World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camped on Anglesey on Thursday night and much to my wife's dismay set the alarm for 3.30am. Staggered around various rock marks in the gloom as my head torch decided to fail, until I found a good spot then tied on an xrap salt gold 10cm by the light of my mobile phone and using The Grog Knots app to guide me (must remember to learn to tie the rapala knot in the dark as its difficult to follow the animated diagram and see the knot at the same time). Anyway, tackled up started casting as the first light started to shine.

Nothing happened for 30 minutes then bang - the line took off and after an interesting steer around the boulders (glad I was using a ten foot rod) i managed to land my first ever bass. I knew from accounts on the forum that is what it was and I was not disappointed. Didn't get chance to weigh it or measure it but decided as it was my first that it was to be a keeper.

I then caught three decent size pollack 15" or so but released all unharmed before snagging my lure and losing it - shame as it was my favourite. I then decided to try another half hour using and old metal spinner delta eze 24 gms which is the heaviest lure I've got and wanted to try deeper water as the tide was dropping. Caught another three smaller pollack which all went back before heading back to the tent at 6:30 tired but 'chuffed as 'owt'.

Later bought a bag of ice and drove back to Cumbria where we had the Bass for supper and well enough to feed four of us - delicious. Noticed two things - the fish had quite a lot of Aniskasis parasites not just around the guts bit also in the belly flesh so had to cut these out, not surprised as a predator these things make their way to the top of the food chain. Just important not to eat them ourselves in raw or under cooked fish see this link if you are not aware of them: http://www.foodbase.org.uk/results.php?f_category_id=&f_report_id=306

Second thing I decided to see what its last meal was and, though expecting to see prey fish or crustacea, was surprised to find a belly full of small feathers. It had obviously eaten a small sea bird chick - whether dead or alive is anyones guess. Anybody else discovered this before?

Anyway chuffed I'm no longer a 'lure virgin' and certainly would fish that mark again at first light, although I might have to sleep in a separate tent next time

Attachments

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Well done on the fish - FYI. there was a link on this forum a couple of days back about a method for releasing snagged lures. Basically you have a 1 oz weight with a snap swivel, attached to 50 lb line. You clip the snap swivel over your reel line and hold the rod up until the lead has got to the lure. jerking the rod up and down then releases the lure, or gets the snap swivel tangled with the lure, at which point you pull the 50 lb line by hand to hopefully free the lure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.