World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi all ,well had a full day on Thursday ,started my day of the rocks at Newton ,2 small bass ( Returned ) 2 pouting &nbsp;(Returned ) and 2 doggies (Returned ) &nbsp;you may think why is he making a point on the returned ,To my utter dismay I fished Knab rock in mumbles on the night tide and what I witnessed was nothing short of babaric.
The only fish being caught were our friends the doggies.Ok so they dont go in the freezer or on the plate ,but they are fun to land and its always a pleasure to see the end of the rod bend and the anticipation of what mite be on the hook,and even if its a doggie its deserves to be treated humainly and returned to the sea , I witnessed these guys kick smash and throw back dead in the sea for what appeared to be just pure anger at landing a doggie.Why didn,t I do something I hear you ask,well as we know in this day and age ,One person causing problems for 5/6 people is not wise and I&#39;m pretty sure I&#39;d have had the same treatment as the doggies .Such a nice days fishing left me feeling gutted I can asure you anyway tight lines out there for all you decent fishermen cheers Jury</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Jury, I have to agree with you - doggies arent the best fish in the sea to catch, but personally I am happy with every fish I catch - doggies most definitely included. &nbsp;As you say, when times are slow it is nice just to get a bite, successfully hook up and then see a bend in the rod. &nbsp;Catching doggies helps hone skills we all need/use on other more &#39;fashionable&#39; species. &nbsp;

Can you imagine how those very same &#39;anglers&#39; (using the term very loosely) would moan if there were no doggies to catch and they blanked instead...

No excuse at all for handling them like you describe was happening. &nbsp;Unfortunately most of us have at one time or another been embarrassed by the actions of the mindless few so called &#39;anglers&#39; while out trying to enjoy a days fishing. &nbsp;

My pet hate is turning up at rock marks to find the previous visitor has left all their rubbish behind - lost count of the number of times I have brought home other peoples litter.

Makes your blood boil doesnt it - hey ho, I am off for a quick cast to cheer myself up.</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Poor fish handling always annoys me. I have posted on this topic in the past myself. Nothing will put the general public off anglers more that bad fish handling.

Dog fish are one of my favourite fish, they are just about always willing to give you some sport. I am very happy to bag a dozen doggies in a couple of hours. Squid and Mackerel cocktails off Knab Rock, where the shingle meets the sand is doggie dynamite. I find a good cast is the best after dark.

I have had a doggie "sandpaper" through my line once. they can be a pain when you have to keep changing hooklength, but that is fishing&#33;

Only kill fish that you intend to eat or use as bait and then do it quickly with no fuss or mess.</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts