World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a wee try at Auchmithie last night,

fished the small beach, using razors,mussels,mackerel,lug,sandeels.
sea was calmer than i wanted but had some colour so conditions seemed quite good,

but a slow start lol :)
nothing for couple off hours on the incoming tide, nearer high tide rod started nodding... :)
picked rod and waited for the bites again and struck into them, managed too pull in a whopper ... massive ...must have been 9 oz lol...:)

i think it was a coalfish , but not totally sure, ive heard someone say if the lower jaw protrudes more than top its possibly a pollack.
anyway im sure someone on here may id it with no probs. ( i say coalfish ? but the slightly longer lower jaw got me thinking. pic dosnt show it too well as im still using my sons 5 quid digital camera on fishing trips lol.)
however its always good too get that first fish ..saves the blank :)

then not longer after another small yin.

i moved too nearby rocks and fished high too low tide , left around 10 : 30 pm
caught 3 Codling,1 around 1lb other 2 around 2 lbs, every codling was very lively, and fought all the way in ... i thought i had a far bigger fish on 3 times, :g:

was a good wee session , but damm that wind was cold lol.

best bait was mussels , all fish returned .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nice one well done mate. Good little session there. I agree with the fish ident, think you have a coalfish there.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well done on the catch Andy. Though about going out myself but the cold got the better of me.

That wee beach to the left of the harbour always produces. I prefer it to the other side. Probably cos I'm an un-sociable old B though and the other side usually has a load of folk fishing.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
the easiest way to tell its a coalie is the .....straight .. white.. lateral line.

the small beach there. did there used to be a small camp site to the back of it?

if so, right in front of you close to the side of the rock is a massive deep hole. i dived there once with a freind about 20 years ago. some nice conger in there too.

there was a fish house near there too.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers Guys,
aye i can only try my best :)

the easiest way to tell its a coalie is the .....straight .. white.. lateral line.

the small beach there. did there used to be a small camp site to the back of it?

if so, right in front of you close to the side of the rock is a massive deep hole. i dived there once with a freind about 20 years ago. some nice conger in there too.

there was a fish house near there too.

dabcatcher , sorry i dont know the area very well, only fished there a couple off times, good too know that conger are about, i may take up another rod sometime soon and try for em :)
cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts