World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,i have a dell quay dory 14 and need a reliable back up engine.what would be the smallest hp i could use in coastal waters as a auxilary.? i have a 40 mariner on the back already so i dont want to stress the transom with to much weight. i have seen some new 3hp models 4 sale at 300 bucks which is about my budget but am worried they wont have enough wooomf to get me back in safely.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just for comparitive purposes, I have a 60hs Mariner Big Foot on a 15ft boat and use a 4 hs Mariner as back-up. The set up works fine and was installed in that combo by the boat builders. I have, thankfully, never had to resort to the auxilliary in a crisis, but test it often and it inspires at least some confidence. Hope that helps. Cheers :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ive got a old 3.5 Mercury on the back of my Seahog and it pushes it along at just over five knots.
Out of interest what kind of speed are you getting out of your dory with the forty horse.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
There is no difference in weight between 3 and 4 horse so I would go for the 4.

It will push you along between 6 and 8 knots at a guess

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Jack, I have a 3.5 Suzuki on the back of my 14ft dory & when needed it does the job, I am looking for a seagull though, either 4 or 5HP, they have the best "home run " record of any auxillary, go for ever on a thimble full of juice, & will run for 24hrs non stop.
Ugly & noisy they may be, but there is one out there with my name on it!
blueskip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers All... I, Owned A Seagull Previosly And I Must Have Had The Only One Thats Ever Broken Down!..i Coud,nt Get Second Hand Parts And New Parts Were Pricey And Rare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
swanseajack said:
hi guys,i have a dell quay dory 14 and need a reliable back up engine.what would be the smallest hp i could use in coastal waters as a auxilary.? i have a 40 mariner on the back already so i dont want to stress the transom with to much weight. i have seen some new 3hp models 4 sale at 300 bucks which is about my budget but am worried they wont have enough wooomf to get me back in safely.....
do you have big tides running where you are ??????? i fish out of the exe estuary and with a big spring tide coupled with a strong wind i think an engine of at least 15 hp would have a hard time of it ........but if you dont have strong/big tides you could get away with smaller

·
Registered
34 Posts
blueskip said:
Jack, I am looking for a seagull though, either 4 or 5HP, they have the best "home run " record of any auxillary, go for ever on a thimble full of juice, & will run for 24hrs non stop.
Ugly & noisy they may be, but there is one out there with my name on it!
blueskip
Ugly and Noisy, not now this is my seagul 6hp aux engine

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Sanctuary, your file was too big to open, so not only is your engine ugly & noisy its also invisible! Cut the pixel size down a bit & send it again.
Its probably one of their super dooper new enclosed "Vauxhall Corsa" models, with very little character is it? I want everybody to know I have a Seagull, as I go past with my ear defenders on, leaving a trail of blue smoke in my wake!
Sorry Jack but that could only happen to a Swansea Jack, did you buy it from somebody off "the hill", if so, they probably took it out of a skip in West Cross!
Did you get an electric shock from your gas stove on the same day? Hang onto it, then when I get mine you can give it to me for spares, hahahahah
blueskip

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think I used the wrong hosting site changed to another and picture is now showing. I am having the main engine repaired tomorrow oil seals gone bet you the weather turns bad once its done. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts