World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weather the last couple of days has put a downer on me and seeing a friend, ftp900s lure caught bass made me drag out my little 8ft lure rods.
Went over to lakeside with the boy for 55 minutes . Hugely windy, could only fish 2 swims down to how unkept the lake is atm due to no one managing it for years. . . I had a 9lb, he had a 5lb double take then Kai had a lovely 16lber !!!!! Then a little 3lb
20191026_131353.jpg

20191026_132911.jpg
20191026_132857.jpg
Gin clear water , had a mahoosive perch follow ! Definitely give me my lure bug back
The pikes teeth made up for his lack of teeth in the picture hahaha
He played it on his own. In a swim that had a 30ft drop off 10 yards out , and the first ten yards of water were tookup by discarded sleepers and insane amounts of weed, had to hand land it couldnt get a net in the weed , was crazy, had loads of spectators to. First pike attempt in a long time, minimal tackle, took 4 lures and caught on every one. The 3lb got chomped while he was playing it by a upper double we saw it chase it and smash it, hugeeeee teeth marks !!!

Definitely be going for a few more sneaky hour sessions !!!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
The weather the last couple of days has put a downer on me and seeing a friend, ftp900s lure caught bass made me drag out my little 8ft lure rods.
Went over to lakeside with the boy for 55 minutes . Hugely windy, could only fish 2 swims down to how unkept the lake is atm due to no one managing it for years. . . I had a 9lb, he had a 5lb double take then Kai had a lovely 16lber !!!!! Then a little 3lb View attachment 1219001
View attachment 1219003 View attachment 1219005 Gin clear water , had a mahoosive perch follow ! Definitely give me my lure bug back
He played it on his own. In a swim that had a 30ft drop off 1 yards out , and the first ten yards of water were tookup by discarded sleepers and insane amounts of weed, had to hand land it couldnt get a net in the weed , was crazy, had loads of spectators to. First pike attempt in a long time, minimal tackle, took 4 lures and caught on every one. The 3lb got chomped while he was playing it by a upper double we saw it chase it and smash it, hugeeeee teeth marks !!!

Awsome report and pics bud, well done to the lad, star in the making:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,460 Posts
Great angling and great report. Very well done to the young man.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
An excellent report and photos. Well done to you and Kai.

:thumbsup::)

Co-incidentally, I also went lure fishing for pike, at Chigboro Fisheries near Maldon, Essex, yesterday (28 Octo0ber) but I only managed 2 at 4 lb and 3lb respectively.

I wonder if lure fishing for pike is the new cod fishing?

:wink:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Co-incidentally, I also went lure fishing for pike, at Chigboro Fisheries near Maldon, Essex, yesterday (28 Octo0ber) but I only managed 2 at 4 lb and 3lb respectively.

Haha, it cant be , im no good at cod fishing !
It made a nice change on light rods and reels, conditions were awful, and this was a regular poaching haunt of mine as a teen with my friends, so was a really enjoyable day ! Went the day after in bright still conditions for 3 hours and didnt have a single follow . As is fishing lol

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Never actually fished chigborough though, probably will over the winter, let me know if you fancy chucking some plastic about fella !

·
Registered
19,657 Posts
Went over to lakeside with the boy for 55 minutes . Hugely windy, could only fish 2 swims down to how unkept the lake is atm due to no one managing it for years. . . I had a 9lb, he had a 5lb double take then Kai had a lovely 16lber !!!!! Then a little 3lb View attachment 1219001
View attachment 1219003 View attachment 1219005 Gin clear water , had a mahoosive perch follow ! Definitely give me my lure bug back
He played it on his own. In a swim that had a 30ft drop off 1 yards out , and the first ten yards of water were tookup by discarded sleepers and insane amounts of weed, had to hand land it couldnt get a net in the weed , was crazy, had loads of spectators to. First pike attempt in a long time, minimal tackle, took 4 lures and caught on every one. The 3lb got chomped while he was playing it by a upper double we saw it chase it and smash it, hugeeeee teeth marks !!!

Lakeside as in eastleigh..?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lakeside as in eastleigh..?
Lakeside shopping centre lake, in thurrock, essex
From what i know, it was a VERY renowned lake called alexander lake. Pike hugely in excess of 30 lb caught in the 80s . It s only about a third of the size of it was before the shopping centre was built , but it was backfilled so all the fish ended up being concentrated in the one water. I believe a chap called eddie turner ran it , and moved numerous fish about to guarantee thier survival . Its still a huge water, i would say at some points 150m wide and maybe 800m long. Depths vary from 3 -60 feet . I have caught some huge perch and roach from here, both in excess of 2lb . Pike ive had mid 20s .
There were a load of wels catfish released around 25 years ago, so theyre probably in excess of at least 80lb by now ..... probably some over 100lb .
Used to be able to fish it from a hired boat for just 20 quid, but a few years ago the scuba diving school shut down and they "stopped"lol us fishing. I had one huge argument with security as i felt like we basically werent allowed to fish as there was no one to take our money ! Needless to say its still fished, but i believe someone has bought it and intends to bring it back to its former glory. Ive seen huge crucians, 25lb+ common carp in shoals of 20 fish just cruising around. Ive seen a kamen sitting chilling on the island a few years ago !

