World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What attractor beads work well on what species?
I know beads /sequins etc work on flatties but what about other species.
What species are luminous beads, Booby beads etc effective on?
What species would you definately not use any sort of attractor on?

Colin

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
any attractor will bring in coalies, mackerel, gars, bream and bass.

luminous beads, most effective in darkness [ but moust be charged] and dirty water for flounder, whiting, dabs, coalies and cod.

i definately dont use attractors for wrasse, eels and mini species.

no need for them for rays, huss, dogs etc

·
Registered
281 Posts
just be careful! sometimes adding beads etc can spiol the baits movement and reduce catches. also beads and the like can tangle a lot on high finesse rigs.

u can spice up your baits through presentation withouth the need for beads. top beads i reckon are luminous. silver sequins work well too. multifaced beads reflect light which can be enhanced when placed between sequins. regardless of what colour fish can see they do notice the difference between night and day! they can see light! anything that reflects or sparkles is worth a try moreso then colour combo?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have tried luminous beads and luminous bodied lures in the dark for quite a few years (even luminous-bodied trout flies for trout at pre-dawn and at dusk) ; and also tried luminous objects (shads & pirks) at 80m depth wrecking.

They never seem to have helped me. In fact some of the fairly dull looking luminous beads have done best in bright sunshine (when they are much less noticeable than coloured or fluorescent beads)

I don't know why, and I don't know how well others do with them.

The one exception I know about for sure is using "cyalume" sticks when fishing (on the drift or slow-trolling) for swordfish at night.

Booby beads have helped (for flatties and whiting, gurnard and so on) but onot very much more than simple beads.

After hearing so many warnings from charter skippers about NOT using coloured main line or trace, or visible boom tube or wire I'd probably never try an attractor of any sort when fishing live sandeel or mackerel for Bass, but knowing how - at times - Bass will happily take shads, jellies and small pirks (and even 4inch lengths of white insulation from power-cable) I'd happily use them when fishing artificials - - - unless the skipper told me not to .

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
i have on purpose used luminous beads loads for fishing for dabs and whiting, right through the winter.

the difference has been huge. i have been catching every cast while otheres around me struggle. even after ai added them to others there catch rate went up.

in a dirty river luminous beads are deadly for codling, coalies and flounder. obviously in daylight they dont need charging but at night they need charging with a lamp each cast.

i have supplied hundreds of rigs to lads locally who all experienced increased catch rate compared to those fishing around them on occasions using them. they dont work every time but will on occasions help greatly.

i might start a session with them only on one hook until i can find a pattern.

at the weekend i purposely put them on rigs that were to target coalies during a match in the river mouth. myself and mate using rigs i gave him had far more fish out than anyone around us.

i have been supplying ayoung lad with rigs fee all winter and he outfishes everyone around hm every time. each hok has 2 glow beads above it.

i dont use them all the time, only if i find that the venue and available species will warrent them.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I have only just got around to using attractors. I have to agrre lumi beads do make some difference. I was using floating beads yesterday and I caught 10 times the fish that those around me did.
I did this because I noticed I caught more fish on the top 'active' hook. So I put on on the two bottom snoods. When I tested this in the clear water the difference was obvious it too the best part of a minute for the baits to settle to the sea bed. With the current I was casting into they would be wafting perfectly, and I got a hell of alot of dabs and whiting as a result, in bright sunshine.

I am currently working on getting different types and even small inline spinner bblads, I haven't tried them yet, but they look the muts nuts.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i have on purpose used luminous beads loads for fishing for dabs and whiting, right through the winter.

the difference has been huge. i have been catching every cast while otheres around me struggle. even after ai added them to others there catch rate went up.

in a dirty river luminous beads are deadly for codling, coalies and flounder. obviously in daylight they dont need charging but at night they need charging with a lamp each cast.

. . . . .

i might start a session with them only on one hook until i can find a pattern.

