World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am planning a six month trip to the Med. with some extra time on the canals of Europe and the U.K. I like the look of the Arvor 23. with nanni diesel and shaftdrive.Am I right in thinking this boat is trailerable?What is the difference between the Arvor and Quicksilver hulls?Does the Quicksilver pilothouse come with a diesel/shaftdrive option?
Any thoughts on where the cheapest deals on second hand Arvors might be had?...France,Italy etc?Are there such things as repo or insurance auctions on the continent?There's not a lot of moss on the old rolling stone so any savings in the purchase price will help extend the fun.
Had 2 1/2 years in Europe when I was a young and carefree(including 5 months in Greece.) Hoping the boat will help me get to some of the less touristy spots.
..weather permitting!!
Thanks in advance for your help..Regards..Kiwi Dave

T

·
0 Posts
Dave

Welcome to the forum.
I can't remember the model number, but Quicksilver now do a shaft drive 23 footer which I would imagine shares the hull with the Arvor 230 (Anyone else give an opinion?).
Several Quicksilver and Arvor boats do already share the same hulls.
The new 23 model will bnot be available used yet so I would say that this one is ruled out. They do have the 640 and 630 sterndrives (help please Terry) and I think the 640 is the older model and you may find one of these used.

You should find that once onthe used market, Europe is relatively steady on price. There really shouldn't be a lot of difference, but I would hazard a guess that France may just have the edge.

Am I right in thinking that you plan to live onboard for 6 months or at the very least do some very extensive cruising?
If this is the case then you really need to think the boats you are choosing.
The Arvor is at best, basic for the very occasional overnight stop and whilst the Quicksilver is much better for cruising comforts it is still not going to provide more than a weekends comfort.

The Arvor is the purist fishing boat. People here know I don't think much of them (but I don't hide the fact that I m biased!). Arvors have very large outside space and very little inside. What is inside is decidedly sparten giving more to chucking in all your fishing gear than somewhere to "live".
Inside accommodation has to become a major factor if you are planing on cruising.
The Quicksilver offers more accommodation, but it is still at a relatively basic fit out spec. This makes it more suitable to weekend cruising, but much more than a few nights onboard will becomes rather uncomfortable.

My own concerns are the quality of build of both manufacturers.
For serious onboard use they are unlikely to stand up to the abuse they will get. Both manufactuers will have an extensive warranty / dealer network, but I would guess getting bits fixed whilst on the move is giong to be tricky.

Both are good at what they are supposed to do, but neither go any further than that.

Tom

C

·
0 Posts
As Tom says, Welcome to the forum. Firstly the Quicksilver 640 is outboard only, the 630 is available in outboard or stern drive versions. Here is a link to the Quicksilver site if you want to have a look at the internal layout etc.
As Tom said the 640/630 would be ok for a weekend but not really suitable for any longer than that.
I have had my 640 for just over a year and have had a few problems with it, mainly due to poor bonding in certain areas. These have however all been repaired under warranty to a high standard. My boat is used in far worse conditions than you are likely to encounter on an inland waterway though. I often take it 25-30 miles offshore at high speed so any problems are going to soon show themselves unless conditions are absolutely perfect.
For any sort of comfort you would be best to get a Quicksilver Weekend 670 at least.
Terry

·
Registered
842 Posts
You cannot user any type of boat in France over 6hp without an International Certificate of Competance, and I believe the Inalnd waterways of France are more heavily restricted

Cheers Ian

T

·
0 Posts
Ian that is correct, but I would suggest Dave does the ICC (a two day course) before he leaves or in the UK (Language barriers) when he arrives in Europe.
The ICC is a very easy course and can have an endorsement (or separate section) for use in Inland Waterways.

Tom

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I will declair my interest in as much as I have just bought a Jeanneau Merry Fisher. You really ought to have a look at the Jeanneau range they are far far superior to either of the two you have mentioned.

Both the Quicksilver and the Arvor were on buy final selection when I went to the boat show this year. It was great to have the opporunity to look at them side by side so to speak. Because there were other makes there as well inevitatably we ended up looking at them. As soon as we got on a Jeanneau it was instantly evident that the build quality was far and above better than either the Arvor or Quicksilver. The next reaction was 'We can't afford one of these' , however after spending some time with a guy called Tom from Southern Motorboats we arrived at a very good deal. But even then as it was easy to go over the comparisons of build quality and accomodation between the now three diffetant boats the Jeanneau stood head and shoulders higher as the better buy. Which we did...buy one I mean.

Afishionado

T

·
0 Posts
I will declair my interest in as much as I have just bought a Jeanneau Merry Fisher. You really ought to have a look at the Jeanneau range they are far far superior to either of the two you have mentioned.

Both the Quicksilver and the Arvor were on buy final selection when I went to the boat show this year. It was great to have the opporunity to look at them side by side so to speak. Because there were other makes there as well inevitatably we ended up looking at them. As soon as we got on a Jeanneau it was instantly evident that the build quality was far and above better than either the Arvor or Quicksilver. The next reaction was 'We can't afford one of these' , however after spending some time with a guy called Tom from Southern Motorboats we arrived at a very good deal. But even then as it was easy to go over the comparisons of build quality and accomodation between the now three diffetant boats the Jeanneau stood head and shoulders higher as the better buy. Which we did...buy one I mean.

Afishionado
Shucks!!!!
:1a: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :happy: :notworthy :notworthy

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What about us OCQUETEAU's !!!
Yes indeed, I was not going to mention it as it's a bit negative, but as you brought the name up...........

We also tried to look at the OCQUETEAU's but the snooty salesman was bloody rude and ordered us off the boat. He did this without even asking us any qualifying questions and on what basis he did this I have no idea.

I was delighted to return about 3 hours later and show him the Jeanneau order form showing we had just spent a lot of money with a rival firm.

Afishionado

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes indeed, I was not going to mention it as it's a bit negative, but as you brought the name up...........

We also tried to look at the OCQUETEAU's but the snooty salesman was bloody rude and ordered us off the boat. He did this without even asking us any qualifying questions and on what basis he did this I have no idea.

I was delighted to return about 3 hours later and show him the Jeanneau order form showing we had just spent a lot of money with a rival firm.

Afishionado
Good on you.
Rgds TB

·
Registered
701 Posts

Afishionado
Sorry to hear that Afishionado, can't have been EC Leisure ( main importors ) as they have always been very good, but then I did buy one and I won't give any of my money if they don't earn it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Sorry to hear that Afishionado, can't have been EC Leisure ( main importors ) as they have always been very good, but then I did buy one and I won't give any of my money if they don't earn it.
Hell, buggery and damnation!!! My senile brain has done it again!! I've got my Oc's muddled up with my Ben's.

Deep and sniveling appologies to OCQUETEAU, it was the bum on the Bennatau stand that told us to go forth and etc etc

So sorry :)0(

Afishionado

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great responses gents.Great help with my homework!Most of the makes and models are unfamiliar to me except for the Arvor which is starting to appear in Australia (where I am living at the moment).
The main priority is the trailerability(Weight will come into this) as I will be ranging over a fair sized area.I am also keen on the diesel/shaft combo.Live-aboard comforts are less important..I may well camp the odd night in the boat but will mainly stay in cheapo digs on shore;set up camps or stay with rich widows in their villas!!
The more basic Arvor may suit my needs as I will probably stow a small motorbike and do a bit of fishing..assuming there are still fish in the Med.
Price is also a factor but will research all your suggestions.
Many thanks and congratulations on a great forum
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts