World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a thread about the a**h*** that visit our beaches each summer making our beaches unsafe for all including themselves, litter, thugery, and dam right dangourous acts with an 8oz lead have to be stopped.

I belive a phamplet that could be distributed amounst local shops about the resposabilities of a good angler and good codes of practice. This could give people a resonability to this pastime,

IGNORANCE SHOULD NO LONGER COUNT FOR ANYTHING,

Fellow anglers I belive there are still decent people out there and we still out way the few people that spoil it for others.

I think its time we stood up and was a counted for.

Any Ideas would be welcome for a Code Of Conduct and fundrasing ideas for putting this in place.

Mods I hope you agreed with this post and will support and spread the word.

Paul

·
Registered
519 Posts
After reading a thread about the a**h*** that visit our beaches each summer making our beaches unsafe for all including themselves, litter, thugery, and dam right dangourous acts with an 8oz lead have to be stopped.

I belive a phamplet that could be distributed amounst local shops about the resposabilities of a good angler and good codes of practice. This could give people a resonability to this pastime,

Fellow anglers I belive there are still decent people out there and we still out way the few people that spoil it for others.

Any Ideas would be welcome for a Code Of Conduct and fundrasing ideas for putting this in place.

Paul
I think that was at least some of the reasons that the SAS was formed. It might be worth testing the water to see if you could form a similar organisation in Dorset ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pardon my ignorance but who is the SAS ??

I think that everybody is effected by this behaviour with people all over the south coast on another thread saying this was the case.

It is our responsability to educate these people so that we can show the sport / pastime for the great family and fun time that it is.

It would also improve fishstock if every one of these idiots knocking out 20 fish each for no reason but to let them suffer and die on the beach for the birds to eat or just to rot. Imagine how many more mackrel would be in the sea?? If this was the case all the bigger fish would have more to eat so get bigger

·
Registered
519 Posts
SAS = Shoreham Angling Squad.... check out the threads and you can link to their Web-site thingy.
They were formed because a small group of responsable anglers were upset at the littering and exploitation of Shoreham Harbour.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Ok thats great .... If this could grow I think it could be great for Angling as a whole

So who's supporting?
i am i'm gonna write up a rough draft with a few suggestions on it and post it on here from there we can add to it and change it to the suggestions that come in until we've got something viable to work with

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Paul
it's a nice idea m8,unfortunately those responsible could'nt give a flying **** and will continue to do so,even breaking laws to make money

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But this attitude of "what ever you do is useless" will not change a thing.

In Coarse fishing balifs keep an eye for this sort of thing, as suggested in the other thread that started this one a draft code of conduct would would be a good start.

If shops would circulate this it would be a start, although this should not becombe hunt the shop that wont, they have to make a living and so supply demand but I think there is a line. Would a pub serve someone who is legless???

But if anybody has any points to add to the draft of Code of conduct please let me know

Paul

G

·
I`ve been reading these messages mate and i think what you`ll find is that all the while sea fishing is free anyone, be it experienced or inexperienced anglers will give it a go, i used to belong to a private fishery in sussex and if you were 10 yards away from your rods you were automatically banned any litter left and yet again you were banned, the fishery itself is in fact in great condition and will stay so for years, what i`m trying to say is that there is no way you can police this issue properly unless people are ready to stand up to these people and what with the rise in knife crime i would n`t fancy standing up to a load of blokes on desolate beach at 2 in the morning.
But good luck to you

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobody is saying that being on your own on a desilate beach at 2 am with a group of lad is a good idea ..... all thought is shows just what a state this country is in!

I think is we can stop 10% of the problem through rasing awareness its will make a difference.

There is always a way of helping the sport, Dorset is now part of the world heritage coast - bigger help could be inlisted I fear!

Lets see who has some ideas I belive from what I have read the SAS (Shoreham Angling Squad) have made a difference so why not enlarge on this.

Spread the word but be safe!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Nobody is saying that being on your own on a desilate beach at 2 am with a group of lad is a good idea ..... all thought is shows just what a state this country is in!

I think is we can stop 10% of the problem through rasing awareness its will make a difference.

There is always a way of helping the sport, Dorset is now part of the world heritage coast - bigger help could be inlisted I fear!

Lets see who has some ideas I belive from what I have read the SAS (Shoreham Angling Squad) have made a difference so why not enlarge on this.

Spread the word but be safe!

you may reach a small percentage with leaflets but who is paying for them,that aside there is plenty of advice on the issue for anyone taking up the sport in tackle shops/magazines and the free sans news paper which is in every tackle shop i use and it's free
it's not a case of sit back and do nowt,it really is a case of these idiots will not listen to anyone or read any leaflets,but the idea is nice.

G

·
Maybe its a case of choosing the right area, i feel sorry for u guys but i`ve not experienced any aggro what so ever or seen litter etc, if we switched to darts there would always be someone who would want to spoil that the list is endless but i`m afraid thats life and also as i learnt the other day that some of the best marks are just kept a secret, well from the w***ers anyway!!!!!!!

G

·
Eureka i`ve got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the town where i live theres a system called SHOPWATCH this is a radioed linked system between shops and pubs, any offenders are then not just banned from one pub/shop they are banned from them all, the police have 3 footpatrol units and 2 cars solely designated to looking after the city (CHICHESTER), if you guys across the south/north/east and west wherever, kick up enough of a stink to your local police or district council of your concerns i`m sure that they will act, be it in beach patrols and visiting on a regular basis i.e every 2-3 hours and issuing banning orders for those that offend, those that re-offend are given a total banning order where punishment is a tad more severe on the spot fines/police cautions etc.

Do i sound like Arthur Scargill or what ???????????

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Eureka i`ve got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the town where i live theres a system called SHOPWATCH this is a radioed linked system between shops and pubs, any offenders are then not just banned from one pub/shop they are banned from them all, the police have 3 footpatrol units and 2 cars solely designated to looking after the city (CHICHESTER), if you guys across the south/north/east and west wherever, kick up enough of a stink to your local police or district council of your concerns i`m sure that they will act, be it in beach patrols and visiting on a regular basis i.e every 2-3 hours and issuing banning orders for those that offend, those that re-offend are given a total banning order where punishment is a tad more severe on the spot fines/police cautions etc.

Do i sound like Arthur Scargill or what ???????????
lol no need to get worry yourself you don't sound that scary

i like your idea though

G

·
I`m no 6ft 6 rugby player who drinks 17 pints of Tanglefoot and 18 shots of the finest buca, but where there`s a will there`s a way.
Lets put it this way the lovely city of Chi even has community wardens to help the police dealing with general problems apart from them wearing polo shirts and shorts i think they do a pretty good job.
I think us fisherman have got better things to be doing than keeping an eye out for troublemakers/law breakers etc but we owe it to each other to protect our waters and beaches, i`d be mortified if one of you guys went to a mark that i`d recommended and the feedback was it was full of litter and divs that had no respect for other people and the enviroment.

Fair play to whoever started this but i`ve got work at 06.00 and fishing a very clean and tidy beach on sunday/monday. I reckon fish in numbers and be prepared to have it out with anyone that takes the p**s.
Today novice angler next week you`re local MP

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I belive a phamplet that could be distributed amounst local shops about the resposabilities of a good angler and good codes of practice.

Paul
I do agree with you , but your wording tickled me to the piont of distraction.

Jasper Carrot in the 70's /80's ,talking about the GreenPeace types
"something has to be done about these bomb testing incidents"
"I KNOW , WE'LL GIVE THEM A PAMPHLET , THAT'LL SORT THEM OUT "

:lmao::lmao:

I favour the "Cricket Bat Method" . I'll bring my own :hammer:

G

·
My mrs has just informed me that we are sadder than the beach vandals for chatting on the internet at 1.30 in the morning, thats the last time i offer her a romantic picnic ion sunday (obviously with 2 boxes of squid and 2 packs of peelers, whats that rolled up in the blanket, why of coarse its me old penn surf blasters)!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Alright Guys i just put this together as a rough idea please have a look and give me your ideas i know this could do with a lot of polishing up and theres loads more to add so help me add it
Feel free to PM me

SEA FISHING CODE OF BEST PRACTICE

Littering
Dropping Litter and leaving discarded line and tackle on the Shore should Never Be Done not only can Discarded Litter and Line Be Dangerous to wildlife, children and pets but also to our sport left litter increases the amounts of complaints against anglers and the sport giving those who would like to see the sport banned entirely more ammunition to do so.
when you go fishing you should always carry a couple of spare rubbish bags with you to put your rubbish into and to put any discarded litter line or tackle that you find on the shore you can then drop these in the nearest available bins or take home with you.
if you Lose Tackle i.e. Suffer a Crack off and it is possible and safe to retrieve the tackle please do so it could be worth waiting for low tide to attempt to retrieve the tackle from the water if this is not possible for you to do so let a local angler know as they may be able to do so on the next available low tide.
When disposing of line it should be either cut up into small pieces or burnt to ensure that it does not hurt wildlife at rubbish dump/land fill site that it ends up at.

Equipment
Fishing Tackle because if the varied nature of sea fishing and the wide variety of species that you can fish when fishing ensure that your tackle is suitable for the type of fishing that you are undertaking a light course fishing rod may be suitable for catching Mullet in an estuary or on a tidal river but it is no good for casting baits lures and feathers from a pier or the shore.
Lines and Shock leaders
As well as using an appropriate rod for sea fishing Lines should also be appropriate to the weights being used if these weights are being cast out then a shock leader should always be used to ensure your safety and the safety of other shore/sea users.
It is recommended that for every ounce of weight being cast that 10 pounds of weight should be added to your shock leader this means that if you are casting 5 ounces of weight then your shock leader should be a minimum of 50 pounds.
Join a club or sign up to a group
If you are new to sea angling you will find that books can only teach you so much the best way to learn is to go with someone who knows what they are doing a friend or family member would be ideal for this if you do not know anybody else who Sea Fishes the best thing you can do is join a club or group you can find out about local clubs, marks to fish and best techniques to use at online websites such as World Sea Fishing www.worldseafishing.com

Handling
When handling fish you should always wet your hands before handling fish using a wet towel would be better wearing a pair of neoprene gloves is considered even better as these will give you more grip of the fish.
Try and minimise the time the fish is out of water using a pair of forceps or T bar style disgorger to grab the hook and shake the fish off the line back into the water.
When lifting fish do not pick them up by the gill arches as they gills are vital to the fish to take oxygen from the water it is better to support them behind the pectoral fins using the length of your arm to support the body weight of the fish.
Weighing and photographing Fish
If you are going to weigh and photo your fish it is best to have your scales and camera equipment set up before hand to ensure that the fish can be weighed and photographed and returned to the water as quickly as possible keep the fish wet at all times and if at anytime it seams to be becoming distressed return it to the water for it is better that it swims away safely then you get that photo of it remember there’s always the next one which might be even bigger.
When fishing for larger fish such as Smooth hounds and Tope that will fight for a long time and expended a lot of energy it is advisable to stand in the water and hold the fish gently until it recovers it’s strength enough to swim away.
Deep Hooked Fish
If a fish is deep hooked this is especially common with eels and flatfish instead of trying to remove the hook it is a much safer option to cut the line with a pair of scissors or snips as far into the fishes mouth as you can salt water can very quickly dissolve most types of hook leaving fish none the worse for the experience

Dispatching Fish
If you are taking a fish home for the freezer or the BBQ it is better to dispatch the fish a quickly and cleanly as possible using a priest to administer a hard sharp blow to the back of the head which will kill the fish instantly and cleanly leaving only nerve and muscle spasms to make the fish twitch you should then gut and clean your fish and place it into a cool box with some ice to stop the fish from spoiling
It is a bad idea and bad for the sport to leave them flapping about on the shore for everybody to see especially on a hot day when fish such as mackerel which are popular in the summer months can go off very quickly building up high levels of bacteria in their flesh which can make you quite ill.

Personal Safety
Before going out fishing you should check the weather reports and tide tables so that you know what to expect when you get to your chosen mark.
Be aware of the tide it can rise rapidly in some places quickly cutting you off from the shore and safety when fishing in areas where the tide can cut you off be prepared to move any time as the weather can turn a sunny day into a dangerous storm rapidly and without warning.
When fishing exposed areas such as piers, rocks, cliffs, Steep shingle Beeches and in bad weather wear a flotation suit or a life jacket if you do end up falling in you have a must grater chance of survival.
Let someone know where your going how long you will be there for and when you will be back so Remember
WHEN YOU GO LET SOMEONE KNOW

Learn more about beech and boat safety online at
WWW.RNLI.ORG.UK

1 - 20 of 69 Posts