World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, going to Arcachon on Atlantic coast of France in late May / early June (Arcachon is near Bordeaux - so about half way down France) I've heard there are plenty of bass and bream to be caught as well as flatties. Taking my travel saltwater fly rod as well as my shimano travel spin rod.

Has anyone fished this area (general area not specifically Arcachon) and if so, do you have any tips or nuggets of advice for me?

Thanks in advance 'cos I know I'll get something from someone

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
Hi all, going to Arcachon on Atlantic coast of France in late May / early June (Arcachon is near Bordeaux - so about half way down France) I've heard there are plenty of bass and bream to be caught as well as flatties. Taking my travel saltwater fly rod as well as my shimano travel spin rod.

Has anyone fished this area (general area not specifically Arcachon) and if so, do you have any tips or nuggets of advice for me?

Thanks in advance 'cos I know I'll get something from someone
;) Buy a licence. ;)

G

·
Hi. Chatting to a mate and he said this.

Fish the Pyla side of the bay on the ebb, but check with the tourist office (Syndicat d'Initiatif) that the beach is open to fishing.

G

·
Hi. Chatting to a mate and he said this.

Fish the Pyla side of the bay on the ebb, but check with the tourist office (Syndicat d'Initiatif) that the beach is open to fishing.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
:) A friend of mine had a place in France with a lake and river frontage and as he said I would need a licence to fish I assumed I'd need it for the sea too. :(
Hi,

No licence needed for sea fishing in France, only for freshwater ... ;)

To the op, i never fished there, but i know the bassin d'Arcachon, dune du Pyla and the Atlantic beaches in the area are well-known spots for what the French call "surfcasting" - beachfishing .... not sure if a fly or spinning rod will be usable?
Someone might have better info though ... :eek:

Gert

·
Registered
812 Posts
So a permit is only required on most inland waters in France and can be purchased in English with ease on line here;
http://en.cartedepeche.fr
now i say mostly as a permit is not required to fish private waters, i.e. carp lakes and many stocked day ticket trout lakes. however it is always worth checking
A permit is NOT required to fish the sea and estuaries, by shore or boat (however you will need a permit to be in charge of any boat powered by a motor over 6hp in French waters, sea and inland)

As to the archachon basin there is some awesome fishing to be had from shore and boat. use same method you would in the UK, similar fish to be had. for Bass on lures have a look at google maps use top water lures near the oyster beds for bream same areas and in addition harbours and use one of these;
http://mouledemarseille.com/?v=11aedd0e4327
these also work well in the med shore fishing for bream

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sally and I have just returned from that area after a wonderful holiday. As we were only in Arcachon for two days I did not fish the sea and only had a couple of one hour sessions inland on the rivers.

The rivers were very high after unseasonable rain, which had caused floods in the north of France. Fortunately we had good weather apart from our first day in Arcachon.

Before leaving for the holiday I bought a river permit for the Cahors association area, which has a reciprocal arrangement with other areas to cover the holiday angler on his travels. At least that is how I understood the french wording on the form (Thanks to La Manche for the link)

Around the Bassin d'Arcachon were many fishy looking spots I will one day return to fish.

We visited several spots on the rivers Lot and the Dordogne. Both seem just too perfect, the rivers and hundreds of miles of woodland and lakes enough to give a lifetime of adventures!

Now we are in the process of booking a long term let of a Gite a few miles from the river Lot near Cahors.

Alleroverglad, we may have passed you in Arcachon! Hope you got some fish, let us know anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.