World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Mondays decent sesh I thought i'd go down to Avon again last night....the Christchurch AC match was on the Friars section and that was won with 5 metres of fish so guess where I went :)

Started quite later than usual due to having a day off today (friday) i thought i'd fish the tide out and back in again.

The night didn't start well (and did get worse), without any bait I needed to get to the shops for 6 before they closed....The plan was to bait up at Davis...mainly as it was on the road in...I thought they closed at six so the fight to get down after work was on...traffic into Christchurch was ridiculous....but I got there for 545...however schoolboy error this...despite getting down for 545 it was CLOSED at 530...fark..quick 15 minutes to get to Christchurch Angling...and as the traffic was awful on the phone to beg they stay open...relieve closed at 630 (the poor sods)...

I think i need to start a venture selling bait out of hours....

Anyway...a bite to eat at a fine fried chicken establishment and i was ready for action.

The moon was shining onto the beach, the waves rocking...I couldn't get the gear out the car quick enough. With a bit of wind it was a tad chilly, but the night was pretty decent weather wise. I must admit I'm not one for getting to a venue in the dark, I like to setup in daylight and fish the dusk knowing if i've not had any bites then i'll at least get more chance...this will now start to become less of an issue now with the daytime increasing I guess.

It did Look like they've had a lot of damage recently that end on the beach, the beach was very flat and I struggled to find anywhere with much height to avoid any potential weed...First cast out was with a two hook flapper and some rag....rod was bouncing but I left that out while setting up little rod for some scratching about....brought it in for the first catch of the day with a medium sized Pout. Thoughts were...1. Oh sht this will be a night of pout and bait stripping....2. Bigger predators lie within :)

The high tide was for about 8pm, this produced quite a bit of surf...I saw another guy arrive 4/5 groins down near the steamer end so I wasn't entirely alone...too far to go and have a chat, plus he had the same tip light as grumpy guts from Mondays sessions so I didn't want to go through that level of conversation again. After a bit the rod was moving a bit but didn't produce anything. Weed was a problem though It was getting stuck on the line but not too badly to worry about reeling back in....this looked to be coming in with the running flow and was getting caught on a second wave break, silly me I kept the weed on as the line didn't seem to be dragging. It got to about 9pm and I'd had a few nibbles...when for some reason the line (that was still out there, fixed spool) decided to bloody back up and twist itself...WTF how? it was slack...with a line out there (and I thought a bite) so I fart arsed about with this with it still out there which turned into disaster...time wasn't on my side due to the weed and tide...so you guessed it off the poxy line and rig went....

So...what do I do? Go home....get wound up on the way home through failure...kick the dog when I get home? I kept looking at the swell coming upto high, it was due to be high for 1030...the moon shining on it made it more tempting to catch something....so I said No fk it I'm starting again..plus its rather tough to waste 3 quid of lugworms plus I wanted to catch something decent haha

I casted out again and got done in by the weed...it was just getting worse with the swell...stuck on the leader knot...not enough time to get it off...stuff of nightmares..it almost must be what paralysis feels like....you can see the line...its slack time to wipe it..then its off again with the tide grrrr....over the stand and rod goes....For god sake...then the next issue occurs....weed on the (even tapered) leader knot had so much of the clump on I couldn't get it off ....SNAP that had gone....FFS the bloke down the end really must had heard my screams going on with the Westerly winds thats for sure...I'd nearly lost my tether with this weed. With the thought of having lost a second leader that was nearly it for the night...for some reason i shone the torch and managed to find the leader!!! Back it went on....

The next step was out of pure desperation and had the potential to go even horribly wrong...

Anyone who fishes this beach will know Friars had a top prom walkway....it certainly was higher than the beach so I thought Fk it i'm going up there.....i'll go out with the last of the lug on a three hook flapper, and call it a night if nothing more pops up....

The move to the prom kept the poxy green stuff at bay! And despite holding the rod I could feel those nice nips that I felt holding up the rod on monday down the other end...It was also such a beautiful night with the moonlight to just chill. Nip nip nip....hellloooo is this who I think it is again? I gave it 20 mins as it was a 3 hook and reeled in....yes definitely heavier...weed? nope BASS....again, boy my bass luck is in at the moment....not huge unfortunately but it gave me at least something to write home about and erase any of the awful issues with the line :)

1622219_10153800595015537_1786459090_n.jpg

Off home packed up and was outa there...to cap off the night I dropped my stand and stood on the rod rest bit...that got bent..great...anything else left to go wrong??? Jeez get in the car it was 1230...where had the time bloody gone!!!!

I got home safely and into bed rather in the early hours of the morning today but was very glad i'd got out for a session last night when I got woken up by the levels of rain on the window this morning...this will also be the only window this weekend no doubt.

Tight lines all...this weather is getting better they say next week...only half the wind speeds!

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Enjoyed that epic brother, well done mate on your bass run. No chance of fishing tonight on Seaford.
Stevo T

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Cheers Steve....Not sure i'd catch a bass next on a Boillie though :)

They have a very rich taste for lug it appears.
Hi Mate
You might one day on one of mine! Don't close your mind.
Nice one
Stevo T

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Great report mate! well done again.

Was there a large machine working on the beach?.........I went there yesterday lunch time & there was a low loader parked up with a big 360 digger on it.....just wondered if they had started any work on the beach.

Splodge.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great report mate! well done again.

Was there a large machine working on the beach?.........I went there yesterday lunch time & there was a low loader parked up with a big 360 digger on it.....just wondered if they had started any work on the beach.

Splodge.
Yes matey...the section at the bottom of the ramp down to the right where the huts start was closed off. Big boulders on the beach I presume ready to get moved about for protection.

I should have put a note on the dozer window "Driver - Shingle needed at the back of each groyne section so we can avoid the weed and catch less pout"

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
ha ha , sorry mate shouldnt laugh , great report once again and you did catch , sounds like the weed has moved back in again , Tom at the shop says he will stay open for you to sell you some more gear !! we will be down there ourselves monday night but it may be cancelled looking at the weather forecast and no beach to fish on at high tide and standing on that prom means you are effectively casting into a mass of foam and thats all, so well done on persevering i admire that about you , PM sent re bait

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
good pic ironman and shows how the scoured beach and s/e wind can just drive that sea with nothing to stop it down there , we fish approx 20 yds in front of those huts normally , not any more , i reckon its small tides only until it all settles down a bit,

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha ha , sorry mate shouldnt laugh , great report once again and you did catch , sounds like the weed has moved back in again , Tom at the shop says he will stay open for you to sell you some more gear !! we will be down there ourselves monday night but it may be cancelled looking at the weather forecast and no beach to fish on at high tide and standing on that prom means you are effectively casting into a mass of foam and thats all, so well done on persevering i admire that about you
Tom will be able to retire with the amount of leader/rig stuff I'm buying haha

Monday looks like it will be gruesome....Tuesdays a good night can't they defer the match?

I might try Southbourne next until they sort out the back of Avon, not good.

This tweet shows even more destruction on Avon http://t.co/yxQISwSeyB

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
i agree , moving the match makes sense though of course people arrange their lives around a monday fixture ,we will see and will not take any chances re safety thats for sure , sunday looks good for baitdigging , midweek looks better for a match , i think i told you that 2 weeks ago i was fishing there and a massive wave smashed into the huts behind me , picked up my heavy rucksack like a toy and it was floating out to sea when i grabbed it before hastily getting outta there

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree , moving the match makes sense though of course people arrange their lives around a monday fixture ,we will see and will not take any chances re safety thats for sure , sunday looks good for baitdigging , midweek looks better for a match , i think i told you that 2 weeks ago i was fishing there and a massive wave smashed into the huts behind me , picked up my heavy rucksack like a toy and it was floating out to sea when i grabbed it before hastily getting outta there
Yes mate, i must admit even thursday I had the gear as far back as possible.

MrE knows all about gear being washed out if he's reading this....

·
Registered
21 Posts
in answer to the question in the twitter photo 'where have all the beach huts gone?' the debris is scattered all along the beach to highcliff and beyond. The beach in front of the curved sea defence wall has been pushed so high that when i walked along the beach i could rest my elbow on top of the wall!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in answer to the question in the twitter photo 'where have all the beach huts gone?' the debris is scattered all along the beach to highcliff and beyond. The beach in front of the curved sea defence wall has been pushed so high that when i walked along the beach i could rest my elbow on top of the wall!
Just been down to southbourne for a walk....its a wreck down there..funnily enough a lot of green painted wood was about...must be a cowboy builder out there somewhere selling them in the summer haha

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
the section at the fir trees avon beach has been hammered , 100 to 150 beach huts either moved to a strange position , wrecked /damaged or in the case of 50 or so huts , totally disappeared from sight as of a midday visit today by myself

1 - 17 of 17 Posts