. . . . .

i dont use them all the time, only if i find that the venue and available species will warrent them.
thanks, dabcatcher . Maybe I shall start regularly doing what I should already have tried - using a 4 hook flapper with luminous beads on hooks 2 and 4 and non-luminous ones of the same size & weight on hooks 1 & 3. And hopefully that layout will cut-out differences due to position on the trace , leaving only whether it is luminous to make the difference

Still can't understand why luminous pirks (in deep water) don't do better - in daytime, anyway - there are plenty of smart (expensive) luminous-bellied ones on sale and though you may think they are more for catching the buyer than the fish (or are for use in tropical or Norweigan waters i.e. for different types of fish or for Cod & Coaley in very deep water) I bet there are some in the UK who use them & think they are good

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
thanks, dabcatcher . Maybe I shall start regularly doing what I should already have tried - using a 4 hook flapper with luminous beads on hooks 2 and 4 and non-luminous ones of the same size & weight on hooks 1 & 3. And hopefully that layout will cut-out differences due to position on the trace , leaving only whether it is luminous to make the difference

Still can't understand why luminous pirks (in deep water) don't do better - in daytime, anyway - there are plenty of smart (expensive) luminous-bellied ones on sale and though you may think they are more for catching the buyer than the fish (or are for use in tropical or Norweigan waters i.e. for different types of fish or for Cod & Coaley in very deep water) I bet there are some in the UK who use them & think they are good
pirks etc are used usually in mid/clear water. most fish are attacking the silouete thinking its a fish. pollock even do this from the shore.

i use luminous beads when fishing hard on the bottom usually at night or in dirty water when visibility is very poor. the beads are on the sea bed where the fish is rumaging for food. the bead just draws the fishes attention to the bait offering.

a tip is to use a stop knot to keep the beads right up to the bait. you can get false bites if the beads are away from the hook as the fish go for the beads.

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
floaties can be lethal! try em.
i use a 15mm floating bead for mackerel, garfish, bream and bass. the bead keeps the bait up in the water and easily seen in clear water. with a 4ft hooklength and strip of mackerel the bait is actually 4ft off the bottom. picks up loads of gars and mackerel.

·
Registered
24,217 Posts
RT
since I started selling the luminous beads to the membership many guys tell me how much more their catch rate has improved.

My last session out saw me innundated with dogs and whiting at their playground of Knab rock Swansea .. the other guys either side of me only produced one whiting between them .

I have also used the same combo fishing for flatties and seemed to do better than normal unbeaded hook lengths.

The experimental sequence of beads I have been using from the is top down to hook...a 6 turn sliding grinner stop knot ,one 4 mm green lumi, one 8mm green lumi, one 7 mm red fyrelyte,one 8mm white lumi, one 8mm lemon fyrelyte,one 8mm white lumi then the hook.

There is a tendency for the beads to help float the baited hook but a floatie added is even better , this appears to be the case for flatties and codling as well when using short low down snoods.

Hook sizes ranged from size 6 circles to size 6/0 octopus and lots of in between
sizes mainly 5/0 and 3/0 , I've caught on all hook sizes.

I have also used alternative / substitute beads and smaller sizes but have not had the same success with those I now use.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
If anyone wants to save money on brightly coloured floating beads, look at your local toy shop or market for FLOAM. It's a tub of polystyrene balls, bound in a day-glo adhesive. You can mould it to any shape and make the beads as large or small as you want. At around £1 a tub, it ain't gonna break the bank

·
Registered
24,217 Posts
If anyone wants to save money on brightly coloured floating beads, look at your local toy shop or market for FLOAM. It's a tub of polystyrene balls, bound in a day-glo adhesive. You can mould it to any shape and make the beads as large or small as you want. At around £1 a tub, it ain't gonna break the bank
Codhead,
That Floam stuff seem to be what I 'm after .
How long does the Floam stay as a bead /float in sea water .

Can you have four rigs and do a 6 hr session , recasting every 15 min on two rods without it degrading ??? What degrade path does it take ?

My 5 yr old daughter kindly donated some Sillyputty (all in a good cause) but it quickly dissolved off the line and didn't take too kindly to a hard cast.

Regards
David

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I had these today, in bright sunshine. I was using clear rigs too, but I did get hits quicker with the attractors.

I was fishing in a stong current, one thing I am realising is that it is no point having an attractor if your bait is not moving. The scent/pressence of your bait does enough if it is just stationary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts