World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, been looking at these Avets as suggested, and i must say they look bloomin nice reels !! a bit more info please - what physicle size is the SX compared to say an ABU 6500 or 7000 ?
do i go for 2 speed or single speed bareing in mind the reel will mainly be used drift fishing for bass with the odd wreck trip thrown in working sidewinders etc is the 5.3:1 retrieve on the single speed ok for this style of fishing or would the 2 speed be better ?
and the biggest decision of all - what colour do i go for..!!!! ?? :roll1::roll1:
one decision i have made is that i would go for the MC cast version.
cheers gents A

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Do a search on here, someone (concrete IIRC) did a post comparing the SX to various other reels.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Some very good advice on their maintenance is available with a search, think it was Blackdog pointing out the correct way to wash ie dunk, shake and let air/dry not tap or hose. Also some gen from someone re drags earlier this week [sorry can't remember name]

Very nice reels if looked after properly. With tlc may NEVER need replacing.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
ok guys, been looking at these Avets as suggested, and i must say they look bloomin nice reels !! a bit more info please - what physicle size is the SX compared to say an ABU 6500 or 7000 ?
do i go for 2 speed or single speed bareing in mind the reel will mainly be used drift fishing for bass with the odd wreck trip thrown in working sidewinders etc is the 5.3:1 retrieve on the single speed ok for this style of fishing or would the 2 speed be better ?
and the biggest decision of all - what colour do i go for..!!!! ?? :roll1::roll1:
one decision i have made is that i would go for the MC cast version.
cheers gents A
I use a 5.3 drifiting for bass in Pembs and it seems fine. Go for black to match the blank, 'Dark Destroyer' outfit!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Smaller than a 6500 Abu & about the same weight but the handle is quite large with a huge knob:oops: which from a casting point of view, is a bit of a drawback, however, for Boat fishing it is immensly powerful & will handle anything.
If the 2 speed has a max retrieve of 5.3-1 i wouldnt bother to pay the extra. As for colour, i think the Silver is way more durable. Mine has had a fair bit of use & is unmarked.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I find the 5.3:1 retrieve more than capable to be honest. Not sure why but seems as fast as a 6:1 Torium.

I have a silver and gunmetal in the SX(also silver in MXJ5.8...which by the way is not much bigger than the SX).

I have heard that coloured reels marked but my gunmetal seems fine.

Matt

G

·
I've got two silver ones and a blue one. My rod fell over and the blue reel hit a rock and it didn't even mark it. The Avets do sit a bit higher than other reels, similar to the old shimano speedmasters.

G

·
I've had lots of smoothounds on my blue Avet, best 19lbs and it was effortless to be honest. The drag is unbelievably smooth.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well....after alot of hard thinking over i finally decided on an AVET SX 5.3 MC in black. Recieved it today and all i can say is what a little beauty !! How do AVET do it for the price, when you look at these other compact lever drag reels around like the DAIWA SALTIST, SNOWBEE DEEP BLUE and PENN TORQUE etc can,t get them for less than £250.00. The AVET looks very well engineered, very solidly built and so smooth, can,t believe the size of the handle for the size of this reel, it,s huge ! all in all an absolute gem i think.
Just strapped it to my KENZAKI 12/20 and looks and feels the bizzo, black dark destroyer combo like Trigger said :roll1::roll1:
i phoned up ROK-MAX for some advice 1st and the guy couldn,t have been more helpful, explaining all the features of the reel and what version to get for the type of fishing i wanted to do. Ordered midnight on Sunday recieved 11 am today (tuesday) came with a free ROK-MAX neoprine reel skin, ROK-MAX sticker and even refunded £2.00 cash as the postage i paid online was too much. how,s that for service !!!
on a par with Russ at BLAKDOG i reckon.
Just got to wait for the weather to settle again now so i can go out and try it out on the bass, if it performs as good as it looks i,ll be a well happy bunny A

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
good choice mate you wont look back I use mine for everything now goes lovely with my suveran 12lb equally at home on the beach enjoy :punk:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Turn the mags down to no.1 put in to free bait and flik that spool. :punk:

Enjoy.

Please read drag pre set warning in the manual. Only adjust in free spool.

Top combo, you will love it. Congrats :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the advice and good comments guys, what do you all think i should load her up with ??? was thinking 30lb Power Pro..?? A

1 - 20 of 32 Posts