World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im am going to get my life jackets tomorrow, have you any advice as to whats best as i am going to have some clip on safety lines as well cheers andy

G

·
Go for Auto inflate if possible. At least if you got knocked unconscious while going overboard it will still inflate.

G

·
Go Auto

Personally I don't like the clip on lines on small boats as they have a habit of pulling you under the boat and into the prop.

Work well on a sailing boat under sail, but not with propellers (IMHO).

·
Banned
820 Posts
hi im am going to get my life jackets tomorrow, have you any advice as to whats best as i am going to have some clip on safety lines as well cheers andy
My own one has both options. Auto and manual. Annoyingly the manual pull cord get's in the way when I reel in. If I move it under the velcro that holds the inflatable bag or tape it up out of the way and it doesn't auto inflate I may not be able to get to it should I go in. A dilemma?????:g:

G

·
I have just bought a clip on line for use purely when going up front to the anchor locker while at sea. Is is just long enough to allow you forwards but not long enough to reach the prop if you fell in.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Go Auto

Personally I don't like the clip on lines on small boats as they have a habit of pulling you under the boat and into the prop.

Work well on a sailing boat under sail, but not with propellers (IMHO).
That kind of worries me too. I have one but sooner or later I feel I'm going to trip or get tangled in it and fall or go oveboard.

G

·
Mine is clipped to the Roof rails so is out of the way. When we go up to the nows we just clip it to a harness. Nothing to trip over then. Can you not put some kind of permanent fixing to the cabin roof to attach it to?

G

·
We fit water ski style "D" rings to startegic locations on some owners boats for dogs on leads or children on reigns.
I guess the same principal could apply for a life jacket harness...

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi is it possible to get some sort of extendable type a bit like one of those dog leads but with a seat belt rachet system seems it would solve most concerns with safety lines is it better to get a 150 n or a 175n for a bigger person (15stone..to many pies) cheers andy

G

·
My own personal lifejacket is a 150N Crewsaver Crewfit.
Very comfortable (you forget you have it on) and more tha enough bouyancy for me (also a 15 stone pie eating machine).

Check out the guys comments over harness'. Use one for going forward and simpy clip it to a rail, but I don't advise one in the cockpit unless you (the skipper) are the one wearing it and you are inturn connected to the engines kill cord.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If you beach launch small boats an auto inflate may be inflated at an awkward moment. Only seen that happen once but it certainly got a few laughs. Does not help at all.
My preference is a bouyancy aid - the Fladden waistcoat is my choice.
Perhaps not as safe as a proper lifejacket but warm, comfortable and useful pockets.
All the safety line advice is good - as long as you remember to use it.
Oh, get a safety (serrated blade) knife and wear it where it is easy to get at. Plenty of accidents whilst anchoring and mooring.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Mine is clipped to the Roof rails so is out of the way. When we go up to the nows we just clip it to a harness. Nothing to trip over then. Can you not put some kind of permanent fixing to the cabin roof to attach it to?
Hi Well it's a Sehogg Shortie so going up front is not an option. I use a lazy line for the anchor. I did think about a retractible dog lead. I have not had a look at one, so no idea if they are strong enough. 16 stone going overboard! I would certainly act as a sea anchor.

·
Banned
820 Posts
If you beach launch small boats an auto inflate may be inflated at an awkward moment. Only seen that happen once but it certainly got a few laughs. Does not help at all.
My preference is a bouyancy aid - the Fladden waistcoat is my choice.
Perhaps not as safe as a proper lifejacket but warm, comfortable and useful pockets.
All the safety line advice is good - as long as you remember to use it.
Oh, get a safety (serrated blade) knife and wear it where it is easy to get at. Plenty of accidents whilst anchoring and mooring.
Were you the guy that posted the story of his jacket inflating as he opened the front hatch to pull up the anchor and got stuck in the hatch opening?
I still laugh when I think of that.

I wear a floatation suit too most times so the inflatable harness type are a better option with that on.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Were you the guy that posted the story of his jacket inflating as he opened the front hatch to pull up the anchor and got stuck in the hatch opening?
I still laugh when I think of that.

I wear a floatation suit too most times so the inflatable harness type are a better option with that on.
It was not me - honest. No names - could happen to anyone.:help:

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
IMHO a secure strap for the helmsman is essential if there is an open back to the wheelhouse/cuddy or in an open boat. If the helmsman got flipped going at full chat he would go overboard and the boat would do a crash shop with dead engines. Then you have three problems - helmsman in the water, dead engine and possible crew injuries from being thrown forward.

Better to have a short strap (6 feet max) fixed to a U bolt on the steering console and clipped the the front of a harness-type lifejacket. Diesels don't have kill switches as a rule anyway. This means if you hit an unexpected wave, helmsman loses his balance, stays in boat, engine keeps going, crew unaffected - back in business as soon as the helmsman recovers his composure. For going on the foredeck, I use a longer line but I would never do that with the prop running anyway, it would only be for dropping anchor or recovering.

When fishing alone I use the same line but the loose bit clipped to the back of the lifejacket with a velcro strip, I often forget it is there. I prefer auto lifejackets, I have several manual ones but all of them manage to hide their pull toggles inside a velcro fold, if it was being worn by a guest or the person was in a panic they could easily miss it or even forget to pull it.
FWIW

·
Registered
3,652 Posts

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
If you want a safety line that wont get under your feet or tangled then this might be what your after, not cheap though.....
http://www.arco.co.uk/cgi-bin/arcobvp.dll/Arco/controller?event=product&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddkgkkgjjicflgcefkdfggdfoo.0&productcode=436200

Alan
Or for a cheaper, non-retracting version get one made up by a local company that makes tie-down straps. I got mine made to measure for a couple of quid, I supplied the clips bought from a chandlers. At the price you could have several made up of various lengths.

·
Banned
820 Posts
If you want a safety line that wont get under your feet or tangled then this might be what your after, not cheap though.....
http://www.arco.co.uk/cgi-bin/arcobvp.dll/Arco/controller?event=product&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddkgkkgjjicflgcefkdfggdfoo.0&productcode=436200

Alan
Mhhh £67 and I only get 2.4 mtrs of cord. That would hang me just nicely within range of the prop.
I'll risk tripping up. I made my own with the same webbing I used with the boat trailer tie down ratchets. Bright orange it is. Plus two carabine (carrabine??) clips. Total £9.00

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Read all comments and will give everybody a laugh,me and brother were launching the dingy down slip,(both had self inflating jackets) me holding dingy at the pointed end, broth at stern,he trips and lets go of dingy,in i go and in his words straight down,poped up like a cork,muttering a few choice words at brother,so moral of story without a doubt SELF INFLATING. == PAT

·
Registered
842 Posts
A quick question, how much water does it take to set off an Auto inflating lifejacket, ie would rain water , sea spray set it off, as I need to get a couple for the summer, as a lightweight alternative to what I've got now.

Cheers Ian

1 - 20 of 41 Posts