World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out this fine summers evening, and actually caught a couple of mackerel. at last because I was wondering when I was going to catch a fish from the sea. Now that I have really decided to put some effort in to it.
I am in Aberdeenshhire on the east coast, so happy, finally managed to get some thing from the effort I have put in.
Thing is, these fish looks amazing and were not small like the bait box examples I have bought for bait in the past.
Never kept them as I don't have room in the freezer etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should of ate them,next day.
they are loverly grills.
chances are they wouldent of survived.
ps,least you caught something.{welldone}.
(y)
Thanks, I know that its better to keep them to eat or for bait in the winter, I don't have that option at the moment, I did have some more on and agreed to give them to the guy fishing next to me, but that never did happen.
While I was reeling in the ones I did catch, anoyher bloke said I should reel them in as fast as I could, but he never explained why !
Is it because bigger fish or seals will take them from the hooks?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd have kept them for a feed.
Good grilled.....or fried with the skin on, a few wee cherry or plum tomatoes fried with them.....tasty !
He'd have meant reel them in fast as mackerel are so lively.....they've the ability to throw the hook, as any fish does.....but Mackerel are livelier than most.
Many a time I've seen them lost lifting them clear of the water from shore or boat.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Well done. Invest in a table top freezer if ya have room. I have two in my utility. Macky is nice on the bbq dude. Lush stuff

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reel in fast cos there are seals on that East coast. I have landed quite a few mackerel heads thanks to those guys. They seem very skilled at just eating the body. I did once hook a seal, at the south breakwater, which then made his/her way towards Norway at high speed while the backing and sparks flew outa ma reel. I didn’t land it !

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
That's what I was after yesterday, just a couple to hot smoke and eat with salad. Well done in catching.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I allways cary a throw away bbq with me just in case. Lovely straight on bbq with just salt n pepper. Remove meat from bone straight on toast fold then eat. Yum yum.
Nice to see them turning up.
Could do with some along south coast unless they have showed up while im away.

·
Registered
AFAW 6 And Bait/4 And Bait 13ft. Abu 6500 TSRi. Akios 757ctm.
191 Posts
Out this fine summers evening, and actually caught a couple of mackerel. at last because I was wondering when I was going to catch a fish from the sea. Now that I have really decided to put some effort in to it.
I am in Aberdeenshhire on the east coast, so happy, finally managed to get some thing from the effort I have put in.
Thing is, these fish looks amazing and were not small like the bait box examples I have bought for bait in the past.
Never kept them as I don't have room in the freezer etc.
View attachment 1369281
Whereabouts did you get these? I’m planning a trip up there first week of August and I don’t know the area so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Whereabouts did you get these? I’m planning a trip up there first week of August and I don’t know the area so any help would be appreciated.
Plenty off the beach at Inverbervie at the moment.
Was out for a drive last night....."always carry a spinning rod in the car"......had a dozen off the beach inside half an hour.

·
Registered
AFAW 6 And Bait/4 And Bait 13ft. Abu 6500 TSRi. Akios 757ctm.
191 Posts
Plenty off the beach at Inverbervie at the moment.
Was out for a drive last night....."always carry a spinning rod in the car"......had a dozen off the beach inside half an hour.
Thanks for the heads up. I know Inverbervie, I fished it for cod some years back. It’s a nice little beach.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good ya catching, its started. More will come.
Thanks for the encouraging words.
I went down to the shore again today. During the morning time at low tide I went and got some lug, just incase they would come in handy.
Bu the time it was coming on to high tide, the sun was up high and glaring down on to the water.
The wind had also picked up and was coming from the north east or so it felt to me.
I went down with the intention of fishing for mackerel with a spinning rod and feathers, but the wind, sun and weed made it very difficult.
There was several fishers on the beach so that kept my hopes up a bit.
Soon after I started fishing I felt that I was not going to catch any mackerel, as I had not seen any coming out from other rods.
So I set up my tripod and beach caster and I broke out the lug.
Using the simplest rig I have, a single hook paternoster I very gently flicked the line out in to the second wave, which was not far.
Almost right away I caught a fish and not long after another, so I did not blank and I again learned plenty.
I have also managed to obtain a table top freezer which I will fill with mackerel, if I ever catch any, so I have bait for the winter.
I had a nice afternoon.
The catch.
A decent size flat fish.

Not as big but very welcome.

A bright and breezy afternoon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spot on that dude. Not blanking is the way to go haha. What size rods and make are they. They look ok dude.
The big rod is a Leeda icon MPR-12 m/fs rated for 3 to 6 Oz with a Penn 7000 Surfblaster II , the shorter rod is a Leeda Northstar 10' Bass spin rated for 1 to 3 Oz, which I use for mackerling and spinning bigger lures and its matched to a Penn Wrath 6000.
Not the flashet rods in the world, but they do fine with me.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
491 Posts
My brother and I were to your right, we turned up around 3:30 (my fault) and blanked. I used spinning gear only as I'm in the work car heading to Aberdeen and it just about fits. My brother used one bait rig, mackerel and lug, cast into the distance, and a spinning rod. We tried feathers and dexters on the spinners. I saw several small sea trout jump very close in and a massive silver fish leap well clear of the water way, way out on your left. The guy immediately to your right seemed to catch a small trout - but I was several hundred yards away, so who knows.
I see some crazy parents allowing small children very near that water, madness when its moving around like that.
Lots of people fishing, very little caught, so well done.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
The big rod is a Leeda icon MPR-12 m/fs rated for 3 to 6 Oz with a Penn 7000 Surfblaster II , the shorter rod is a Leeda Northstar 10' Bass spin rated for 1 to 3 Oz, which I use for mackerling and spinning bigger lures and its matched to a Penn Wrath 6000.
Not the flashet rods in the world, but they do fine with me.
Ok rod. Reel good as well. At the minute I use a penn battle 2 7000.and an diawa emcast 6000. Use same rods.2x14ft penn battles.i have rods based at 6 ft, 7,8,9, 10, 12,14. Used for sea, and puddle dipping wid the lads.(4)infact,.to ,to many rods and reels. Penn and diawa favourite ones to use. Going to solway to fish thursday and stop overnight if weather ok.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My brother and I were to your right, we turned up around 3:30 (my fault) and blanked. I used spinning gear only as I'm in the work car heading to Aberdeen and it just about fits. My brother used one bait rig, mackerel and lug, cast into the distance, and a spinning rod. We tried feathers and dexters on the spinners. I saw several small sea trout jump very close in and a massive silver fish leap well clear of the water way, way out on your left. The guy immediately to your right seemed to catch a small trout - but I was several hundred yards away, so who knows.
I see some crazy parents allowing small children very near that water, madness when its moving around like that.
Lots of people fishing, very little caught, so well done.
Hello and pleased to meet you, even if it is electronically. I tried feathers but the wind was making a big bow in the line and I am not keen on that at all, so that's why I set up the tripod. It is very common to see large fish surface in the bay.
The guy on my right, did catch, but although it was a decent fish, I could not tell what it was.
Also I did see a small boy dressed in yellow on my right, I think he was fishing, but I cant say for sure. At the time I thought he should be careful, its a steep drop and its deep. He looked to be quite a distance from the responsible adults
The only fish I saw caught was the one on my right, also saw a couple of small boats in the bay, but they moved on quickly, which indicated that they were not catching out where they were.
Thanks for the encouraging words, I was lucky, but I did try to adapt to the situation I was presented with on the day.
If you are down and see me say hello, would love to have a chat with you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts