World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on an auxilliary for my Beneteau Antares 620. The fact that I will probably/hopefully never use it makes the eye-watering prices being asked at the moment even more depressing. A 5 HP Mariner is £880 from some retailers although some places with old stock still have them at £775.

I'm reluctant so go second-hand as I don't know enough about outboards to take a risk with a pretty important bit of kit. I saw a place on line selling Parsuns - based on Yamaha apparently - and wondered if anyone on here has heard of them or has any experience of them. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Paul, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a Mariner/Mercury dealer who is offering those sort of prices. I've tried quite a few from Boats and Outboards etc and cant get under £775 for a 5hp Mariner.

Cheers

Barry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, another question. What would be the minimum size engine I could get away with. Would a 4hp do it?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Hi Barry....your profile says "England"...it may be more helpful to post your exact location as the size of outboard you would require would obviously depend on tidal conditions etc

For example...on a 620 I think a 4hp would struggle in the tides of the Bristol Channel. You'd struggle to make headway if you were going against the tide

Matt

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Matt. Location is Cornwall but I run out of Plymouth. I will edit my profile. I guess it might struggle against a strong tide but it's main purpose is just to get me home in the event main engine failure I could probably just anchor untill the tide is more favourable if I was struggling. Or am I being naive/tight/both?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Can never be too careful mate!!

The way I would look at it is this....no point in paying £700ish for a 4hp motor that won't get you out of danger if needs be. Thats a waste of £700. Much better to pay that bit more and get a 6hp say and know that it will get you home in whatever tide state.

There are some situations where anchoring and waiting for the tide may not be an option?

have you considered a newish low hours secondhand aux? Think i would be more confident with a newer main engine and a slightly used aux?

Only my thoughts....I'm sure others will have different opinions and 620 owners would be the best for advice

Matt

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Thanks Paul, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a Mariner/Mercury dealer who is offering those sort of prices. I've tried quite a few from Boats and Outboards etc and cant get under £775 for a 5hp Mariner.

Cheers

Barry
You could also look for a Tohatsu - the small Mercurys and Mariners are actually Tohatsus with a different paint job, and there are also some places still advertising new old stock 2 strokes which due to the lighter weight make a lot of sense as an aux if you don't mind the hassle of pre-mix.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
I have just been through this saga this year trying to find a suitable aux and secondhand they are like rocking horse poo and the tohatsu's are now morethan the mercury/mariners i ended up with a 18 yr old 5hp two stroke that i took a gamble on from bembridge outboards in the isle of wight :thumbs:

i explained to them that it would be getting fitted at my local merc mariner dealer and he would show me how it worked and he was happy for that as well
i paid £180 and what a little gem it is starts first/second pull and runs a dream:clap:
My local dealer looked it over for me and said if they had bothered to paint the bracket and turning tunnel they could have got about 300 to 350 for it

so there are some out there but be prepared to hunt and wait i was looking for about a year

ETEC

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul thanks for that but I tried them for Mariners this morning and they advised that prices on their web site are out of date ue to recent price rises. Didn't ask about Tohatsus though so will try them tomorrow.

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were actually the people pushing the Parsun. I Googled Parsun and came up with the UK distributors - Parsonoutboard.co.uk. Surprise, surprise, same trading address as Bill Higham Marine. I will be cautious if I do use them

Paul - thanks for the link to the second-hand outboards - wonder if they will ship to Cornwall.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice

Barry

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd go for a 2-4yr old used model. How about a Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke? Ebay item 190326434354 .

When I needed an outboard for my inflatable last year I bought this from a dealer at about two years old...

You can see it's just like new and was about 70% of new price inc delivery in a proper makers box. I have no worries about used smaller outboards... often they are purchased with great plans of frequent boating which never happen and they end up hardly run in after a couple of years and are then sold on.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts