World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Back from my trip to the Lleyn!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flattiefanatic 
#1 ·
Arrived at Porth Ceiriad on the Thursday and made my way down to the beach; only had one small rod with me as I decided my new beach caster was **** and took it back. I used a two hook rig for flatties with mackerel strips; caught a nice little weaver :mad: who'd must have been on for ages and swallowed the hook totally so using the advise given in this months' SeaAngler, I cut off its head with scissors... brutal.. I have been stung before, it really hurts! The next cast I brought in two small turbot about the size of my hand, too small to make the rod move, so again, both had swallowed the hook and could not be saved. The same happened with the third cast, another small turbot and no matter how hard I tried, could not unhook it so had to kill it. I gave up after that as I certainly wasnt there to kill way undersized fish. I did clean and eat them by the way, I thought it was the least I could do...
Over the next couple of days I fished Porth Iago and Porthdinllean from the rocks using both spinners, lures and mackerel but to no avail. It was really hot and calm every day and nothing seemed to be biting for any anglers.

#2 ·
weener said:
Arrived at Porth Ceiriad on the Thursday and made my way down to the beach; only had one small rod with me as I decided my new beach caster was **** and took it back. I used a two hook rig for flatties with mackerel strips; caught a nice little weaver :mad: who'd must have been on for ages and swallowed the hook totally so using the advise given in this months' SeaAngler, I cut off its head with scissors... brutal.. I have been stung before, it really hurts! The next cast I brought in two small turbot about the size of my hand, too small to make the rod move, so again, both had swallowed the hook and could not be saved. The same happened with the third cast, another small turbot and no matter how hard I tried, could not unhook it so had to kill it. I gave up after that as I certainly wasnt there to kill way undersized fish. I did clean and eat them by the way, I thought it was the least I could do...
Over the next couple of days I fished Porth Iago and Porthdinllean from the rocks using both spinners, lures and mackerel but to no avail. It was really hot and calm every day and nothing seemed to be biting for any anglers.
Hi mate,

If you get one of those titchy turbot that's swallowed the hook, let it go with the hook. They'll rot away in a week or two and the fish should recover.

Cheers - John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.