A very interesting venue, and one you can never be bored with, just a shame that its potential is ridiculous but yet we cant fish it properly as 90 percent of the swims fhat are out of the lakeside shopping centres security guards eyelines are so overgrown you cant even get a lure in the water.
Last time i fished it, a young female security guard started chasing me when she see me running with a pike . "Where are you taking that fish ?"

I said to her, if she would like me drop it 8ft down into 2 feet of water and kill it from the swim i landed it in , she better get an army to make me do that. .
I explained to her i was sprinting eith the fish to get it to somewhere i could release it safely. She soon realised i werent here to steal fish, and how much care was taken. She had an older male security guard with her, they completely changed their opinions from "you cant fish here" to witnessing me and kai with a double take , actually took pictures to show the guy who had just bought the lake, wished us luck and let us carry on, was very happy with that !
Their only doing what their told , and i knew the swim i was fishing would put me in their spotlight, but its always been pikey as hell so was worth it !
We then had another load of spectators watching kai when the 16lb threw itself out the water to hit his surface lure , and they were astounded ! He lost it this time, but they stuck around and 2 casts later, they to were taking pictures in disbelief!

I believe this would be a perfect lake to have an on site facility for youngsters to get to grips with fishing and watercraft and may well put that forward to the new owners

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Lakeside shopping centre lake, in thurrock, essex
From what i know, it was a VERY renowned lake called alexander lake. Pike hugely in excess of 30 lb caught in the 80s . It s only about a third of the size of it was before the shopping centre was built , but it was backfilled so all the fish ended up being concentrated in the one water. I believe a chap called eddie turner ran it , and moved numerous fish about to guarantee thier survival . Its still a huge water, i would say at some points 150m wide and maybe 800m long. Depths vary from 3 -60 feet . I have caught some huge perch and roach from here, both in excess of 2lb . Pike ive had mid 20s .
There were a load of wels catfish released around 25 years ago, so theyre probably in excess of at least 80lb by now ..... probably some over 100lb .
Used to be able to fish it from a hired boat for just 20 quid, but a few years ago the scuba diving school shut down and they "stopped"lol us fishing. I had one huge argument with security as i felt like we basically werent allowed to fish as there was no one to take our money ! Needless to say its still fished, but i believe someone has bought it and intends to bring it back to its former glory. Ive seen huge crucians, 25lb+ common carp in shoals of 20 fish just cruising around. Ive seen a kamen sitting chilling on the island a few years ago !

A very interesting venue, and one you can never be bored with, just a shame that its potential is ridiculous but yet we cant fish it properly as 90 percent of the swims fhat are out of the lakeside shopping centres security guards eyelines are so overgrown you cant even get a lure in the water.
Last time i fished it, a young female security guard started chasing me when she see me running with a pike . "Where are you taking that fish ?"

I said to her, if she would like me drop it 8ft down into 2 feet of water and kill it from the swim i landed it in , she better get an army to make me do that. .
I explained to her i was sprinting eith the fish to get it to somewhere i could release it safely. She soon realised i werent here to steal fish, and how much care was taken. She had an older male security guard with her, they completely changed their opinions from "you cant fish here" to witnessing me and kai with a double take , actually took pictures to show the guy who had just bought the lake, wished us luck and let us carry on, was very happy with that !
Their only doing what their told , and i knew the swim i was fishing would put me in their spotlight, but its always been pikey as hell so was worth it !
We then had another load of spectators watching kai when the 16lb threw itself out the water to hit his surface lure , and they were astounded ! He lost it this time, but they stuck around and 2 casts later, they to were taking pictures in disbelief!

I believe this would be a perfect lake to have an on site facility for youngsters to get to grips with fishing and watercraft and may well put that forward to the new owners
Both interesting and informative.

Didn't Mick Toomer have some involvement with Lakeside at one point? I used to go to school with him - about 50 years ago. LOL.

:);)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Another cracking video and well done to the both of you.

Carp on a lure...who'd have though it?

:):thumbsup:

I used to lure fish for pike at Northlands Park, also in Basildon but first they banned it on the Café Lake and now it's banned on the Road Lake as well (so now a total ban).

:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts