World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had fitted 4 cheapish rod holders I used the clams as I thought they looked a bit light for heavy fishing and I was right.
I broke two the first time out and they were not big fish 15lb spurs I had the drag on my reel quit tight as we were moving about at anchor and with four rods out I dint want to let any line out but when the fish pulled down the holder snapped then another one went the same way.

Question is has any one came across any robust holder preferable ones that clamp on..

And before you can see the rod in the holder on the left and my mate with one of the fish that done the damage..

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
nice fish m8. i used to use those but now have rocket launchers stainless steel, alot better.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
try scotty holders tough as old boots not cheap but you get what you pay for . buy cheap you get cheap. got mine from hook1 in the states . first used them on my kayak now on my boat .
agree if not going the stainless route the scotty ones look a lot more robust. but as said not cheap like everything you only get what you pay for cheap ones i have to but can see there straining so will only be a matter of time. that would have been the sunart trip i take it kenny probably would have been better to ease up on the drag in that deep water and ratchet on might have helped 3 or 4 hundred ft of waters going to put a bit of strain on them. good trip there.

G

·
try scotty holders tough as old boots not cheap but you get what you pay for . buy cheap you get cheap. got mine from hook1 in the states . first used them on my kayak now on my boat .
Have to agree, myself and most of the Brighton Charter Fleet use the Scotty ones - bulletproof :)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Have to agree, myself and most of the Brighton Charter Fleet use the Scotty ones - bulletproof :)
And they a pain in the arris !! They are a great rod holder but why do people want keep the rod in them and use it ike a crane when winding up or going down ?? Are rods that heavy ??

Wish I had a pound for every time I said "take it out the bloody holder !!":roll1:

Alan

G

·
And they a pain in the arris !! They are a great rod holder but why do people want keep the rod in them and use it ike a crane when winding up or going down ?? Are rods that heavy ??

Wish I had a pound for every time I said "take it out the bloody holder !!":roll1:

Alan
Too true Alan lol !!

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts