World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Sometimes when I start my Johnson 50hp vro ourboard on the key I just get a click and nothing else, this may happen 2/3 times (not all the time). Then again sometimes it starts first time no problem. Anyone know what is happening ?
is this a major problem in the early stages?
To be fair, it has been sitting there for 6 months, but has been connected to a solar panel all that time and the batteries show as fully charged.
PB

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Sticky starter solenoid or dodgy battery/starter connection.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Had a similar prob on my Merc 40 2 stroke a few years back. Had to start it with the cord a few times. It seemed the starter motor was not spinning fast enought to throw the little gear on the starter shaft (cannot remeber the tech term!) into the starter ring gear to turn the engine. Traced it to a dodgy connection in the isolator switch. If you have one it might be worth jumping over it temporarily (i.e. take it out of the circuit) to see if there is any diff.
ATB

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hi
Sometimes when I start my Johnson 50hp vro ourboard on the key I just get a click and nothing else, this may happen 2/3 times (not all the time). Then again sometimes it starts first time no problem. Anyone know what is happening ?
is this a major problem in the early stages?
To be fair, it has been sitting there for 6 months, but has been connected to a solar panel all that time and the batteries show as fully charged.
PB
Check the connections on the starter motor, if that fails, it's quite probably the starter motor brushes or equivalent if it's brushless, could be a weak solenoid, but more likely the starter itself, the clicking is the solenoid engaging, but it's not connecting with the motor.

AL ..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Your probably not getting enough juice to the starter motor, bad earthing is usually at fault especially after a lay up. Clean all conections and make sure they are sound, if a lead from the battery is warming up then this is the one at fault. I had to change my leads last year and no problems now. Try a set of jump leads from another battery connected to the leads at the original battery and try starting then, this is how i found my problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts