World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit strange this........I'm mostly a salmon/ brown trout/ sea trout river fisher, but started as a kid in the mid-70's fishing from boats out of Girvan and Arbroath. My best fish was a 16lb cod from Girvan around 1978.
Nostalgia and all that, but I hear those days are long gone.

Anyway, I now have 2 kids just under 10 who are keen to go fishing and I reckoned "it was good enough for me......", so I'm looking to get them out on a couple of boats. Problem is, I'm basically a newbie to boat fishing (only done it twice in the last 15 years or so), so I'm here seeking some advice.
Firstly, are Girvan/ Arbroath fishing ok off the boats and what's the best time of year to go there? Typically, a few mackerel for sport, but more importantly a couple of nice Cod for the table would be lovely.

Secondly, I fished from a boat out of Scrabster about 15 years ago and would like to do that again, but would like to know the best time to book.

I have a couple of other questions, but that will do for now.

Many thanks for any advice

·
Registered
467 Posts
not sure about girvan but arbroath will see you good for some mackerel and cod!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi mate

Try John/Keith S****ie on 01241 875453 or 07543005908,they'll take small parties/individuals out of Arbroath, best to book now even if your not going out for a few weeks.
We used squid and mackerel strip on bottom two hooks of hokkais/feathers/shrimp rigs, and supermarket prawns(red ones) seemed to work as well.

IMHO the sea down at Girvan might have to much of a swell for young kids
(my mates 10yr old didn't like it at all but he was fine out of Arbroath and Portpatrick even in November).

If you don't have any luck with John try Jim S****ie(no relation) on
01241 873957.

Hope this helps........Tight lines

Eck.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Look for Tony Wass and his boat The Rachael Clare from Girvan.:1a:

Tonys details

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that guys. What month do you think is best......and what about Scrabster? When would that be worth a go?

·
Registered
336 Posts
As a thought, You could try Douglas at Taynuilt for his boats on Loch Etive (search forums for his number). You'll get a chance of doggies, spurdog, pollack, cod, whiting, pouting, thornback rays (to name a few). It's relatively sheltered for the kids and you drive the boat too!! :yeah: it'll give the kids a go without being too bumpy for them

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
As a thought, You could try Douglas at Taynuilt for his boats on Loch Etive (search forums for his number). You'll get a chance of doggies, spurdog, pollack, cod, whiting, pouting, thornback rays (to name a few). It's relatively sheltered for the kids and you drive the boat too!! :yeah: it'll give the kids a go without being too bumpy for them
I'll second that. Guaranteed some fish using baited hokkais on the bottom as described above.

·
Registered
24,896 Posts
hope your right m8 coz if you ainnt your in the preverbial . a lot of good guys might take that the wrong way and as always contact the person/persons running the charters
Stormdrifts owner/skipper may well be reading this post right now.:secret:

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
check his site it is back up and running .
took a bit longer than expected ,
davey is a great skipper ,
pity i never had a chance to fish with him this year ,
btw he kept in contact with me , about my charter at the time .

back to post
arbroath can be a bit lumpy at time , as can scrabster ,
but here are a link for arbroath
Girl Katherine II
Heather isle is missing :unsure:
also doug at etive great for kids in to fish
Dougs Boats

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stormdrifts owner/skipper may well be reading this post right now.:secret:
What has that got to do with anything? :unsure:

in post no8 i asked
"Didnt this boat loose its license for being unsafe?"

in post no10 i sayed
"i am sure that i red a while back that the boat failed its safety test"

i stand buy what i wrote in post 10, although I dont remember were i red it

and so far noone has sayed that the boat DIDNT loose its license.

perhasp if Stormdrifts owner/skipper IS reading this post right now he/she can set the record strait.

·
Registered
61 Posts
According to the PMs I have received one of the guys on here had to cancel their trip with him for some time in the next few weeks and received no response from him, claiming that he has had licence suspended due to problems with boat.

Another PM tells me that IF Stormdrift was fit for sea he wouldn't book it!

I am also told that there are "better boats up there than that."

:schmoll:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON???

·
Registered
24,896 Posts
According to the PMs I have received one of the guys on here had to cancel their trip with him for some time in the next few weeks and received no response from him, claiming that he has had licence suspended due to problems with boat.

Ive a rough idea whats going on,but it is up to the owner/skipper of stormdrift to explain whats happening.

·
Registered
810 Posts
:bangin:

I know what's going on. We have here one disgruntled angler who has an axe to grind with a certain charter boat skipper and wishes to air his dirty washing in public rather than do the decent thing and SHUT UP.:bangin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive a rough idea whats going on,but it is up to the owner/skipper of stormdrift to explain whats happening.
Let's play a game of " i know someting that you dont know !!!"

The skipper is not replying to fone messages and hasn't been seen on these boards since June.

what are the guys who have trips booked with this boat meant to do?

I thought that these forums were for the exchange of information, not for bragging about info that you have and are refusing to share.

How do folks who have made bookings with him know what is going on?

·
Registered
61 Posts

I know what's going on. We have here one disgruntled angler who has an axe to grind with a certain charter boat skipper and wishes to air his dirty washing in public rather than do the decent thing and SHUT UP.:bangin:
they might have an axe to grind, but that is no reason for withholding information that would benefit others.

they should be encouraged to tell what they know, and not told to shut up

·
Registered
24,896 Posts

I reckon youve hit the nail smack on the head there mate!!!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: I would HATE to be a charter skipper.:thumbdown

1 - 20 of 32 Posts