

I just can't see how you can improve on a well presented natural bait fished in the right place at the right time.

The artificial baits are convenient, and certainly beat having no bait at all, but I would rather spend an extra hour gathering real bait (which can often be found on or near the mark you are fishing) than waste it sat behind a rod with plastic bait on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This question comes up on forums almost as much as "What reel" or "what rod" and the general opinion is they are CR*P.

I have tried a few types and have yet to catch one single fish with these "baits". There are a few people who reckon the "Fish n Strips" one works but all agree they are nowhere near as good as real bait.

There is one on the market that says "Stays on the hook well", a few of us tried a few packets and the stuff fell off so easy it was a joke so we ended up using bait elastic and eventually threw the stuff away.

I assume you are not talking about Jelly worms, these work in a different way, as in moved about and work very well for fish such as Pollock and Coalfish.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.