World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many catch reports on here lately, so I thought I'd pop one up :) The weather on many days and monster tides on others has curtailed our wreck fishing during August with only a handful of trips all month.

So, it made a change to be able to get out the last couple of days to the offshore wrecks in search of cod, conger and ling.

Yesterday was a conger trip with half a dozen caught and a couple dropped (all returned to live another day). Best two went 70lb and 40lb with the rest in the 20 - 30lb class. We also had a handful of cod and one decent ling of 13lb. Most of the action came during a window of about 2 hours - rest of the day was quiet.

Today was a cod trip - with a couple of conger rods out too. In the end a strengthening easterly breeze over tide once the flood started curtailed our wreck anchoring plans to the morning only, but we still managed 13 decent cod to 13lb and 2 conger to 40lb in a 2 and a half hour period. We moved inshore for the afternoon - nothing to report there !!

Mick caught her first ever conger today and true to form she caught a decent one of 40lb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nice fishing Ray, looks like the easterlies are here for a while now though, and will scupper my chances of a refresher trip before I go to Ireland in a fortnight.
Not long now until the cod move in to the inshore grounds, so I hope we have a calm winter, and can get a few good doubles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice fishing Ray, looks like the easterlies are here for a while now though, and will scupper my chances of a refresher trip before I go to Ireland in a fortnight.
Not long now until the cod move in to the inshore grounds, so I hope we have a calm winter, and can get a few good doubles.
Cheers Terry,

You might be able to nick a few hours fishing with the forecasts this week - it was quite lumpy today though - yesterday flat as a pancake !!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
hi ray im not liking the look of those cod!!!! im not holding them lol hopefully cod will move inshore soon and your favourite welshman will grace you with his presence again

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well done all some great fishing.............................................. :victory:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice fishing Ray well done

and well done Mick for a decent fish for her first eel.

I was hoping to get out this weekend on the small tides, but the easterlies look a little strong offshore again

Charlie

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
hi...well done mick...`fantastic` eel.....
a top report there ray...its good to know all the fish have not swam away west...
love the photos..!!!
did the cod fall to the baits.?
that ling is a nice fish...are they not common off sussex..?

nice one ...andy

·
Registered
999 Posts
well done ray- glad to see you keeping the punters on the fish- well done to mick first conger and not a broken rod in sight{or did she use a hand line}lol:whistling

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Great report & pics,some chunky conger there and that ling is a cracker:1a:.

Ian

·
Registered
861 Posts
Great fishing Ray - once again you are finding the fish. I was chuffed with my first eel. (thanks guys for all the well dones!)
Looks like your on a roll with the not only the conger but the cod and the ling too. :showoff::showoff:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guy's

It got better today. We managed 3 hours fishing before wind over tide and lumpy seas forced us inshore again, but managed 20 cod and a ling in that short spell - so things are looking up :)

No conger today as we didn't target them but a couple were hooked and bit us off on cod traces

did the cod fall to the baits.?
that ling is a nice fish...are they not common off sussex..?
Hi Andy, all the cod fell to bait at anchor

Ling are slowly reappearing here and there and we've seen a few this year - nothing like the numbers years ago but it's good to see them back to some degree :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
nice fishing ray. i defo got to get a place with you in the very near future. had a look at your spaces. i fancy a couple of trips like this one (anchoring over a wreck). is that classed as a ground fishing trip on your spaces?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is that classed as a ground fishing trip on your spaces?
Hiya skillpot, would be good to see you. Our ground rates are inshore only to a few miles offshore for an 8 hour day - so the wrecking rate applies due to extra diesel used and a longer day (9 hours).

The cod have been inconsistent this summer - so let's hope this is the start of a reasonable and more consistent late summer/autumn period :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Hiya skillpot, would be good to see you. Our ground rates are inshore only to a few miles offshore for an 8 hour day - so the wrecking rate applies due to extra diesel used and a longer day (9 hours).

The cod have been inconsistent this summer - so let's hope this is the start of a reasonable and more consistent late summer/autumn period :)
hi ray no problem. have you got any dates this month for wrecking at anchor? pm me if you want. im not worried how much it is i just like differant types of fishing. i wreck with pedro on sea leopard so that sort of fishing im sorted gilling etc. i fancy wrecking at anchor for cod conger etc, or codding in the winter in general.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
are the ling re appearing for a percific reason..where they over fished or just not there in any numbers before..as there ling are like cod are conditions out there off our coast improving enough for them to increase in numbers..there nice fish..and have now decided i want to catch one..!!!!!
i have caught ling look-a-likies off the beach,,but not any proper ones..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are the ling re appearing for a percific reason..where they over fished or just not there in any numbers before..as there ling are like cod are conditions out there off our coast improving enough for them to increase in numbers..there nice fish..and have now decided i want to catch one..!!!!!
They've not been around in any number for many years and slowly starting to reappear - new stock migrating from other parts of the channel would be my guess, rather than any changes in conditions.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
They've not been around in any number for many years and slowly starting to reappear - new stock migrating from other parts of the channel would be my guess, rather than any changes in conditions.
hi ...thats cool...new stock.. !!!!that makes it sounds like theres been a ling shop clearance somewhere....arkwright..that 2/6d

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Hiya skillpot I've got some spaces left Monday 20th and Thursday 30th this month :)
hi ray thanks for getting back to me. i can only do fridays and saturdays so will proberly have to wait to next month and book on one of your codding trips. should be in more numbers by then.

·
Registered
822 Posts
save some of those eels for us on the 17th ray thats if the remnants of hurricane earl does not decide to reside over us at that time !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts