World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not really, just wanted your attention! anyway, i fished the loughor est this morning, 2 1/2 hours before high tide and 2 hours after. i'm new to fishing, my experienced friend-fisherman couldn't make it today because he watched the rugby at Cardiff instead (yawn!). i had misgivings about the height of the tide (after reading forum), he reckoned it would be fine. so i went along with my nephew and son. what a load of junk! snag after snag, couldn't hold bottom, not a single bite, although it would have been impossible to tell with the weight bobbing along the bottom. i guess you guys were right about the high tide, eh? can anyone shed some light on fishing at loughor? i really don't want to say "never going there again" as i've heard good reports about this venue. i'd love to have another crack if conditions are better for it.
thanks in advance, i really will be grateful for any advice you may have.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Sounds like you were fishing under the bridge, that's where all the old shopping trolleys get dumped, hence the snags. ;)

It's better fished on a small tide really, during a spell of dry settled weather, either further up from the bridge or further down on the Llanelli side. :)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
when i fish there i never tend to fish more than 10 yards out, it allows you to aviod gthe snags and the drag of the tide. Anyway it was a nice day to be out.

kelvin

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Thats one place i havent fished and by the looks of it i am not thanks for the info i stay two the places i know tight lines
HI ROCKLING, DONT BE PUT OFF BY ONE BAD REPORT.FISHED UNDER THE BRIDGE REGULAR WITH THE BOYS AND REGULARLY HAVE NICE BASS AND FLOUNDER.:clap3: DONT NORMALLY FIND IT THAT SNAGGY EITHER.:g: DEAN.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
HI ROCKLING, DONT BE PUT OFF BY ONE BAD REPORT.FISHED UNDER THE BRIDGE REGULAR WITH THE BOYS AND REGULARLY HAVE NICE BASS AND FLOUNDER.:clap3: DONT NORMALLY FIND IT THAT SNAGGY EITHER.:g: DEAN.
Thanks great escape one weekend you will have to show me mate how to fush it hen thanks tight lines

·
Registered
24,833 Posts
I have been there on a very low tide and found out the following......

Standing on the Swansea side bank with your back to the left hand edge of the concrete of the old bridge there are two rows old metal work or heavy wooden stakes from that corner going out at 11 o'clock to well over half way across the river every 15 feet or so .

Walk down the steps beware the sand is often very soft and fluffy and you can sink in to past your calf's
If you stand at the said corner and cast out 30 yards or so to 1 or 2 o'clock you can fish the little pool there which has slack water in it when all else is rushing by and be fairly free of snags. I got my first schoolie bass there and some fresh water eels that were migrating to the fresh water this time last year.

Don't bother standing on the right hand side of the concrete as suddenly you hit lots of concrete lumps

Take care if you try and walk to the new bridge piers as there is a run off from the wall about 20 mtrs from the old bridge that has very dodgy banks and it is deep sludge and soft sand walk along the wall edges till you get a few feet from the line of the new bridge and then carefully walk to under the new bridge.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Preferably when its about 10C colder than now, I find that when the dewdrop on the end of your nose becomes a lollipop, that Lougher time, October to January is the best time, its getting very crabbie about now I bet?
blueskip

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks. might leave it till the autumn then. i was fishing to the left side of the bridge (swansea side). we then moved to the right side. we even crossed to the Llanelli side upstream a bit from the rocks. david, when you say old bridge and new bridge, i take it you mean the railway and roadway bridges respectively? sorry for being so dull. thanks all again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts