World Sea Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

baby fish.....

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  craigenroan 
#1 ·
excuse me for saying...
but the majority of the shore catches look like wee nursery size fish...of all species...:eek:hmy:
to me..if it's under 2lb it aint worth the trip out...
is it worth my trip to catch..?
much as I love to be out on the beaches fishing....:banghead:...the fuel costs...plus the time factor makes it pointless if I 'm not going to catch decent fish..
down in England the minimum catch size was about 5lb...
what do you guys think...??

/

See less See more
#3 ·
excuse me for saying...
but the majority of the shore catches look like wee nursery size fish...of all species...:eek:hmy:
much as I love to be out on the beaches fishing....:banghead:...the fuel costs...plus the time factor makes it pointless if I 'm not going to catch decent fish..
I think there are many species that don't grow to 2lb, let alone 5lb. What on earth do you mean? You seem to have missed the point of what fishing is about for many people.

#6 ·
Silly. :unsure:

#7 ·
excuse me for saying...
/
Well, if I can fling feathers off the pier for an hour and fill up my freezer with Mackerel and Pollack, that's worth it...

#8 ·
Well, if I can fling feathers off the pier for an hour and fill up my freezer with Mackerel and Pollack, that's worth it...
Exactly my point....thank you.I just don't like the idea of wasting a day and catching nothing worth eating.Just wondered how many times out of ten that baby/undersize fish were landed.
(I appear to have been a bit tiddly when I posted this thread btw)

#10 ·
Exactly my point....thank you.I just don't like the idea of wasting a day and catching nothing worth eating.Just wondered how many times out of ten that baby/undersize fish were landed.
(I appear to have been a bit tiddly when I posted this thread btw)
To be honest with me if I was only going to fish for something worth eating then I would rather spend my {limited}time doing something else...I enjoy the travel getting to the mark and also the scenery or meeting folks....if I don't catch anything so what....and I throw back the majority of what do I catch....

#12 ·
Fishings not just about filling your freezer for me its about getting away from the normal for a few hours peace and quiet. I did the fly fishing competition thing for the last 25 odd years to many politics at international level I got ****ed of and fancied a change. The piece and quiet of the west coast is somthing to many people take for granted nowaday. Dont get me wrong I take the odd fish for the pot but getting away for a few hours is what its all about

#13 ·
Yes the vast majority of shore fish are under 1lb never mind 2lb.
The thing with sea fishing is you just never know what might come along whereas in a lake you know what is there.
West coast sea lochs can produce big rays, spurdogs.
Plenty harbours and rock marks that throw up big conger eels.
East coast - always the chance of a double figure cod.
Also look up shore skate fishing - 200lb+ fish big enough?
Now no one said it was easy - like turning up at a stocked lake and flicking out a bollie - you have to learn about weather, tides, species, locations, rigs and tactics, learn to cast a good distance, learn how to handle gear hungry rough ground, dig your own fresh bait etc, etc.
All of the above can take a lifetime especially the further north you are as information is more limited due to less people taking part and sharing info - that for me is part of the beauty - you never finish learning and experimenting and I would take a lonely windswept crag in the beautiful highlands being molested by midges any day over a bailiff controlled crowded mud puddle where the fish are pretty much tame.

Get out and explore, enjoy your fishing for what it is and stop thinking with your belly LOL!!!

P.S if you need some help ask - I can't promise you monsters but I will help where possible.

G
#14 ·
that would be freshwater fish mate...
double figure carp mostly.
thats the reason many people go sea fishing mate,big difference fishing for carp that you know are in a confined space,takes all the mystery of what you MIGHT catch in the sea.
the inshore waters all around the uk are indeed nursery ares for all sorts of species.cod in the winter time up here pollack and cod in summer,hounds down the solway and rays all over the west coast are probably the only guaranteed 5lb plus fish going from the shore if you put the time in.only way to match carp weights is to try for shore tope,or go really big and target shore common skate,which would happily eat a double figure carp for bait if you could cast it out.
cheers rab

#15 ·
Fishing is a lot more than catching the big fish , in fact that's just a bonus unless your target is big specimen obvcourse. at the end of the day your at a COMERCIAL water where these fish have been cared for and released in big numbers , sea fishing you find your own mark , your own tactics , your own fish with out the '' what fly they on'' ''what boilles hot today '' personal opinion a load of bul**it. sea fishing isn't the type of fishing than can be compared to anything else. go out with a few guys off the forum and there vibe might just change your mind, but get your head away from filling the freezing and catching dinner!

#16 ·
took some disadvanted kids out for a few hours fishing. - between the rock pools snd occassional dab they had a ball. its about quality time . relaxing and enjoying ure surroundings . yeah its good to get a pb. but its a lot more than this. fishings like life we never know whats round the corner so we should enjoy the moment. cheers

#22 ·
fishing on a beach or a pier is very therapeutic for me, I have ptsd and other combat related health problems, I often get asked why I have three rods dangling in the water when Im shore fishing, and my answer is that I discovered that if a I focus on one rod my mind still has enough 'wandering time', however if I have more to concentrate on, then I feel that I have allowed my active conscious and my sub-conscious to work away and allow my inner mind to try and elevate and sort out some of the problems I am having in my head.
Dont get me wrong having three rods is quite a task but if they are set at different levels and different styles of end tackle then the problems of catching three fish at once and panicking like a headless chicken are minimum.
when I take the boat out although I always have my gear with me more than not the gear never sees the water as I feel more relaxed out there just drifting along and taking in what beautiful views our coastline can offer.

Some of you may mock what I have just said, but remember what was said earlier, " fishing is so much more for different people" and I always come home more relaxed and in tune than I did when I left home.

enjoy your days relaxation ;)

#23 ·
Aye the demon drink,mobiles and laptops defo nono when on sauce.And to echo what othes are saying ,ive been out for about 3 wks and nada
and with lochallan being only 20mls away as crow flies I am hopeing this is a sighn that fish are on the way.And in this case all news is good news

#24 ·
I thought fishing was all about fun and this GREAT sport, weather you catch small fish or not , if you adapt to that type of fishing its fun, I travel up scotland alot to fish matches and pleasure , great fun and great crack , I have lived in England all my life and never gone fishing and said that i was going to get a 5 lb fish??? what a load of drivvell !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.